Are Cowboys a destination HC’s would want?

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
I picked up on that one word that most coaches are allergic to, uncertainty.

If I were a HC, the one that would concern me the most is the relationship and coziness of the owner to the players. I think we saw just how much a HC cannot do when Garrett first took over as HC and put the dress code into effect. Right out of the chute, one of the stars and leaders ignores him and what happened?

That one question always seems to surface, who is in charge?

If you were a proven winner, why would you consider the Cowboys? Was there a better proven winner with 3 different teams than Parcells? Think other proven winners didn't notice the owner exercised his right to bring in the very last person his HC would want in his locker room? And when that HC begins to try and deal with this player in his own way, what does the owner do? Starts taking the player to breakfast.

The other thing that we are completely unaware of is strength of the coaches network, these guys talk and share information and you can bet they were yakking it up after Garrett had to eat his own words about Linehan. Neither a good owner or GM hangs his HC out like that. There were other, much better, solutions than making him crawfish on the same day. No strong HC wants the public to know his balls are in the hands of the GM or owner.
Good points, Coach. Uncertainty is a deal killer when you have an opportunity at a proven and recent winner in the NFL.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
He already has. This team is run very differently from Jerry's heyday when every one of his decisions were basically crap. An entire offseason of terrible drafts and free agent additions. If they won the Super Bowl next year, it certainly wouldn't be because of him. If Jerry was behind every decision, they'd still be looking for a Manziel replacement right now. Not hiring a quality coach because of credit is just ridiculous and it's even more ridiculous to just credit Jerry if they do win. This is very much a collective effort these days. At least at the moment he's smart enough to let other people make decisions and hopefully he's smart enough to understand that coaching and preparation are equally important. Those days of looking for credit. It's a lost cause, a ridiculous endeavor and they sailed a long time ago. Jerry's managerial body of work has been terrible. All of a sudden at 76 he's now the reason for any turn around? It's laughable at this point.
Jerry is still very much in position to take more credit than he received with Jimmy.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Well, there is that question he asked the local media about him getting credit, if they did win it all. His behavior demonstrates that he wants credit, that's the reason they split up, Johnson's coaches were not willing to give him any that night. Then there's Jimmy having to be coaxed into coming to the war room when Booger asked him to look at him before every pick so as to send the message it's really his pick. Not enough to put it together and buy it and go against the grain and hire a college coach, there's something missing with the man.

The man is just a weird duck and maybe it goes all the way back to being college roommates and Johnson going on to do what Booger really wanted to do but he wanted to make money more than coach. I definitely think it is all about credit and while other owners would be happy with the ring and all that brings, unless Booger gets credit for it, it is a tarnished ring.
I think it's overblown. Jones IS getting credit for winning SBs in the 90's, the same as he gets blamed for the seasons we bombed. The idea of him wanting credit is a perception IMO.

CWR

Reaction score
I suppose but the bigger issue is why would you choose this dysfunctional organization and what that entails over a more normal situation unless of course the phone wasn’t ringing?

I know the narrative and maybe Im a bit naive but I think many organizations likely have a strong GM influence.

I also believe Jerry has restrained himself a bit in his later years.

Those that make it to the inner circle are actually well cared for. See Jason Garrett. Additionally they have great facilities, a strong team (currently) and a chance at prestige they wouldn't likely achieve at many other organizations.

Im sorry brother, I just dont see it as bad as some do. As far as coaching talent goes there is and always will be more supply than demand.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Jerry is still very much in position to take more credit than he received with Jimmy.

I don't think Jerry was waiting on Jimmy approval. Jimmy did not hire himself. jerry took the risk and was laughed at by many around the NFL for hiring Johnson to begin with. However both men have big egos and Jimmy insults at the owner meeting had a lot to do with them splitting.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
We are the most popular and wealthiest franchise on the planet with a storybook history. In the first 30 years we went to more Super Bowls and won more playoff games than any team in league history.

What’s transpired since though has left this franchise in a most unusual situation and potential insurmountable obstacle. Winning another championship with an owner in the front office and meddling coaching staff determined to gain most of the credit as face of the franchise.

And why even if the owner didn’t dangle puppetry strings not only with his Son but coaching staff intent on gaining credit for building a championship team he didn’t earlier would the Cowboys be an attractive destination unless you couldn’t land a job elsewhere?

The Cowboys have basically been a dead end job for any HC since Jimmy left. Only Chan Gailey ever coached again in NFL after needing to revive his career in college ranks.

Do all fans realize the severity of our situation and limitations on potential prospects as long as there’s only room for one ego in Big D?
if they are crazy and desparate...yes...no real good coach would want to come to dallas, unless they have an exit plan. even the HOF coach parcells lasted 4 years and ran out the door. the great sean payton just said, are you nuts....

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I think it's overblown. Jones IS getting credit for winning SBs in the 90's, the same as he gets blamed for the seasons we bombed. The idea of him wanting credit is a perception IMO.
Its a perception believed by many . Obviously not all but that’s why I feel the need to continue with these reminders. Lol

But really a waste of time for those who can’t be swayed.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I don't think Jerry was waiting on Jimmy approval. Jimmy did not hire himself. jerry took the risk and was laughed at by many around the NFL for hiring Johnson to begin with. However both men have big egos and Jimmy insults at the owner meeting had a lot to do with them splitting.
That’s not my point.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
if they are crazy and desparate...yes...no real good coach would want to come to dallas, unless they have an exit plan. even the HOF coach parcells lasted 4 years and ran out the door. the great sean payton just said, are you nuts....

Parcells seem to disagree with that. BP left for the same reason he left other teams it had more to do with burnout.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I know the narrative and maybe Im a bit naive but I think many organizations likely have a strong GM influence.

I also believe Jerry has restrained himself a bit in his later years.

Those that make it to the inner circle are actually well cared for. See Jason Garrett. Additionally they have great facilities, a strong team (currently) and a chance at prestige they wouldn't likely achieve at many other organizations.

Im sorry brother, I just dont see it as bad as some do. As far as coaching talent goes there is and always will be more supply than demand.
Everyone is certainly entitled to their own beliefs and opinions. Thanks for adding to the discussion.

Reactions: CWR

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
One question we do not have an answer to is just how much "meddling" does the owner and his son do within the actual coaching of the team? Second question, is that "meddling" because of the desire to do so or the perceived need to do so?

Booger was considering Garrett for HC when he first hired him, think about that. He was willing to take a guy with no appreciable experience or success as a HC and make him one. Why is that? Add to this his response when asked about his petulant WR's criticism of his OC, "no problem with it".

The difference with this team and the ones that hire a HC to be just that is they not only allow the HC to hire his coaches and decide what type of offense and defense they will run, they expect that. They are hiring the HC to do what he does. Booger hires one to do what Booger wants him to do.

There are coaches that would never consider working for him, guys like Belichick, Saban, Reid but there are plenty of coaches that would consider the stopover for the money and the team is not without talent. Hell, they take on jobs they know are nothing but a steep uphill climb every season with the hope they are the long term answer but with the knowledge that this is not a career wrecker if it doesn't work. And that's without the perception of a "meddlesome" owner. Let's not forget Gailey failed here and was hired again as a HC and Campo as a DC and Parcells would have been hired again as a HC if he wanted that.
Yea, a true HC that really wants to have a successful career is going to want to go where the meddling owner picks and chooses his coaching staff and basically says now go win with the staff I selected for you..........if you're going to hold your HC accountable then he should be allowed to assemble his own staff....not be graded by the staff an incompetent owner playing GM assembled for him.

cern

Reaction score
as Stephen continues to have more and more control over running the team, and jerry less, I think the team becomes far more attractive to a prospective head coach.

Reactions: G2

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He already has. This team is run very differently from Jerry's heyday when every one of his decisions were basically crap. An entire offseason of terrible drafts and free agent additions. If they won the Super Bowl next year, it certainly wouldn't be because of him. If Jerry was behind every decision, they'd still be looking for a Manziel replacement right now. Not hiring a quality coach because of credit is just ridiculous and it's even more ridiculous to just credit Jerry if they do win. This is very much a collective effort these days. At least at the moment he's smart enough to let other people make decisions and hopefully he's smart enough to understand that coaching and preparation are equally important. Those days of looking for credit. It's a lost cause, a ridiculous endeavor and they sailed a long time ago. Jerry's managerial body of work has been terrible. All of a sudden at 76 he's now the reason for any turn around? It's laughable at this point.
Age has little to do with it. Insecurity has everything to do with it. Age is a factor because it is becoming a limited commodity.

The man is a textbook of insecurity and must constantly be reassuring himself. Biggie, do you know what the other owners of NFL teams or any sports franchises own? Neither do I but I know this one built the Star, has a chopper, built the Booger Boogie Bus at a cost of a million and bought 250M boat, why do you think we know all of that? It is textbook insecurity to try and say "look at who I am by looking at what I've got". That venue isn't a stadium, it's a living monument.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
as Stephen continues to have more and more control over running the team, and jerry less, I think the team becomes far more attractive to a prospective head coach.
That’s an interesting perspective . We’ll know soon enough how much influence Son has over Jethro when that decision is made.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Could be but that is my perception as it was with Johnson's staff. And G, he does not get credit for those rings like he wants credit. Those are the teams that Jimmy built and even Switzer doesn't get credit.

Know what it all comes down to, imo? He is too cognizant and cares too much about the media. No other owner loves the media and the spotlight and most will avoid it like the plague because they don't like being asked questions. Even GM's avoid it. Not him, he hungers for it which is why he'll have to be incapacitated or toes up to leave it. He cares what they think and he wants them to think of him as a "football man". Don't know why that is so important but, imo, that is a driving force for him.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
I agree. There's a night and day difference from the Jerry of old.

blueblood70

Reaction score
But I have met him which doesn’t make any difference.

Believe what you will. But it doesn’t appear Jerry’s ready to give up his intent to prove he can build a championship team without a proven HC.
oh so you know his innermost thoughts on what hes planning to do next or why hes stuck with JG? JG has winning record , won the division 3-5 yrs ,and Jerry felt that we were on the prescribes of taking it to the next step, it didnt happen,

he saw injuries, suspensions, and other things that were a valid excuse.. he made it known now that JG is on the super hot set with not another contract, He fired SL, didnt reup Garett, brought in Richard, changed OL coach, traded for cooper..,etc etc sometimes you have to try other things to finally accept that JG is finally the last excuse..weve turned this roster over nearly 80% since 2016 , very young and JG was given every opportunity to integrate those new players.. it hasn't failed in Jerrys mind up to now and finally hes on his last lifeline..

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You and I are on opposite ends of that spectrum and I prefer Booger to his son because at least Booger made it himself. His son is just the lucky sperm and is becoming more like him in his spotlight seeking.

Might be my experience with second generation people taking over the business built by their fathers, very few are close to equal. And you see it in the NFL with CIN, NYG, AZ and OAK, the only ones that are successful do not rely on the previous owner's son to run the football part of it. Mara didn't win those rings, he was smart and hired someone to do that.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Could be but that is my perception as it was with Johnson's staff. And G, he does not get credit for those rings like he wants credit. Those are the teams that Jimmy built and even Switzer doesn't get credit.

Know what it all comes down to, imo? He is too cognizant and cares too much about the media. No other owner loves the media and the spotlight and most will avoid it like the plague because they don't like being asked questions. Even GM's avoid it. Not him, he hungers for it which is why he'll have to be incapacitated or toes up to leave it. He cares what they think and he wants them to think of him as a "football man". Don't know why that is so important but, imo, that is a driving force for him.
Right!

And the media is much to blame as well. I actually thought Jerry deserved more credit with Jimmy but he didn’t get it from the media and most fans for parting ways with Jimmy and has been the driving force with him to prove he’s a Football Guy.

He thought he’d get with Switzer but then the media and fans said it was still a Jimmy built team. Hence where we are now a couple decades later.