As an owner, this is how I would approach Tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
Telling another man to take less than his worth sot hat another man can get paid his worth is wild.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Telling another man to take less than his worth sot hat another man can get paid his worth is wild.

True, DLaw can ask for what he wants and is well within his right to do so. Hell he can ask for 37 mill a year and be paid the most of any player in the league and I will not begrudge him. Cowboys too have an overall responsibility to 52 others and some that will also be looking for a big pay day. They offered DLaw top money for DE at 20 mill which would make him the highest paid DE in the league. I think Cowboys have done their part in this deal and hopefully they will come to an agreement.

foofighters

Reaction score
Obviously. But when a player retires he doesn’t belong to the NFL so all what you say is moot. Come on man.
But you can't say (or even hint) at anything like that now. The legality issues in today's business is huge. Come on man.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I love how people on here act like the Cowboys try and lowball players because they're cheap, putting words into the owner's mouth about how "they need to make less to play for the Star", then jump in the next thread and talk about how we're choosing to overpay Lee and Crawford out of some misguided loyalty.

Look at the last half-dozen mega deals we inked. Tyron, Frederick, Martin, Dez, Romo, and probably Crawford I guess? They were all been signed at market value, except for Crawford, who we actually overpaid for. The cheapskate Cowboys thing is a myth. We have no problem paying top dollar for top-dollar players.

We don't spend a lot of money in free agency, and we don't offer big third contracts to guys, like most smart teams do. But we generally don't lowball and screw our own players. The one guy we did lowball (and probably half of where the "cheap Jerry" meme comes from, the other half being free agency) was Demarco Murray, who broke down 2 years after we let him walk.

Ironically, the real cheapskates are Cowboys fans. We're fans of the team, not fans of the players (unless you're still a Miles Austin or Bradie James fan... in which case I salute your loyalty and/or family ties...). We don't care about how much these athletes earn, we only care about how much salary cap space our team has. So we always want our favorite players to make less so they can keep playing for our team, and you see a lot of that on here.

What it usually manifests as is fans blowing a gasket when they see $20M figures being thrown around for Lawrence, $18M for Cooper, $28M for Dak, etc etc, and so they twist themselves in knots trying to explain about how "they're not elite players", "they don't deserve that money", etc etc. But if all 3 hit the open market, they'd have several contract offers of that size in less than a week. Like it or not, they're worth that much.

And Dallas will most likely pay them that much. And fans will lose their minds when the deals are signed. And they will tune in to watch those players tear it up for the Cowboys this September anyway. Such is life.

The market determines what a player is worth. I would actually like to know what the market would pay these guys. I don't think anybody on here can say that any given player is worth this much or that much.

Also, not that it matters but, Murray actually rushed for 1287 yards, with a 4.4 YPC, 9 rushing TDs, 53 Rec. for 377 Yds, 7.1 AYPC, and 3 more Rec. TDs. He actually had a very strong year, two seasons later. As I said, it doesn't matter but it's a thing with me. I really like Murray and that's saying something because I hate OU but that guy, I liked him. Even saying all that, I didn't want the team to sign him for the money he got from Philly. He wasn't worth that and yes, the team does come first. Without the team, nobody gets paid and it's not just one player, it's all of them.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
True, DLaw can ask for what he wants and is well within his right to do so. Hell he can ask for 37 mill a year and be paid the most of any player in the league and I will not begrudge him. Cowboys too have an overall responsibility to 52 others and some that will also be looking for a big pay day. They offered DLaw top money for DE at 20 mill which would make him the highest paid DE in the league. I think Cowboys have done their part in this deal and hopefully they will come to an agreement.
How much guaranteed money is in the deal at signing? How much practical guarantees are in the deal? How much is paid out over the first 3 years? I assume you have this information given you've stated authoritatively the Cowboys have "done their part."

Doomsday101

Reaction score
How much guaranteed money is in the deal at signing? How much practical guarantees are in the deal? How much is paid out over the first 3 years? I assume you have this information given you've stated authoritatively the Cowboys have "done their part."

I think chances are those are some areas that will have to be worked on for the deal to happen. Never stated I had some inside scoop nor do you so save the smart ars comment. Dallas upped their offer to 20 mill avg and DLaw upped his to 22 mill. Fact is he will be a very highly paid DE and with the avg of 20 mill per year will be the highest DE and now tell me is he the best DE in the league?

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
The market determines what a player is worth. I would actually like to know what the market would pay these guys. I don't think anybody on here can say that any given player is worth this much or that much.

Also, not that it matters but, Murray actually rushed for 1287 yards, with a 4.4 YPC, 9 rushing TDs, 53 Rec. for 377 Yds, 7.1 AYPC, and 3 more Rec. TDs. He actually had a very strong year, two seasons later. As I said, it doesn't matter but it's a thing with me. I really like Murray and that's saying something because I hate OU but that guy, I liked him. Even saying all that, I didn't want the team to sign him for the money he got from Philly. He wasn't worth that and yes, the team does come first. Without the team, nobody gets paid and it's not just one player, it's all of them.

You are right that we'll never know for sure what a player is worth until they hit the market, but if ZaDarius Smith can get $16M in free agency for having one 8.5 sack season, I have zero trouble believing that D-Law could get $20M a year. Zero.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
You are right that we'll never know for sure what a player is worth until they hit the market, but if ZaDarius Smith can get $16M in free agency for having one 8.5 sack season, I have zero trouble believing that D-Law could get $20M a year. Zero.

Doesn't mean it's a wise move. As example, Heroin a dangerous drug and everybody knows it. People die, in this country every day, through the use of it and yet, even though everybody knows this, people try it and use it and die from it. Just because somebody is willing to do something doesn't mean it's a good idea to follow suit.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
I think chances are those are some areas that will have to be worked on for the deal to happen. Never stated I had some inside scoop nor do you so save the smart ars comment. Dallas upped their offer to 20 mill avg and DLaw upped his to 22 mill. Fact is he will be a very highly paid DE and with the avg of 20 mill per year will be the highest DE and now tell me is he the best DE in the league?
so you don't know how close or far apart they are on the 3 most important things in a free agent contract.

Also being the top paid DE isn't about being the best DE int he league...it's about being in the conversation and having leverage when you come up for a new contract. Are you new to this?

Doomsday101

Reaction score
so you don't know how close or far apart they are on the 3 most important things in a free agent contract.

Also being the top paid DE isn't about being the best DE int he league...it's about being in the conversation and having leverage when you come up for a new contract. Are you new to this?

So players who are not the best should be paid as such. No not up on this idiotic view point. Hell Lets pay Dak 37 mill a year after all the market says so and it is not really about your play. I know that no matter how you slice it a deal that is an avg of 20 mill a year will put him in the top pay for a DE so you can spin in anyway you want

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
So players who are not the best should be paid as such. No not up on this idiotic view point. Hell Lets pay Dak 37 mill a year after all the market says so and it is not really about your play. I know that no matter how you slice it a deal that is an avg of 20 mill a year will put him in the top pay for a DE so you can spin in anyway you want
That is the way the world works in a rising salary cap environment. You must be new to this.

Boy will you be surprised to know that there are many RBs in the NFL today making more than Emmitt ever did!

Also if you think just AAV is important as far as a deal "no matter how you slice it"....its little wonder why you're so confused.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Owners/GMs rarely speak directly to players about contracts.

Most of what the teams says gets filtered by the agent before getting to the player.
I'm trying to recall when Jerry Jones sat down with Deion Sanders. You're probably right he left, let someone else deal with the negotiation

Doomsday101

Reaction score
That is the way the world works in a rising salary cap environment. You must be new to this.

Boy will you be surprised to know that there are many RBs in the NFL today making more than Emmitt ever did!

Also if you think just AAV is important as far as a deal "no matter how you slice it"....its little wonder why you're so confused.

Not new to it at all but also not new to over paying. Sorry but there is not a damn thing you can teach me. I know you impress yourself I'm not that impressed. When Jerry made Emmitt the highest paid RB ahead of Barry Sander I had no issue with it because Emmitt continued to produce and the bigger the game the more he shined. DLaw when he got his moment in post season he did not do a damn thing. You may think that deserves major pay and becoming the highest paid at the position I don't.

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Thing that makes me shake my head at the end of these deal is when the player says "It was not about the money"
I recalled Deion Sanders saying, too Emmitt Smith are you upset about the money

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I recalled Deion Sanders saying, too Emmitt Smith are you upset about the money

Emmitt was worth it and proved it before he got the contract and after. As for Deion to this day I think he is the best cover corner to play the game. I shake my head anytime I hear a player say it was not about the money

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Emmitt was worth it and proved it before he got the contract and after. As for Deion to this day I think he is the best cover corner to play the game. I shake my head anytime I hear a player say it was not about the money
Emmett was upset at least Dion thought Emmett was upset about his contract. Dion's contract. It gets confusing but not really LOL. So after Dion was signed to his contract. He said directly to Emmitt Smith are you upset about the money. Because Emmett didn't get paid yet at that time I believe. Or he was paid less . Dion was a freak of nature. Nobody wanted him until he came. Then it was like everybody love him

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Not new to it at all but also not new to over paying. Sorry but there is not a damn thing you can teach me. I know you impress yourself I'm not that impressed. When Jerry made Emmitt the highest paid RB ahead of Barry Sander I had no issue with it because Emmitt continued to produce and the bigger the game the more he shined. DLaw when he got his moment in post season he did not do a damn thing. You may think that deserves major pay and becoming the highest paid at the position I don't.
Try playin DE with a torn labrum. Sheez

shabazz

Reaction score
Thing that makes me shake my head at the end of these deal is when the player says "It was not about the money"

It allows these millionaires to maintain street credibility in the “community” although their current community is now a “gated community”

Status
Not open for further replies.