Another year not addressing QB1 deficiency

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We'll grab a number one quarterback next year since we'll be picking a week bit higher :facepalm:

Hadenough

Reaction score
Jerry just doesn't get it! You don't start searching for Daks successor after Dak is let go. You start NOW! I'm happy with the Cowboys draft but at some point they need to sacrifice a first or second round pick or maybe even package 3 1st round picks to go get themselves pedigree at the QB position. Daks lack of pedigree is why he crumbles in the big stage.

The Fonz

Correctamundo
Reaction score

Is Connor Degenhardt still unsigned? I would love to take chance on him

Flamma

Reaction score
Jerry just doesn't get it! You don't start searching for Daks successor after Dak is let go. You start NOW! I'm happy with the Cowboys draft but at some point they need to sacrifice a first or second round pick or maybe even package 3 1st round picks to go get themselves pedigree at the QB position. Daks lack of pedigree is why he crumbles in the big stage.
Yeah, but they have to be looking for Dak's successor. I don't think they are. Packaging 3 first round picks to move up for a QB is basically telling your starter he's done here. Like the 49ers did when drafting Trey Lance. I don't think Jerry has any intention of moving on from Dak anytime soon.

BoyzBlaster

Reaction score
Simply no true. Look at recent years - % of 1st round QBs who are expected to be their team's 2023 starter:

2022 - 1/1 100%
2021 - 4/5 80%
2020 - 4/4 100%
2019 - 2/3 67%

Last 4 years 11/13 - 85%.

QB drafting has got very good in recent years.
Great post. On a similar note, I found someone who looked at all the QB's drafted from 2005 to 2014 and here is what he found. This is why when people talk about drafting a QB outside of the first couple of rounds as "Dak's replacement" I just roll my eyes and say this fan base deserves all the mediocrity we've seen.
  • The first round gives you a 63% chance of finding a starter.
  • The second round gives you a 27% chance, the third a 17% chance, then it really plummets from there with 8% in the fourth and 6% in the 7th.
  • In the last 10 years, 38 QBs have been drafted in the 5th and 6th rounds and not one has become a starter.

Hadenough

Reaction score
Yeah, but they have to be looking for Dak's successor. I don't think they are. Packaging 3 first round picks to move up for a QB is basically telling your starter he's done here. Like the 49ers did when drafting Trey Lance. I don't think Jerry has any intention of moving on from Dak anytime soon.
I agree! To me I thought last year they would of seen enough. The Cowboys are in a similar situation as the Rams were with Goff. They had the team but needed just a little more from the QB. They just don't care about winning a championship.

Jumbo075

Reaction score
Such an awesome thread. You can identify all the Forum Members that pollute other threads with anti-Dak rhetoric and put them on your "blocked" list.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
Do you guys study these guys after they are drafted? 50% that ONE of them will be at the same level as Dak (top 5 to 15). About a 10 % chance or less ONE of them will be elite. Picking at #26 the chances were 1% or less. If one of these QBS is going to be better than Dak- which history says is unlikely anyway, they went in the first four picks.

We have a good QB, last year we only had one legit WR, why waste a pick on a QB that will very likely bust when we can just give our good QB another weapon?
Because Dak has been injured and missed games the last 3 seasons.
Competition at every position every year makes teams stronger.
Dak has been bi-polar in the playoffs which is bad in a one and done playoff scheme, like the NFL has.

You really should stop trying to protect Dak and care about the team as a whole more.

Flamma

Reaction score
I agree! To me I thought last year they would of seen enough. The Cowboys are in a similar situation as the Rams were with Goff. They had the team but needed just a little more from the QB. They just don't care about winning a championship.
Those are some good observations. The Rams are one of the teams that put winning a championship as top priority. I believe the Cowboys ownership wants to win one, they just don't prioritize it. Similar to the Ravens, Giants, Cards, a bunch of teams.

The Cowboys used to prioritize it, but Jerry was so bad at it after our mid 90s run that somewhere around 2010 or so, he just stopped trying. Now he's happy to just have a good team. Playing it safe. No more back to back to back 5-11 teams.

You think the Ravens are thinking SB? Yeah, if they're mentally challenged. Not going to happen. But not having a QB at all can put you in the basement for years. That's their mindset. And some fans in here agree with it.

starfan1

Reaction score
We'll grab a number one quarterback next year since we'll be picking a week bit higher :facepalm:
We’ll still be drafting in the late teens early 20s maybe even late 20s this is a good team and top level defense

I’m not tied to Dak necessarily but I also know we can get worse.

Outside of last year and I’ll even question that some as the receivers were garbage and pollard got hurt we have never been just a qb away

A draft pick isn’t going to outperform Dak but this team may very well have all the pieces now if everyone stays healthy

If you wanted to throw a draft pick at a proven vet perhaps you could but I don’t know who that would be

Could Zach Wilson improve in a different environment? I think he sucks but you never know

Jerry did the same thing with Romo he never brought in competition

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Doesn’t make football sense to do it. Dak is under contract for two years. His cap hit is so big in a few years they will probably extend him to stretch out some but let’s pretend like cap hits don’t exist. With Daks contract on the book for two years you waste two years of Levi’s and Hookers cheap contract years. Then they only have two years left.

The smartest route in replacing a QB is getting them in the first round and with a 5 year option.

But most importantly….they both aren’t very good quarterbacks and wouldn’t even beat out Rush for QB2 let alone QB1
phil drafted a qb in I think 4th round, if he is good they can start the learning process with him and he will be ready to play in 24.
They may see him as just a bkup, but that is why cowboys drafted dak, to be a bkup.

starfan1

Reaction score
Some can, look at purdy. look at 2016 dak, it happens. but only if the rest of the team is good.
Ya if Purdy stays healthy they beat Philly but San Fran is stacked on both lines very few flaws and if you put Dak on the niners they very well may win the sb

That 16 team was much like the 14 defensive issues against good teams

This may very well be Daks last year if he craps the bed again and it’s clear it was him

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
phil drafted a qb in I think 4th round, if he is good they can start the learning process with him and he will be ready to play in 24.
They may see him as just a bkup, but that is why cowboys drafted dak, to be a bkup.
Romo had back problems and was 36 I believe. They knew the end was near. They tried to mortgage our future for Paxton Lynch.

And Philly had a bunch of picks so I get why they would do it . I didn’t mind doing it but I just would’ve done it later.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Ya if Purdy stays healthy they beat Philly but San Fran is stacked on both lines very few flaws and if you put Dak on the niners they very well may win the sb

That 16 team was much like the 14 defensive issues against good teams

This may very well be Daks last year if he craps the bed again and it’s clear it was him
Contractually Dak is here for two years and they will extend him to pay for Lamb, Micah and Diggs. Unless they trade them or let them walk.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We’ll still be drafting in the late teens early 20s maybe even late 20s this is a good team and top level defense

I’m not tied to Dak necessarily but I also know we can get worse.

Outside of last year and I’ll even question that some as the receivers were garbage and pollard got hurt we have never been just a qb away

A draft pick isn’t going to outperform Dak but this team may very well have all the pieces now if everyone stays healthy

If you wanted to throw a draft pick at a proven vet perhaps you could but I don’t know who that would be

Could Zach Wilson improve in a different environment? I think he sucks but you never know

Jerry did the same thing with Romo he never brought in competition
This year's record will be directly tied to how long we hang onto MM

The Fonz

Correctamundo
Reaction score
The Eagles have a young great QB yet they drafter Tanner McKee that is thinking foreword
we stuck with our inconsistent QB and we are afraid to drafter one

starfan1

Reaction score
Contractually Dak is here for two years and they will extend him to pay for Lamb, Micah and Diggs. Unless they trade them or let them walk.
Ya youre most likely right but if it’s clearly a Dak issue in playoffs even Jerry may see the light

And I don’t necessarily think it’s clearly a Dak issue but last year started to inch that direction

csirl

Reaction score
Personally, I would have taken one of the top 4 QBs and then taken another in the 5th - when there waa good value available.

Could you imagine the postive energy that 1st and 5th rounder QBs turning up would have given our very stale QB room?