Anyone else having trouble finding any enthusiasm about the Cowboys right now?

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Nope, I'm totally with a good majority of the posters here. I'm pretty much already mentally checked-out of this season. I'm usually STOKED about the draft and this year I'm like "oh, I guess it's in a few days isn't it?" The Green Bay game took most of the air out of my sails. The absolute lack of an off-season took what air I had left. I just see absolutely nothing to be excited for this season.

I'm usually a pretty positive kind of guy about this team. A "there's always a chance" kind of guy. Have been for the last 28 years..........but..........the Jones' boys finally killed that. If we extend Dak, I may be 100% dead inside about this team.
Sad how so many folks give up so easily.

Established1971

fiveandcounting
Reaction score
Anyone else having trouble finding any enthusiasm about the Cowboys right now? After the Packer collapse, confirmed lamb duck coach status and lack of meaningful FA activity there’s not cause for hope, much less optimism. The window is shut with CD and Micah due big extensions. The front office isn’t going to mortgage the future to build around its stars. Meanwhile the Commanders might be formidable pretty soon and the Giants probably tic up as well.

I don’t believe Dak is good enough to win with in the playoffs at his price tag given the organization’s philosophy. A full rebuild or retool would be more interesting. If Dak gets extended at 55 million+ it just extends the purgatory.

Even the draft, which I always look forward to, is just kinda meh. So many holes on this roster and let’s face it McClay and the boys whiffed big last April.
I question anyone who has enthusiasm

morasp

Reaction score
2022 had four starters
Damone Clark
Tyler Smith The best or one of the best LGs in the league
Daron Bland
Jake Ferguson

TBD
Sam Williams
Jaylen Tolbert

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Oh no i'm not saying that, hence my words "improvement", I think they're hoping we can come out with some starters hopefully they're ready to go and have no injuries/setbacks because they'll surely be needed. Our core has to be the main body of this ship!
Fish was saying dallas needs starters for the 1st 3 picks, I tend to agree.
the only thing is jones boys like guyton and brooks, 2 injured players , who would be first rounders if not for their injuries..
Which means if they pick them they wont start and they wont be good until 25 if ever. Similar to jaylon smith.

I would only draft healthy guys who can play at start of season. So will be curious if they draft those 2.
1 is a lineman, and brooks was a RB.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I looked up when we were able to draft "some" starters. I dont even care about key positions.

2023 0 (our first round pick Mazi wasnt even able to beat out medicore competition)
Draft picks we spent on starters. Cooks and Gilly. Those should count.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
I think the Draft for me could be a cause to see some improvement with this franchise, if we pick up some starters at key positions, it can raise fan happiness just a BIT. But yeah, there's not much to be happy about these days, who knows!
Interesting.
I just can't recall a rookie starter other than Micah the Mouth.

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
Actually not at all! I’m eager to see how this all plays out. So I’m pretty enthusiastic actually.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
I am lacking enthusiasm because the Cowboys lack a plan for the future. They could have followed these two paths and did neither.

Plan 1: Move on from Dak: If this is their intention, they should have done it by now. Whether he's on the team or not, they are paying him dead money in 2025 anyway. Love him or hate him, this team is winning ten or more games with Dak at QB. That means drafting in the 20's again next year. That means no shot at a top QB prospect. And no way to see what they have in Trey Lance beforehand.

Plan 2: Keep Dak: If this is their intention, they should have gotten his deal done months ago. This would have freed plenty of cap space that would actually have helped them build a team to succeed short term. Instead, by waiting they are going to let the market set his value. Which means more and more of the same cycle we've been seeing for years.

The only way I can justify what the Cowboys are doing (or not doing) this offseason is the uncertainty at head coach. If Mike McCarthy is gone in 2025 maybe the new staff won't want to be tied to Dak, Lamb, and Micah for multiple years. But to me, this team simply has NO IDEA what they are going to do.

morasp

Reaction score
1 Bryce Young QB 527/2877 10 Int 33.4 QBR 16 GS
2 C. J. Stroud QB 499/4108 5 Int 57.5 QBR 15 GS
3 Will Anderson Jr. LB 7 SK 45 tackles 10 TFL 22 QB hits 13 GS
4 Anthony Richardson QB 84/577 1 Int 45 QBR 4 GS
5 Devon Witherspoon CB 16 PD 1 Int 3 SK 1 FF 8 TFL 4 QB hits 13 GS
6 Paris Johnson Jr. OT 17 GS
7 Tyree Wilson DE 3.5 SK 29 tackles 2 TFL 8 QB hits 0 GS
8 Bijan Robinson RB Rushing 214/976 4.6 Y/A REC 58/487 8.4 Y/R 16 GS
9 Jalen Carter DT 33 tackles 8 TFL 6 SK 9 QB hits 2 FF 1 GS
10 Darnell Wright OT 17 GS
11 Peter Skoronski OT 14 GS
12 Jahmyr Gibbs RB Rushing 182/945 5.2 Y/A REC 52/316 6.1 Y/R 3 GS
13 Lukas Van Ness LB 4 SK 32 Tackles 8 TFL 10 QB hits 0 GS
14 Broderick Jones OT 11 GS
15 Will McDonald DL 3 SK 14 Tackles 4 TFL 5 QB hits 0 GS
16 Emmanuel Forbes CB 1 Int 11 PD 38 Tackles 2 TFL 6 GS
17 Christian Gonzales CB 1 Int 3 PD 1 SK 17 Tackles 1 TFL 1 QB hit 4 GS
18 Jack Campbell LB 95 Tackles 5 TFL 2 SK 3 QB hits 1 PD 12 GS
19 Calijah Kancey DT 4 SK 26 Tackles 10 TFL12 QB Hits 1 PD 14 GS
20 Jaxon Smith-Ngigba WR 63/628 10 Y/R 3 GS
21 Quentin Johnston WR 38/431 11.3 Y/R 10 GS
22 Zay Flowers WR 77/858 11.1 Y/R 16 GS
23 Jordan Addison WR 70/911 13 Y/R 14 GS
24 Deonte Banks CB 2 Int 11 PD 64 Tackles 2 TFL 15 GS
25 Dalton Kincaid TE 73/673 9.2 Y/R 11 GS
26 Mazi Smith DT 1 SK 13 Tackles 3 TFL 3 QB hits 3 GS
27 Anton Harrison OT 17 GS
28 Myles Murphy DE 3 SK 20 Tackles 3 TFL 3 QB hits 0 GS
29 Bryan Bresee DT 4.5 SK 24 Tackles 7 TFL 9 QB hits 0 GS
30 Nolan Smith LB 1 SK 18 Tackles 1 TFL 3 QB hits 0 GS
31 Felix Anudike-Uzomah DE 0.5 SK 14 Tackles 2 TFL 6 QB hits 0 GS

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
I am lacking enthusiasm because the Cowboys lack a plan for the future. They could have followed these two paths and did neither.

Plan 1: Move on from Dak: If this is their intention, they should have done it by now. Whether he's on the team or not, they are paying him dead money in 2025 anyway. Love him or hate him, this team is winning ten or more games with Dak at QB. That means drafting in the 20's again next year. That means no shot at a top QB prospect. And no way to see what they have in Trey Lance beforehand.

Plan 2: Keep Dak: If this is their intention, they should have gotten his deal done months ago. This would have freed plenty of cap space that would actually have helped them build a team to succeed short term. Instead, by waiting they are going to let the market set his value. Which means more and more of the same cycle we've been seeing for years.

The only way I can justify what the Cowboys are doing (or not doing) this offseason is the uncertainty at head coach. If Mike McCarthy is gone in 2025 maybe the new staff won't want to be tied to Dak, Lamb, and Micah for multiple years. But to me, this team simply has NO IDEA what they are going to do.
I agree just do something, but if their plan all along was to keep him this is dumb, extend him and free up money, or do we just want to be bad