Chief;2083494 said:
up-LICDTPGLIL9K3EDJ

I agree.

McPhee does it for mee.

*wiping the drool from my desk* I have the McPhever :D

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I hate DA made it in over Syesha but DC is left and he was the best imho all season.

I thought this week detailed exactly why DA is not ready.
He sang the worst performance of the top 3 with his terribad Chris Brown performance that even my 8 year old realized was a total train wreck and then he sang a completely soulless Billy Joel.

The kid has no rhythm at all and he just looks painful if he does anything other than stand still and sing in one key. He can belt out that one key to booming heights but good lord is it ever monotone and boring. Randy Jackson is always saying he could sing the phone book... but thats just it, he sounds every song like he is singing the phone book. Every song has the same tone.

Syesha has something to her. She misses more notes than the other two combined but she has presence and comes across as a grown women with an ability to entertain. DA may very well play better on the radio after his stuff has been sufficiently mixed(see Britney Spears-ified) to add some flavor but is there any doubt who will have better videos or live performances.

They are very lucky they talked DC into competing because he has hands down been the only true top notch talent week in and week out. Carly imho was the only other person who could come close and she had a couple of down weeks.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
jterrell;2083627 said:
I hate DA made it in over Syesha but DC is left and he was the best imho all season.

He sang the worst performance of the top 3 with his terribad Chris Brown performance that even my 8 year old realized was a total train wreck and then he sang a completely soulless Billy Joel.

The kid has no rhythm at all and he just looks painful if he does anything other than stand still and sing in one key. He can belt out that one key to booming heights but good lord is it ever monotone and boring. Randy Jackson is always saying he could sing the phone book... but thats just it, he sounds every song like he is singing the phone book. Every song has the same tone.

Syesha has something to her. She misses more notes than the other two combined but she has presence and comes across as a grown women with an ability to entertain. DA may very well play better on the radio after his stuff has been sufficiently mixed(see Britney Spears-ified) to add some flavor but is there any doubt who will have better videos or live performances.

They are very lucky they talked DC into competing because he has hands down been the only true top notch talent week in and week out. Carly imho was the only other person who could come close and she had a couple of down weeks.

If Fantasia can sell records anyone can. My goodness she was painful to watch and listen too.

FloridaRob

Reaction score
jterrell;2083627 said:

Says you. The best vocal talent week in and week out has been Archuleta. The best vocal performance of the season was Archuleta singing John Lenons Imagine. That song alone propelled him to the top two. The kid has always had top two writtten all over him. And again, it is not just pre teen age little girls that support him. Anybody that isn't a Rocker want Archuleta.

I agree that his Dads antics have been over the top but probably no more so than any Dad that is invoived in their kids careers. DA doesnt need any mixing in a studio to have a good sound. the kid can have a piano or guitar play alone and the vocals would sell.

With that said, I love Cooks voice too but I guarantee at 17 yrs old, he could not carry Archuletts song book. In 6 or 8 yrs when DA is Cooks age, I think his voice will be known as one of the best of all time. Heavy breathing into the microphone or not.

FloridaRob

Reaction score
Yeagermeister;2083673 said:
If Fantasia can sell records anyone can. My goodness she was painful to watch and listen too.

and with that red hair last night, I had to flip the channel about 20 seconds into her performance. Man that was some ugly Red hair.

irvin88

Reaction score
Taylor Hicks prepares for Broadway role in 'Grease'

Taylor Hicks will make his Broadway debut on June 6, playing Teen Angel in "Grease" at the Brooks Atkinson Theatre.

Taylor Hicks said being in New York for three months will allow him to continue working on his next CD. He's been writing songs and recording demos in Nashville, Hicks said, and hopes to release a new single in the fall. The Hoover native and former "American Idol" winner, 31, will perform in the musical through Sept. 7. Hicks plans to announce his Broadway run on television this morning, on NBC's "The Today Show."

"I'm honored for the opportunity to experience Broadway," Hicks said Thursday. "I feel blessed and excited."

He'll appear in one number in the musical, singing "Beauty School Dropout." That's traditional for his character, a hip guardian angel who makes a showy appearance in Act II, offering advice to a teen named Frenchy.

"This particular part, Teen Angel, really allows me to put my toe in the water and test the waters," Hicks said. "I've always been a little over the top, so this is perfect for me."

If he does well on stage and draws audiences, Hicks said, he'll probably look for another, larger role on Broadway.

Meantime, he's been listening to "Beauty School Dropout" and meeting with the "Grease" team to create his niche in the musical.

"It's a cool song," Hicks said. "I can see myself being able to Taylorize it. Who knows? Maybe I'll do the Elvis meets Aretha Franklin meets Joe Cocker version of 'Beauty School Dropout.' I don't think anybody's taken that approach yet. I'll get with the producers and sink my teeth into the role."

Hicks said he's never seen a theater production of "Grease," but has watched the 1978 movie version, which starred John Travolta and Olivia Newton-John as lovelorn 1950s high-schoolers. In the film, Frankie Avalon played the Teen Angel.

On stage, the character has been portrayed by singers ranging from Chubby Checker to Al Jarreau to Jennifer Holliday.

"Grease" made its first appearance on Broadway in 1972, had a long run and was revived in 1994. The show has been produced in London over the years, as well, and national touring casts have traveled throughout the United States.

The current Broadway production, which opened in August 2007, stars Max Crumm and Laura Osnes, who won their parts on the TV reality series "Grease: You're the One That I Want."

Hicks is likely to be the most recognizable name in the cast, despite his relatively small part. Teen Angel tends to be a flamboyant force in the show, typically wearing a large, fluffy set of wings.

Will Hicks continue that costume tradition? "I might," he said. "I might be flying, too."

kristie

Reaction score
whatever songs david cook picks, i have faith in him. i think he'll make the songs his own. he's done it before & done it well.

irvin88

Reaction score
kristie;2084176 said:
whatever songs david cook picks, i have faith in him. i think he'll make the songs his own. he's done it before & done it well.

If I offered you $5,000 and a free front row ticket to an Archuletta concert, would you go ? Here's the catch: when he sings that Chris Brown song you have to jump up and down like a 10 year old girl and scream his name constantly.;)

kristie

Reaction score
irvin88;2084184 said:
If I offered you $5,000 and a free front row ticket to an Archuletta concert, would you go ? Here's the catch: when he sings that Chris Brown song you have to jump up and down like a 10 year old girl and scream his name constantly.;)

let me think about it...no.:p: :D

kristie

Reaction score
irvin88;2084076 said:
Taylor Hicks prepares for Broadway role in 'Grease'

Taylor Hicks will make his Broadway debut on June 6, playing Teen Angel in "Grease" at the Brooks Atkinson Theatre.

Taylor Hicks said being in New York for three months will allow him to continue working on his next CD. He's been writing songs and recording demos in Nashville, Hicks said, and hopes to release a new single in the fall. The Hoover native and former "American Idol" winner, 31, will perform in the musical through Sept. 7. Hicks plans to announce his Broadway run on television this morning, on NBC's "The Today Show."

"I'm honored for the opportunity to experience Broadway," Hicks said Thursday. "I feel blessed and excited."

He'll appear in one number in the musical, singing "Beauty School Dropout." That's traditional for his character, a hip guardian angel who makes a showy appearance in Act II, offering advice to a teen named Frenchy.

"This particular part, Teen Angel, really allows me to put my toe in the water and test the waters," Hicks said. "I've always been a little over the top, so this is perfect for me."

If he does well on stage and draws audiences, Hicks said, he'll probably look for another, larger role on Broadway.

Meantime, he's been listening to "Beauty School Dropout" and meeting with the "Grease" team to create his niche in the musical.

"It's a cool song," Hicks said. "I can see myself being able to Taylorize it. Who knows? Maybe I'll do the Elvis meets Aretha Franklin meets Joe Cocker version of 'Beauty School Dropout.' I don't think anybody's taken that approach yet. I'll get with the producers and sink my teeth into the role."

Hicks said he's never seen a theater production of "Grease," but has watched the 1978 movie version, which starred John Travolta and Olivia Newton-John as lovelorn 1950s high-schoolers. In the film, Frankie Avalon played the Teen Angel.

On stage, the character has been portrayed by singers ranging from Chubby Checker to Al Jarreau to Jennifer Holliday.

"Grease" made its first appearance on Broadway in 1972, had a long run and was revived in 1994. The show has been produced in London over the years, as well, and national touring casts have traveled throughout the United States.

The current Broadway production, which opened in August 2007, stars Max Crumm and Laura Osnes, who won their parts on the TV reality series "Grease: You're the One That I Want."

Hicks is likely to be the most recognizable name in the cast, despite his relatively small part. Teen Angel tends to be a flamboyant force in the show, typically wearing a large, fluffy set of wings.

Will Hicks continue that costume tradition? "I might," he said. "I might be flying, too."

i would NOT pay to see taylor hicks in "grease". just the thought of him in it scares me.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
irvin88;2084184 said:

I would.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
kristie;2085964 said:
talk about priceless. :lmao2:

Reminds me of the face I probably had when I watched that season when she was singing. She's awful, and has always been awful. Thanks for pointing out the time because there is no way I could have actually watched that.

irvin88

Reaction score
Personal song choices have leaked: David Archuleta will reprise “Imagine” per Nigel Lythgoe Thursday on Ryan Seacrest’s KISS morning show. David Cook will sing a new song, U2’s “I Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For”, per a report on FOX news. Cookie is the first Idol to get a U2 song cleared for competition.
The Davids picked their own coronation song from the 10 most popular songs in the list of 20 that were available for online voting, per Nigel. How’s that for a twist? We don’t know which song either contestant has chosen yet.
Clive Davis chose a song for the Davids. There are rumors swirling about, but there are no clear choices yet. I’ll bet the picks are AWESOME! /sarcasm.
Wednesday Finale:

The So You Think You Can Dance dancers will be performing on Wednesday’s finale
Two Idols from each of the previous six seasons will come back to perform a group number. Hooray! Bo Bice has already confirmed.
There’s going to be another “Dead Elvis” video (last year, Celine Dion sang a “duet” with Elvis Presley), this time including several people, per Nigel on KISS.
The “biggest star” in the world will be there, says Nigel. Robert Downey Jr. perhaps? He’ll be there according to the FOX report. Nigel is probably high enough to think Robert Downey Jr. is a big star.
Nigel told Ryan this morning that the Top 5 will sing duets with “somebody”. FOX news is reporting (see video after the jump) that “each of the Idols” will be singing with one of the celebrity mentors who appeared during the season. There were four mentors: Mariah Carey, Neil Diamond, Dolly Parton and Andrew Lloyd Webber. If she’s talking about the Top 5 duets, who would be the 5th mentor? Paul McCartney or Ringo Starr? McCartney would fit the “biggest star in the world” description. But, neither Beatle were actually mentors. Or, maybe the FOX reporter is talking about something else entirely?
Nigel and FOX confirmed a Jonas Brothers appearance.
Paula Abdul will debut a song from her upcoming album, and the Top 12 will also be performing alongside Paula for a special group number. Who knows. Maybe Pauler got cold feet and changed her mind. Yahoo.
The band One Republic (responsible for the mega-hit “Apologize”. Ryan Tedder from the band recently wrote for Clay Aiken and Blake Lewis) canceled a gig in order to be available for the finale. Daily Press

kristie

Reaction score
irvin88;2087735 said:
Personal song choices have leaked: David Archuleta will reprise “Imagine” per Nigel Lythgoe Thursday on Ryan Seacrest’s KISS morning show. David Cook will sing a new song, U2’s “I Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For”, per a report on FOX news. Cookie is the first Idol to get a U2 song cleared for competition.
The Davids picked their own coronation song from the 10 most popular songs in the list of 20 that were available for online voting, per Nigel. How’s that for a twist? We don’t know which song either contestant has chosen yet.
Clive Davis chose a song for the Davids. There are rumors swirling about, but there are no clear choices yet. I’ll bet the picks are AWESOME! /sarcasm.
Wednesday Finale:

The So You Think You Can Dance dancers will be performing on Wednesday’s finale
Two Idols from each of the previous six seasons will come back to perform a group number. Hooray! Bo Bice has already confirmed.
There’s going to be another “Dead Elvis” video (last year, Celine Dion sang a “duet” with Elvis Presley), this time including several people, per Nigel on KISS.
The “biggest star” in the world will be there, says Nigel. Robert Downey Jr. perhaps? He’ll be there according to the FOX report. Nigel is probably high enough to think Robert Downey Jr. is a big star.
Nigel told Ryan this morning that the Top 5 will sing duets with “somebody”. FOX news is reporting (see video after the jump) that “each of the Idols” will be singing with one of the celebrity mentors who appeared during the season. There were four mentors: Mariah Carey, Neil Diamond, Dolly Parton and Andrew Lloyd Webber. If she’s talking about the Top 5 duets, who would be the 5th mentor? Paul McCartney or Ringo Starr? McCartney would fit the “biggest star in the world” description. But, neither Beatle were actually mentors. Or, maybe the FOX reporter is talking about something else entirely?
Nigel and FOX confirmed a Jonas Brothers appearance.
Paula Abdul will debut a song from her upcoming album, and the Top 12 will also be performing alongside Paula for a special group number. Who knows. Maybe Pauler got cold feet and changed her mind. Yahoo.
The band One Republic (responsible for the mega-hit “Apologize”. Ryan Tedder from the band recently wrote for Clay Aiken and Blake Lewis) canceled a gig in order to be available for the finale. Daily Press

i can't wait to hear david cook sing the u2 song. i'll bet it'll sound awesome. :D

FloridaRob

Reaction score
The competition wasnt even close. Cook was very good but Archuleta was awesome. I didnt like either of the singers 2nd choices. I thought that Cooks first song was his best but it was not as good as Archuletas. Good job by both guys tonight and both will have successfull recording careers but DA was about as good as any singer has ever been in the finals....