Another sign we’re close?

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Jerry’s personal agenda is getting more credit for winning. His ego won’t allow for someone else to be a Bigger face for our franchise.

He only wants to win his way . Which is fine. It’s his franchise. But if you’re insisting on running the kitchen then you must take the heat. Which he is more than willing to do. Not sure why some fans can’t handle it?

I think that is your personal take on it. BP has said he liked and enjoyed working for Jerry and that people on the outside had the wrong perception.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
All owners are NOT the final word on football decisions. Their GM or VP is if not their HC. And why they’re held more directly responsible.
Because some of the owners are more investors and investors are used to someone else being responsible for running the company. And most realize they know very little about running the company they're investing in.

Booger was dangerous because he thought he knew more about it going in and when he had the opportunity to learn from people who do knew more and have more experience than he did, he let his ego get in the way.

And early on his defenders were all about "hey, he played on a national championship college team". That's like saying I ate in a 5 star restaurant; therefore, I am qualified to own and run one. There were 60 other players on that team and not one of them bought a NFL team.

It's very simple, either one gives credit to Booger for learning his job better or attributes that to something else and I give the man credit. Is he the best or most effective GM? No, but he's far from the worst and has distanced himself even further but that's just my opinion.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I think that is your personal take on it. BP has said he liked and enjoyed working for Jerry and that people on the outside had the wrong perception.
Parcells also said” you have to convince Jerry to go against his instincts”.

And it’s not just my personal take on it. I’m aligned with most of the Dallas media and local fans.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Because some of the owners are more investors and investors are used to someone else being responsible for running the company. And most realize they know very little about running the company they're investing in.

Booger was dangerous because he thought he knew more about it going in and when he had the opportunity to learn from people who do knew more and have more experience than he did, he let his ego get in the way.

And early on his defenders were all about "hey, he played on a national championship college team". That's like saying I ate in a 5 star restaurant; therefore, I am qualified to own and run one. There were 60 other players on that team and not one of them bought a NFL team.

It's very simple, either one gives credit to Booger for learning his job better or attributes that to something else and I give the man credit. Is he the best or most effective GM? No, but he's far from the worst and has distanced himself even further but that's just my opinion.
Yep

I’ve said for years if all owners were mandated to follow Jerry’s lead of Socks to Jocks , Cowboys might dominate the NFL for he’s one of if not one of the most qualified owners to also be a GM running football operations but not when up against more full time formidable NFL former coaches and personnel.

Also, as I’ve often argued wearing both hats of the owner and GM can result in a conflict of interest as he might place profits and popularity above sound football decisions.

Last edited:

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Parcells also said” you have to convince Jerry to go against his instincts”.

And it’s not just my personal take on it. I’m aligned with most of the Dallas media and local fans.

So Jerry listens even to big ego like Parcells. Yet when put in the position with either taking Ware or Spears whom BP wanted with the 1st pick Jerry went with Irelands argument to take Ware. Jerry is not running rough shot over people. And yes you and many fans have their own perception and unless you are in these meeting all you have is your own perceptions. As for media yeah that are just fact based. lol

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There is a lot more we don't know vs. what some fans assume they "know."
Agree, I can do nothing more than observe and interpret what I hear and see and it is nothing more than opinion. But that's what we're all about here because if the rules become only posting about things I know, gonna be spending a lot less time here.

And we would see a lot less lash out if these thoughts were preceded by "I believe" or "I think" instead of having some mystery factual base that causes argument. What's really funny, being on these boards for so many years, is how many times I found myself in an argument or debate and wasn't even close to being certain myself. I would laugh and ask myself "what the hell am I defending here if I am not sure I believe it"?

But, my friend, this is not opinion. Booger is in charge, the HMFIC.:cool:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
So Jerry listens even to big ego like Parcells. Yet when put in the position with either taking Ware or Spears whom BP wanted with the 1st pick Jerry went with Irelands argument to take Ware. Jerry is not running rough shot over people. And yes you and many fans have their own perception and unless you are in these meeting all you have is your own perceptions. As for media yeah that are just fact based. lol
I’m more apt to listen to Cowboy beat writers who are much closer to the situation than some anonymous fans on a forum.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
and I tend to listen those who have worked for him such as BP than to some message board fan.
I listen to Bill also. Bill quotes basically support my narrative as well. I think watching him during his time here we could read how he felt about Jerry’s meddling.

the_h0wey

Reaction score
sad how far we ve fallen where we need other things to make us feel good.

SJ will not be different from his dad. if he was, we d see it by now.
I think we've seen huge improvements in the front office. The drafting has been much better as of late, and we aren't overspending in free agency. The money we are spending is to keep our own players.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Interesting as he let some have their say and then time to shut up.

I do not think he is as involved in as much day to day but if it's important, he's the final approval.

Booger has built his persona and is the face of the team, even has people calling his stadium Booger World, or something to that effect. What would he do? Crazy Al probably knew he should not be as involved as he was but that's who he was. Al Davis and the Oakland Raiders were inseparable in his mind and in mine as well. I think Booger has reached that level with this team and cannot imagine not being joined at the hip.

Some feel since he's 75 that that's wind down time, jump on the boat and play pirate and the saucy wench but some men cannot let go and go into that good night. If he didn't have those interviews to look forward to and some people interested in what he has to say, he loses relevance and that is a hard thing to take.

...lol, make a rabbit hug a hound.:)

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I listen to Bill also. Bill quotes basically support my narrative as well. I think watching him during his time here we could read how he felt about Jerry’s meddling.

You could read it? BS I go by what he says not your version of body language or reading someone mind. I go by what Parcells says he knows he was there not you

One of Jones’ former sparring partners disagrees with that take. Bill Parcells said that the image of Jones is “distorted” and that Jones is a “good listener” who will adjust his own decisions and opinions if your arguments make sense. And he said that Jones’ habit of sticking his nose into every decision was something that drew him to the job because he didn’t want to work for an owner who was blasé about running the team.

“But Jerry isn’t like that. You want to be somewhere where it’s important to the people and certainly it’s a high-profile franchise without question,” Parcells said, via the team’s website. “I just felt like those are the kinds of things I look forward to. I was trying to do something at a place like that. I like them. I think they’re a good group. I think they’re passionate. I think they’re trying to be successful in the business. Hey, that’s all a coach can ask for.”

CCBoy

Reaction score
He’s in the HOF as a Contributor not GM. Not sure everyone understands the difference?
Says you...

.Purchased Cowboys in 1989, restored winning tradition … First owner to win three Super Bowls in first seven years of ownership … Cowboys made seven playoff appearances, six division titles and three in Super Bowl wins in first decade … Dallas has advanced to postseason 13 times under Jones … Cowboys posted 10-win seasons 12 times during era … Led franchise to 10 division crowns … Vision was driving influence for AT&T stadium … Provides NFL leadership in marketing, sponsorship, television, stadium management, labor negotiations

https://www.profootballhof.com/players/jerry-jones/

Last edited:

DHCBF66

Reaction score
...the fact that commentators are now saying Stephen and Will McClay, and not Jerry, are running things.

Discuss....
If Jerry wants a guy Jerry gets his guy I have no doubts about it! Just look to the D_Ware pick when everyone wanted Merriman but JJ really wanted D_Ware.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I think some fans believe it’s the Homeristic duty to defend everything Cowboys and since Jerry is the owner he falls under that window.

But like with owner or anyone in the public eye criticism comes with the territory.

Jerry deserves much credit for his early success with Jimmy and deserves much criticism for what’s taken place since.

And will receive praise again if he reaches that plateau.

It’s all fair in love and war.

CCBoy

Reaction score
You could read it? BS I go by what he says not your version of body language or reading someone mind. I go by what Parcells says he knows he was there not you

One of Jones’ former sparring partners disagrees with that take. Bill Parcells said that the image of Jones is “distorted” and that Jones is a “good listener” who will adjust his own decisions and opinions if your arguments make sense. And he said that Jones’ habit of sticking his nose into every decision was something that drew him to the job because he didn’t want to work for an owner who was blasé about running the team.

“But Jerry isn’t like that. You want to be somewhere where it’s important to the people and certainly it’s a high-profile franchise without question,” Parcells said, via the team’s website. “I just felt like those are the kinds of things I look forward to. I was trying to do something at a place like that. I like them. I think they’re a good group. I think they’re passionate. I think they’re trying to be successful in the business. Hey, that’s all a coach can ask for.”

Nothing like the truth uninhibited by a stereotype...:)