Are Cowboys a destination HC’s would want?

cern

Reaction score
Age has little to do with it. Insecurity has everything to do with it. Age is a factor because it is becoming a limited commodity.

The man is a textbook of insecurity and must constantly be reassuring himself. Biggie, do you know what the other owners of NFL teams or any sports franchises own? Neither do I but I know this one built the Star, has a chopper, built the Booger Boogie Bus at a cost of a million and bought 250M boat, why do you think we know all of that? It is textbook insecurity to try and say "look at who I am by looking at what I've got". That venue isn't a stadium, it's a living monument.
insecure people have a penchant for blaming others for their mistakes. jerry does not do this. he takes the heat as good as anyone. the boat, btw, cost 350 million. the Star was a brilliant financial investment as well as a showpiece for the cowboys, not to mention the nfl. jerry owns land surrounding the facility and is now building a high rise apartment complex in conjunction with Staubach. also a sports medicine complex. retail shopping. the beat goes on. you either spend money or pay it to the irs when you have that kind of financial portfolio. I prefer to reinvest.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I agree. There's a night and day difference from the Jerry of old.
It's the circle of influence. He realized continuing to give guys like Lacewell his ear was only letting him to hear what he wanted to hear. Booger needs to hear what he needs to hear and even with that, he was upset he missed out on Manziel and didn't offer a 2nd and 3rd to get Lynch.

At some point he realized 'this isn't working'. The irony of it was he was getting blamed for every bad decision and he probably didn't make them all. But that carried over to when anything good happened. If it's good, McClay did it. If it's bad, it was Booger.

I do not think it is fair to give improvement to things changing around him without giving him some credit for learning and changing.

Where I differ from most here is that I do not have a problem with Booger being the GM of my team, he bought it and can do what he wants with it. It is my choice to remain a fan or not and I have chosen to do that.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
insecure people have a penchant for blaming others for their mistakes. jerry does not do this. he takes the heat as good as anyone. the boat, btw, cost 350 million. the Star was a brilliant financial investment as well as a showpiece for the cowboys, not to mention the nfl. jerry owns land surrounding the facility and is now building a high rise apartment complex in conjunction with Staubach. also a sports medicine complex. retail shopping. the beat goes on. you either spend money or pay it to the irs when you have that kind of financial portfolio. I prefer to reinvest.
Well, like I said, our opinions differ on this.

cern

Reaction score
You and I are on opposite ends of that spectrum and I prefer Booger to his son because at least Booger made it himself. His son is just the lucky sperm and is becoming more like him in his spotlight seeking.

Might be my experience with second generation people taking over the business built by their fathers, very few are close to equal. And you see it in the NFL with CIN, NYG, AZ and OAK, the only ones that are successful do not rely on the previous owner's son to run the football part of it. Mara didn't win those rings, he was smart and hired someone to do that.
I think Stephen is a far better person to acquire the personnel and write the contracts. essentially, the job of a gm. jerry is a master marketer and promoter. but to call Stephen no more than a lucky sperm is a bit of a reach in my opinion. he's doing a good job.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
You and I are on opposite ends of that spectrum and I prefer Booger to his son because at least Booger made it himself. His son is just the lucky sperm and is becoming more like him in his spotlight seeking.

Might be my experience with second generation people taking over the business built by their fathers, very few are close to equal. And you see it in the NFL with CIN, NYG, AZ and OAK, the only ones that are successful do not rely on the previous owner's son to run the football part of it. Mara didn't win those rings, he was smart and hired someone to do that.
Yep

But just hiring the right guy and taking credit for it isn’t enough for Jerry.

We’ve seen better decisions under Jerry when he’s had greater influences. Like Parcells said “ you have to convince Jerry to go against his instincts” which Stephen and Jason have had some success with recently and why we’ve assembled as good of team as we have.

cern

Reaction score
Well, like I said, our opinions differ on this.
einstein was right about relativity (special and general). but he was dead wrong about quantum mechanics. no one can be right all the time.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yep

But just hiring the right guy and taking credit for it isn’t enough for Jerry.

We’ve seen better decisions under Jerry when he’s had greater influences. Like Parcells said “ you have to convince Jerry to go against his instincts” which Stephen and Jason have had some success with recently and why we’ve assembled as good of team as we have.
I don't know if I agree that Garrett has had any success with him. I don't think he respects him or he wouldn't have treated him like some lackey with that Linehan situation.

And I think posters are a little overboard on the credit for a good team. They haven't been good with FA's and they're still a lot better the higher the pick. That OL was a no brainer, the only "reach" was Yosemite and they did that because of Romo's negotiation and the inside info from AR's brand new HC. Elliott was a 4th and Cooper a former 1st and about the only choice that had after bottoming out on Watkins. Gallup looks like a find.

Vander Esch was picked about where he was touted to be picked and they took a chance on one top 5 pick because of a bad wheel and a top 15 pick because he loved him some weed a little too much. Then they luck into a 4th round QB after trying to trade up for one and missing out on another. And Lawrence was out of need and they traded up to fulfill that need.

I'd rather be lucky than good but I do not confuse the two. When I see a lot of players that they scouted and determined they were "finds", I will change my opinion but not now they are a lot more lucky than good.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
einstein was right about relativity (special and general). but he was dead wrong about quantum mechanics. no one can be right all the time.
But he would agree with me on the lucky sperm so me and Albert's real tight on this.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Digging what? After all these years of no SB in Dallas and you as a coach or player win specifically QB if you win for the most popular team in all of sports you are darn near set for life in NFL history.
Well, when you dig you make a hole. The more you dig, the deeper that hole gets. Your hole is so deep I cannot hear you any more. BYE.

ItzKelz

Reaction score
Well, when you dig you make a hole. The more you dig, the deeper that hole gets. Your hole is so deep I cannot hear you any more. BYE.
Makes no sense what so ever in regards to my statement but ok.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
It is what it is. I’m not proud of it but as always calling it like I see it. Like with any handicap or hindrance we face in life I think it’s important to face the gravity of the situation. Only then can you begin to come to terms with it.
Just as long as you understand what YOU see does not mean that's what others see. I don't. I see the Cowboys as SB contender this coming season.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Which of course has nothing to do with the point of this thread. Lol
Not so fast there, it would be easier to lure a good HC with as team set up to compete.

If I was a HC candidate, the talent level of this team would get on the positive side of the decision sheet.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Of course it does. You think the Cowboys are irrelevant. Winning a SB would return the Cowboys to relevancy. This makes the Cowboys a destination HC's would want to land, despite Garrett's job being secure after winning a SB.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Add a disclaimer that says: "You can only respond to my point, even though I've repeated it 1,000 times. Conversations may not deviate."

I think the thread police can help you. God help them.

Silly

Reaction score
I think, historically, it has been the other way around. Jerry wants a puppet. Then it becomes is there a coach that Jerry likes. The destination part be damned.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Not so fast there, it would be easier to lure a good HC with as team set up to compete.

If I was a HC candidate, the talent level of this team would get on the positive side of the decision sheet.
You even stated on another post that Jerry thinks he’s too close to finally redeeming himself with this team that he wouldn’t bring in a Legit HC at this point.

Which is part of my narrative that not only is our dysfunctional organization not attractive to a Legit HC is that Jerry’s unwilling to let them come in and take the credit he’s been pursuing.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I think, historically, it has been the other way around. Jerry wants a puppet. Then it becomes is there a coach that Jerry likes. The destination part be damned.
Yep unless he needs something like a new stadium and or resurrecting a team from the 5-11 Funk in 2003 or when he took over in 1989 needing a more immediate turn around to get out of the Red and gain support after firing Landry.