As an owner, this is how I would approach Tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
Listen, we’re going to sign you. Either at what you want or what we want or somewhere in between. You’ve been a leader for this team and have shown that you can make a difference. We want you and we want you bad. BUT, we also have to look at the contracts coming up for Zeke, Cooper, Jaylon, Dak, Jones and some others. We have a fricken outstanding core talent of players. We can’t give you the highest contract ever played for a LE DE and also be able to keep this team together. Do you want to be the highest paid player of all time at your position or do you want to win Championships? Remember, I’m Jerry Jones and I’m in business with Emmitt Smith as well as other former Cowboys players. We’re making money together. Help this team out and I will help you out long term.

Answer: No.

Now, what do you do?

Because that right now is the situation with him.

coult44

Reaction score
Listen, we’re going to sign you. Either at what you want or what we want or somewhere in between. You’ve been a leader for this team and have shown that you can make a difference. We want you and we want you bad. BUT, we also have to look at the contracts coming up for Zeke, Cooper, Jaylon, Dak, Jones and some others. We have a fricken outstanding core talent of players. We can’t give you the highest contract ever played for a LE DE and also be able to keep this team together. Do you want to be the highest paid player of all time at your position or do you want to win Championships? Remember, I’m Jerry Jones and I’m in business with Emmitt Smith as well as other former Cowboys players. We’re making money together. Help this team out and I will help you out long term.

I kinda agree with you. I mean I get it sorta. Here's the "but" line.

Jerry or anyone else with the Cowboys FO can't, absolutely cant go to any player and say anything about saying their way will win championships. We all know, and so do the players, that their way does not win championships.

cern

Reaction score
Is this a treatise on naivete? There are two major points of negotiating contracts in today's nfl you seem not to understand.
1. It's always about the money.
2. And it's wanted now.
Khalil mack. LeBron bell. Antonio Brown. Ring a bell.

Cowfan75

Reaction score
But “just talking” leads to idiot posters here who take it as gospel and then it pollutes the board.

You were on another thread saying you only call other fans idiots if they are too negative. Here there are just participating in a discussion in a thread that you started, and you're still calling fans idiots. We all get it; it's your angry schtick. It just doesn't do anything for us. If anyone around here is polluting the board, it's you.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
I love how people on here act like the Cowboys try and lowball players because they're cheap, putting words into the owner's mouth about how "they need to make less to play for the Star", then jump in the next thread and talk about how we're choosing to overpay Lee and Crawford out of some misguided loyalty.

Look at the last half-dozen mega deals we inked. Tyron, Frederick, Martin, Dez, Romo, and probably Crawford I guess? They were all been signed at market value, except for Crawford, who we actually overpaid for. The cheapskate Cowboys thing is a myth. We have no problem paying top dollar for top-dollar players.

We don't spend a lot of money in free agency, and we don't offer big third contracts to guys, like most smart teams do. But we generally don't lowball and screw our own players. The one guy we did lowball (and probably half of where the "cheap Jerry" meme comes from, the other half being free agency) was Demarco Murray, who broke down 2 years after we let him walk.

Ironically, the real cheapskates are Cowboys fans. We're fans of the team, not fans of the players (unless you're still a Miles Austin or Bradie James fan... in which case I salute your loyalty and/or family ties...). We don't care about how much these athletes earn, we only care about how much salary cap space our team has. So we always want our favorite players to make less so they can keep playing for our team, and you see a lot of that on here.

What it usually manifests as is fans blowing a gasket when they see $20M figures being thrown around for Lawrence, $18M for Cooper, $28M for Dak, etc etc, and so they twist themselves in knots trying to explain about how "they're not elite players", "they don't deserve that money", etc etc. But if all 3 hit the open market, they'd have several contract offers of that size in less than a week. Like it or not, they're worth that much.

And Dallas will most likely pay them that much. And fans will lose their minds when the deals are signed. And they will tune in to watch those players tear it up for the Cowboys this September anyway. Such is life.

Last edited:

The Natural

Reaction score
Do you want to be the highest paid player of all time at your position or do you want to win Championships?
As if this franchise knows anything about winning championships this century. Get yours D-Law.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
Of course the answer is no duh. It's negotiation. My post still stands.

You didnt get what i was trying to say.

What you posted is what they certainly said the first time both parties met. They are way beyond this point right now.

DHCBF66

Reaction score
I would put him on a plane to the city of a team that offered us a 1st rounder for him. Due to his lack of surgery he will not be playing at 100% and a rookie could fit the bill just fine!

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Is this a treatise on naivete? There are two major points of negotiating contracts in today's nfl you seem not to understand.
1. It's always about the money.
2. And it's wanted now.
Khalil mack. LeBron bell. Antonio Brown. Ring a bell.
Tom Brady, Jason Witten, Sean Lee, Tim Duncan ring a bell?

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
You were on another thread saying you only call other fans idiots if they are too negative. Here there are just participating in a discussion in a thread that you started, and you're still calling fans idiots. We all get it; it's your angry schtick. It just doesn't do anything for us. If anyone around here is polluting the board, it's you.
Yes idiot fans.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score

I'm guessing you've never negotiated compensation within the confines of a collective bargaining agreement. I have, and that's not how it works.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Thing is that we don’t know the numbers. Maybe he is being offered a fair contract. Maybe his agent is asking for ground breaking money and while his numbers are probly top 5? Top 3? It’s not top.

Or maybe SJ just continues to lowball him.

I would like to know. But hearing there is a new offer is a good thing. Let’s get a shoulder fixed and play some football..

northerncowboynation

Reaction score

I like it but these negotiations go through agents to keep it impersonal.

Rayman70

Reaction score
booger got off on the wrong foot I imagine. This is SO unlike Tank. I think the agent and Tank are dealing with their own hurt pride. That said, all the adults need to get together in 1 room,lock the door, and hash out a finished product..signed sealed and delivered. Get past all the semantics.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Contracts like this are about the money, and they should be. Like Murray, Lawrence's first post rookie contract deal is his chance to squeeze value out of the NFL for his family. Squeeze it. When you're older and looking for a ring, then you take a 3mil instead of a 5mil contract and sign with NE. You don't write off 10 mil guaranteed now.

Yes it is about money but it is also about status. Come on you can't feed for family for 18 or 19 million a year? get real... As for DLaw I understand very well he is obligated to take care of himself, I don't blame him and the Dallas Cowboys are obligated to put a team of 53 on the field with many key players who are also looking for contract. It is not all about DLaw for Dallas it is about a lot of players. the notion that the player can stand up and say this is what I want and the team has to bend over and give is not a fact. DLaw needs to do what is best for him and the Organization must do what is best for the entire team

cern

Reaction score
Tom Brady, Jason Witten, Sean Lee, Tim Duncan ring a bell?
witten and lee can't be compared as they're both essentially finished. but i'll give you brady and Duncan. touche.

Status
Not open for further replies.