Another year not addressing QB1 deficiency

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
We go 5-1 with Cooper Rush.

Imagine an actual skilled QB getting a shot.

That's why I'm saying that Dak is going to be under a lot of pressure this year to produce imo. It's telling that he remains not extended, when that was something that seemed like a foregone conclusion in March. He's going to be on the last year of his deal next year, and the draft class looks good next year. He's got the team that I think can match Philly. It's really up to Dak, especially if we can get a back and a kicker this draft, as to how this season goes. If he can just competently drive the bus and not do anything overly clever, then I think he will be successful. If he tries to be overly clever, then it's not going to work. If the latter happens, I expect that a QB will be taken next year.

I also think that it's telling that the Cowboys took almost the full 10 minutes to make the 1st round pick. I understand that they were on the phone with the Chiefs, but that doesn't explain the nearly 10 minutes that was taken. With Levis on the board, I can't help but wonder. If Parsons and Quinn didn't push as hard as they did for Mazi, would Levis be a Cowboy?

shabazz

Reaction score
This thought makes perfect sense if Howie Roseman was the Dallas Cowboys general manager. He isn't though. He's drafting out of Philadelphia.
And to be fair, it has happened through the Romo era as well so it’s not about Dak

they simply lock on to the current quarterback and ensure there’s never any serious competition at the Qb position……their drafting and “has been“ FA backups they sign have proven that

im just surprised that an alleged astute businessman doesn’t hedge his investment by ensuring theirs a capable backup especially when he has a team that can seriously contend and when the payroll is at 225 Million dollars

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Jimmy Johnson/Jerry Jones Era

Troy Aikman/Drafted 1989 first round as rookie franchise quarterback (Johnson influence)
Steve Walsh/Added in supplemental draft 1989 as QB1 insurance (Johnson influence)
Bill Musgrave/Drafted 1991 fourth round as quarterback depth (Johnson influence)

~Aikman retires/team lacks franchise quarterback~

Jerry Jones Era

Quincy Carter/Drafted 2001 2nd round as rookie franchise quarterback (veteran Tony Banks booted to prove the point)

~Tony Romo takes over as franchise quarterback~

Isaiah Stanback/Drafted 2007 fourth round as a wide receiver
Stephen McGee/Drafted 2009 fourth round as quarterback depth
Dak Prescott/Drafted 2016 fourth round as quarterback depth

~Romo injured/Jones & Jason Garrett do not reinstate him as starter/Prescott takes over as franchise quarterback~

Mike White/Drafted 2018 fifth round as quarterback depth
Ben DiNucci/Drafted 2020 seventh round as quarterback depth

Above is Dallas Cowboys history at the position during Jones' reign as general manager. And for some totally illogical reason, some observers believe/think/hope influences like Will McClay, Mike McCarthy, etc., will motivate Jones into investing a DAY 1 or DAY 2 draft pick at the position with an established franchise quarterback on the roster.

Forget history. Disregard history. Be purposefully befuddled.

WsT5d8O.gif

Day 3 was always the logical beginning of expectation for the team adding a quarterback via the draft. Which player does anyone hope will get picked up later today?
Would love QB Dorian Thompson-Robinson...

If he's there late in the 5th round when the Cowboys pick, I would definitely pick him up.

kskboys

Reaction score
Dak over Dallas fans know nothing about the QB position and the importance of it.

That's why you constantly try to see them downplay it.

QB is the only position that can turn your team around night to day.
Not me. Don't like Dak myself. However, there was no one available as an upgrade.

kevm3

Reaction score
lol so we need to waste resources when we've had top 5 offenses in back to back years, especially in a year where we traded away our best wr for peanuts?

What are you guys expecting some rookie qb is going to do? Turn into a mix of peyton manning and tom brady and throw 80 times a game?

We are in win now mode and investing a high pick into a qb that would essentially be a backup would be a waste of resources and cause locker room division. If Dak stinks it up this year, then that's when you consider getting his replacement.

kevm3

Reaction score
The same guys here saying not to take a quarterback in the first 3 rounds are EXACTLY a the same guys saying “ it’s not easy to find the next franchise quarterback” , whenever we discuss moving on from Dakota

of course it’s not easy , IF YOU DONT DRAFT ONE HIGHER THAN 4th!!!!!!!!!
Considering we barely do much in free agency and expect everything to be done in the draft, how do you build a winning football team if you are using a 1st or 2nd rounder on a quarterback? Who is going to build the winning football team around this new qb? How many times are you expecting him to throw it a game? 55? A rookie QB is going to take us to the promised land when we have teams like the Eagles with a stacked D line and we have a massive hole in our O line? We've had 2 decades of mediocrity before Dak, so it's clear the problem exists elsewhere other than the QB position. Romo put up crazy stats here and even with arguably the best TE of all time, and a host of other talent, still couldn't get out of the 2nd round.

Until the FO changes, all of the coaching and qb changes is window dressing. We saw why we are perpetually mediocre with yesterday's draft. We constantly flush the 2nd day of drafting down the toilet and we refuse to do anything in free agency. That is NOT how you build a winning football team.

Kolemmitt

Reaction score
Do you guys study these guys after they are drafted? 50% that ONE of them will be at the same level as Dak (top 5 to 15). About a 10 % chance or less ONE of them will be elite. Picking at #26 the chances were 1% or less. If one of these QBS is going to be better than Dak- which history says is unlikely anyway, they went in the first four picks.

We have a good QB, last year we only had one legit WR, why waste a pick on a QB that will very likely bust when we can just give our good QB another weapon?

Kolemmitt

Reaction score
lol so we need to waste resources when we've had top 5 offenses in back to back years, especially in a year where we traded away our best wr for peanuts?

What are you guys expecting some rookie qb is going to do? Turn into a mix of peyton manning and tom brady and throw 80 times a game?

We are in win now mode and investing a high pick into a qb that would essentially be a backup would be a waste of resources and cause locker room division. If Dak stinks it up this year, then that's when you consider getting his replacement.
Exactly!!!

csirl

Reaction score

We"re not winning anything with Dak. A good rookie wont be any worse and likely will be better quite quickly - the bar for being better than Dak isnt that high.

kskboys

Reaction score
We"re not winning anything with Dak. A good rookie wont be any worse and likely will be better quite quickly - the bar for being better than Dak isnt that high.
That's just not true. Rook QBs almost all flop. Especially this year, though I do like Tune.

csirl

Reaction score
That's just not true. Rook QBs almost all flop. Especially this year, though I do like Tune.
Simply no true. Look at recent years - % of 1st round QBs who are expected to be their team's 2023 starter:

2022 - 1/1 100%
2021 - 4/5 80%
2020 - 4/4 100%
2019 - 2/3 67%

Last 4 years 11/13 - 85%.

QB drafting has got very good in recent years.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Do you guys study these guys after they are drafted? 50% that ONE of them will be at the same level as Dak (top 5 to 15). About a 10 % chance or less ONE of them will be elite. Picking at #26 the chances were 1% or less. If one of these QBS is going to be better than Dak- which history says is unlikely anyway, they went in the first four picks.

We have a good QB, last year we only had one legit WR, why waste a pick on a QB that will very likely bust when we can just give our good QB another weapon?

This is true, and I think Cooks will help, and I think Gallup will help more this year as his injury should be recovered now. I like the WCO shift that we've made. That should help Dak as it means quicker throws. I'm just hoping that it'll work. We might well take another WR today, but, I could also see us bringing in a haul of UDFAs at WR. As stated last night on another thread, I would like Cottoy from the BC Lions. He's a 6'5" WR that has been dynamite in the CFL. He's quick, and, bear in mind, they use a larger field in the CFL. I think he's a player that should get a training camp invite.

75boyz

Reaction score
Exactly.
Coaching and team support does not cancel out poor decision making.
Picks, when to run, pre-snap/post snap reads, footwork, accuracy, half field vision, slow processing speed. They're all still there just like pre-draft 2016.
But most of all is the decision making with the ball in his hand.
McCarthy or team support can't change Dak's eyes or brain in real time.

It's the fatal flaw of this team.

Some can accept it and know that this team is going no where in the post season as long as Dak continues.

Others accept it BUT "hope" for an 85 Bears type defense to carry him.

While still others wear Dak pajamas and need someone sitting beside them on Sundays to explain to them what they are watching.

Last edited:

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
If a better prospect is there, sure.

It's very stupid to use major resources to collect players that don't make your team better, absolutely.
You don't think addressing the biggest weakness on the offense and the most important position in pro sports would make the team better?