Another year not addressing QB1 deficiency

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Ya youre most likely right but if it’s clearly a Dak issue in playoffs even Jerry may see the light

And I don’t necessarily think it’s clearly a Dak issue but last year started to inch that direction
It could be a Dak issue. They are sticking with him probably because they have to. Or risk losing one of their best players. Maybe they want to trade Lamb or Diggs.

Jipper

Reaction score
Starting to think they actually believe they can win it with Dak even after the 2 playoff exits against the niners. LMAO, this team is pathetic ownership/HC/QB all trash.
Sounds like you might be better served following a team to whom you don't share the same feelings yes?

Carson

Reaction score
The qb room don’t feel the way fans do
Exactly.

Dallas has been a two QB active team for a long time. Dak and Rush and Grier likely gets another year.

Sounds like you might be better served following a team to whom you don't share the same feelings yes?
I seriously cannot imagine following anything in life that makes me this miserable day in and day out. On top of that, logging into an internet message board to discuss said team that makes me miserable. Just spend the 3 hours on Sunday’s complaining and keep it at that.

Smith22

Reaction score
Jimmy Johnson/Jerry Jones Era

Troy Aikman/Drafted 1989 first round as rookie franchise quarterback (Johnson influence)
Steve Walsh/Added in supplemental draft 1989 as QB1 insurance (Johnson influence)
Bill Musgrave/Drafted 1991 fourth round as quarterback depth (Johnson influence)

~Aikman retires/team lacks franchise quarterback~

Jerry Jones Era

Quincy Carter/Drafted 2001 2nd round as rookie franchise quarterback (veteran Tony Banks booted to prove the point)

~Tony Romo takes over as franchise quarterback~

Isaiah Stanback/Drafted 2007 fourth round as a wide receiver
Stephen McGee/Drafted 2009 fourth round as quarterback depth
Dak Prescott/Drafted 2016 fourth round as quarterback depth

~Romo injured/Jones & Jason Garrett do not reinstate him as starter/Prescott takes over as franchise quarterback~

Mike White/Drafted 2018 fifth round as quarterback depth
Ben DiNucci/Drafted 2020 seventh round as quarterback depth

Above is Dallas Cowboys history at the position during Jones' reign as general manager. And for some totally illogical reason, some observers believe/think/hope influences like Will McClay, Mike McCarthy, etc., will motivate Jones into investing a DAY 1 or DAY 2 draft pick at the position with an established franchise quarterback on the roster.

Forget history. Disregard history. Be purposefully befuddled.

WsT5d8O.gif

Day 3 was always the logical beginning of expectation for the team adding a quarterback via the draft. Which player does anyone hope will get picked up later today?
Spot on.

Smith22

Reaction score
Was Levis the #1 BPA on our first pick? If so, why didn't we take him? If we're not trade up for a quarterback prospect, and we're not going to take a chance on the ones that slide to us, then we're basically playing hope chess in the bargain bin.
In a draft where the Cowboys were rumored to have as few as 11 players rated as 1st round material, every team in the league decided not to take him. Tells you a lot.

silvernblu

Reaction score
The bottom line is this:
The decision to stay the same when already knowing the ceiling of this QB will continue to be the downfall of this team.

Accepting status quo is not a plan either.

Not taking the risk to improve the QB position through all means, ie draft/trade/FA is just another excuse to be happy with the mediocrity ceiling that this QB provides.

There's a reason it's called risk-reward.
No risk, no reward.

How's that definition of insanity go?

It's gone on for way past time to take a risk on something new.

jmo
In a draft where the Cowboys were rumored to have as few as 11 players rated as 1st round material, every team in the league decided not to take him. Tells you a lot.
Tom Brady

pansophy

Reaction score
When will the Cowboys QB phobia stop? Will we draft a QB in the mid rounds today?

Had 2 chances to get one of the 4 elite rated prospects this year - could have used our 1st pick or traded up to early in the 2nd.

Ironically, our kryptonite Aaron Rodgers is being replaced by a QB we could have drafted without giving up much in draft capital.

Its not just about Dak. We have the weakest QB room in the NFL. As well as he played, I dont rate Rush as more than a solid 3rd stringer.

We have a talented overall roster good enough to win the SB..........but have no strength or depth a QB. I like the players we drafted, but will any improve the team more than adding an elite QB?

P.s. dont give me the 'first round QBs dont always work out' line. You have to try.
Nobody tries for that when they have big money sunk into their QB. For all the moaning about Dak the offence has been in the top 5 in a lot of key metrics for the last several years. Run defense has definitely been a bigger reason we have been losing games.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Jimmy Johnson/Jerry Jones Era

Troy Aikman/Drafted 1989 first round as rookie franchise quarterback (Johnson influence)
Steve Walsh/Added in supplemental draft 1989 as QB1 insurance (Johnson influence)
Bill Musgrave/Drafted 1991 fourth round as quarterback depth (Johnson influence)

~Aikman retires/team lacks franchise quarterback~

Jerry Jones Era

Quincy Carter/Drafted 2001 2nd round as rookie franchise quarterback (veteran Tony Banks booted to prove the point)

~Tony Romo takes over as franchise quarterback~

Isaiah Stanback/Drafted 2007 fourth round as a wide receiver
Stephen McGee/Drafted 2009 fourth round as quarterback depth
Dak Prescott/Drafted 2016 fourth round as quarterback depth

~Romo injured/Jones & Jason Garrett do not reinstate him as starter/Prescott takes over as franchise quarterback~

Mike White/Drafted 2018 fifth round as quarterback depth
Ben DiNucci/Drafted 2020 seventh round as quarterback depth

Above is Dallas Cowboys history at the position during Jones' reign as general manager. And for some totally illogical reason, some observers believe/think/hope influences like Will McClay, Mike McCarthy, etc., will motivate Jones into investing a DAY 1 or DAY 2 draft pick at the position with an established franchise quarterback on the roster.

Forget history. Disregard history. Be purposefully befuddled.

WsT5d8O.gif

Day 3 was always the logical beginning of expectation for the team adding a quarterback via the draft. Which player does anyone hope will get picked up later today?
Worth noting they tried to trade for Paxton Lynch by trading back into the 1st which would’ve cost them I believe a first to do so. He’s currently out of the league. I wonder how long did they think Romo would play if they were that aggressive at QB.

JJ1986

Reaction score
We have never been stronger at QB. Now that Dak has a new OC, we will see much better decision making. Dak is the franchise QB for years to come

csirl

Reaction score
We have never been stronger at QB. Now that Dak has a new OC, we will see much better decision making. Dak is the franchise QB for years to come
You honestly believe Dak/Rush is better than:

Aikman/Beuerlein
Aikman/Kosar
Staubach/White
etc etc.

:lmao:

NumOneQB

Reaction score
Dak is locked in here for a couple more years. Best way to spend draft picks are to draft talent to compliment key positions or fill a need. QB is not a position of need for obvious reasons.

The Fonz

Correctamundo
Reaction score
Dak is locked in here for a couple more years. Best way to spend draft picks are to draft talent to compliment key positions or fill a need. QB is not a position of need for obvious reasons.
How come the Eagles drafted in the 6th round a good QB ( Tanner Mckee) while they have new young QB for years to come?
They are proactive and we are reactive

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Worth noting they tried to trade for Paxton Lynch by trading back into the 1st which would’ve cost them I believe a first to do so. He’s currently out of the league. I wonder how long did they think Romo would play if they were that aggressive at QB.
Jerry Jones on the Paxton Lynch what if (source link):
When I look back on my life, I overpaid for my big successes every time. And when I tried to get a bargain, get it a little cheaper or get a better deal on it, I ended up usually either getting it and not happy I got it. Or missing it. And I probably should have overpaid here. [Jones said Friday he was still stewing about not snagging Lynch] I was still mad about it. Actually thought we had it done.
Lynch is not Jones' only what if. Jones on the Johnny Manziel what if (source link):
I said Stephen there's only one thing I have never bought the Cowboys had I made the kind of decision that I just made right now. You need to drive across the water rather than layup and we laid up for this one. (Did you regret it instantly?) Not regret I just knew and and know today there was another road to take.
What Jones might have done is a subdiscussion I will not get into it. I will stay on topic as to how Jones has addressed the position via 35 straight drafts and actual player acquisitions. These Will Levis, etc., type speculations, focusing on Jones did not do or thought about doing or made calls to other teams trying to do, etc., will have their field days this year, next year, yada yada yada.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
How come the Eagles drafted in the 6th round a good QB ( Tanner Mckee) while they have new young QB for years to come?
They are proactive and we are reactive
A 6th round QB is proof you're proactive? That's equivalent to a undrafted free agent almost lol. Two rounds away. Cowboys literally drafted Mike White years ago in the 4th round lol. Took Dinucci as well. And Rush was better than all of them.