Bad week to be a Henson critic...

playit12

Reaction score
So I finally had a chance to watch the game on the DVR and so I'll try to redirect this thread back away from Quincy and irrational attacks.

What he did well:
Other than the first drive, he managed the drives well.
He seemed much more poised in the pocket than Chang, and he seemed so be seeing the plays unfold before him instead of trying to force passes.
He made some good strong passes down the middle and some nice short touch passes. He split the difference on passes out out to the sidelines on a 3 step drop. One was well placed while another should have been picked. The third was not bad but perhaps a few seconds too late.
He threw the ball away two times wisely.
He had a couple nice play fakes and he ran the bootleg very well.

What he didn't do well:
He made a couple bad passes and lofted a few passes.
His deep ball was not well thrown. He also threw some deep sideline routes that were not placed in the right position. He threw one too hard and thus didn't leave his man in the best position to make the catch.
He was really only 50-50 throwing out to the flat. I would like to have seen better acuracy here.
He slinged one pass, but it was the only time I saw him revert to the sidearm.
His TD pass was a very very poor decision. He was forced out of the pocket and avoided pressure by slipping back towards the middle of the field. Shortly after making the turn he slung the pass towards the fall sideline. This is a very very risky pass. This is the kind of pass you want to only leave your own player a shot at the ball. However because he threw the ball across the field, and the pass was a relatively short (foward speaking) pass he left several defenders a chance to disrupt the pass. Further the pass had to come over the shoulder of the defender to reach Smith. Had this been an NFL defender he would have had his head back looking for the pass and would have had the first shot at the ball. Again... not a good pass. He got lucky.

So overall... he led several good drives and he managed the game. I think he played an excellent Bill Parcells type game today. He did make two major mistakes (the short pass to the flat that should have been picked and the TD pass where he threw across the field) but he also showed excellent maturity. He wasn't flustered with being forced to the use the two early timeouts and he didn't try to force most of his passes. He also wasn't looking to run before pass.

Overall I'd give him a 7 out of 10 for today. He has certainly improved, but I need to see more. The game should be playing out in slow motion for him in Europe. This are really not good players on the other team.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I really don't get the polarization with Henson or Romo; or Carter or Hutch for that matter.

This isn't an either/or proposition. Guys can either make it in the league or they can't. I'd love to see EVERY Cowboy succeed in the NFL and then let the better player at the position succeed here while we move those who are slightly lesser for trade value or somesuch.

The TEAM does not benefit from anyone sucking.
How any Cowboy fan could routinely root for any Cowboy player to uniformly fail is beyond me. It truly is.

There have been guys I wished got cut such as Dixon and Lynn Scott but that is because of their level of play and I NEVER wished them failure on the field for the Cowboys; I have just hoped they were replaced by better players.

Given my preference both Henson and Romo would show they can play in the NFL. Heck Philly got what a 2nd for that bum backup QB(Feeley?) they traded to the Phins? I can live with having too many good players a lot better than not having enough.

As long as Henson is completing a reasonable percentage of his passes and helping his team win games forget the overanalysis. Every QB makes bad throws. Every QB makes decisions folks watching on TV will disagree with and half the time the coaching staffs are applauding those same decisions.

If for any reason you don't like a player on the Cowboys for whatever reason just stop reading posts about that player or posting about him for goodness sakes.

As a fan you come here to support your players not defend them from ceaseless attacks by other fans of the same team.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
jterrell said:
I really don't get the polarization with Henson or Romo; or Carter or Hutch for that matter.

This isn't an either/or proposition. Guys can either make it in the league or they can't. I'd love to see EVERY Cowboy succeed in the NFL and then let the better player at the position succeed here while we move those who are slightly lesser for trade value or somesuch.

The TEAM does not benefit from anyone sucking.
How any Cowboy fan could routinely root for any Cowboy player to uniformly fail is beyond me. It truly is.

There have been guys I wished got cut such as Dixon and Lynn Scott but that is because of their level of play and I NEVER wished them failure on the field for the Cowboys; I have just hoped they were replaced by better players.

Given my preference both Henson and Romo would show they can play in the NFL. Heck Philly got what a 2nd for that bum backup QB(Feeley?) they traded to the Phins? I can live with having too many good players a lot better than not having enough.

As long as Henson is completing a reasonable percentage of his passes and helping his team win games forget the overanalysis. Every QB makes bad throws. Every QB makes decisions folks watching on TV will disagree with and half the time the coaching staffs are applauding those same decisions.

If for any reason you don't like a player on the Cowboys for whatever reason just stop reading posts about that player or posting about him for goodness sakes.

As a fan you come here to support your players not defend them from ceaseless attacks by other fans of the same team.
IMO JT this polarization started with the Q vs. Hutch stuff and hasn't gone away. A lot of it is about mobile QBs vs. Pocket Passers. The theories on which are better are divided. That is why so many were excited about getting Q, while so many others didn't like him.

Q's first year he had some detractors, but nothing like what happened year 2 when we signed Hutch. It went ballistic. I think it went so badly that people began to harbor ill will for other posters and they still have that ill will today.

The worst thing Henson could have done is play baseball. Immediately he's the 2nd coming of Hutch and the whole stupid fiasco has wings again. What has this meant for Romo? Must find something really negative about him to combat it. Focus on his golf game.

In between let's ignore that they play for the Cowboys and it is in our best interest that both develop. As often as possible let's find a reason to trash one of them so that the old wars never die.

I guess these folks don't realize we signed TO. There's new grist for the mill. QB wars are old news. C'est la vie.

cowboy4life

"I Love Me Some Me." Hit The Bricks, *******. Team
Reaction score
Yakuza Rich said:
Davey wound up playing with the Pats that season and then was cut a year later.

To Henson's credit, Davey was a completely different story as he had never taken significant time away from the NFL. He was also never nearly highly as touted as Henson was.

I think it's important that Henson plays well, but he doesn't exactly have to light it up. With his natural ability, as long as he keeps improving incrementally, he's in good shape.

Rich............

Rohan Davey will make some team a hell of a QB. When you have an all Pro quarterback like Tom Brady playing in front of you, you don't have much chance of playing.

Henson, though I hadn't watched the tape of the game yet, seems to me to have the right atitude about this. However, if it were up to me, I would draft a quarterback in this year's draft. The odds of either Henson or Romo being the next Cowboys great quarterback are slim. I would rather have someone that actually played Div I football for four years prior to coming out on this roster to push one of these guys outta here.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
cowboy4life said:
Rohan Davey will make some team a hell of a QB. When you have an all Pro quarterback like Tom Brady playing in front of you, you don't have much chance of playing.

Henson, though I hadn't watched the tape of the game yet, seems to me to have the right atitude about this. However, if it were up to me, I would draft a quarterback in this year's draft. The odds of either Henson or Romo being the next Cowboys great quarterback are slim. I would rather have someone that actually played Div I football for four years prior to coming out on this roster to push one of these guys outta here.
I would draft a QB almost every year.I would always have a QB on the Practice Squad. We've done a poor job of developing QBs. It bothers me. We should have had someone in the wings to replace Aikman. Instead we had to reach in the Draft. Since then we've had to use guys who made their reputations somewhere else.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Hostile said:
IMO JT this polarization started with the Q vs. Hutch stuff and hasn't gone away. A lot of it is about mobile QBs vs. Pocket Passers. The theories on which are better are divided. That is why so many were excited about getting Q, while so many others didn't like him.

Q's first year he had some detractors, but nothing like what happened year 2 when we signed Hutch. It went ballistic. I think it went so badly that people began to harbor ill will for other posters and they still have that ill will today.

The worst thing Henson could have done is play baseball. Immediately he's the 2nd coming of Hutch and the whole stupid fiasco has wings again. What has this meant for Romo? Must find something really negative about him to combat it. Focus on his golf game.

In between let's ignore that they play for the Cowboys and it is in our best interest that both develop. As often as possible let's find a reason to trash one of them so that the old wars never die.

I guess these folks don't realize we signed TO. There's new grist for the mill. QB wars are old news. C'est la vie.

I don't know for sure about that direct correlation because Henson is as mobile as Q was. Thats really the reason he had such high prospect status. The guy is a great natural athlete. He was a 3rd baseman not a pitcher. Q played baseball too.

Theoretical arguments like mobile versus immobile again are just theory.

I prefer mobile QBs but I certainly wouldn't prefer Bledsoe who is the very definition of immobile be benched for a young unproven mobile guy. Bledsoe was the guy most often touted as being the Hutchinson role model and I argued argaints the overall ability of Hucth many times. And I still near tear up at thinking of Bledsoe because we finally have a real NFL QB.

But for me this nonsense goes beyond QB. It happens at LB, FB, WR, heck almost everywhere. If one person prefers one guy then all of a sudden the other guy needs to be scrutinized every snap and rooted against.

On a very well moderated board such as this I'd guess about 80% of the flames correspond directly to folks bashing players on the team and others taking major offense. I juts don't get the vitriole towards our own players.

cowboy4life

Reaction score
adbutcher said:
Oh oh I know

Agenda?

No agenda here. I thought that we wasted a third round pick on this guy. If he can't beat out Tony Romo, he's third string. I would love to see progression from Henson, that is one of the reasons why I am watching the games. I hadn't watched this game yet, but thank God for DVR. I can watch at my leisure.

As far as last week goes, that field was terrible. The game should have been postponed. Hopefully Henson continues playing well. You would expect this to continue, but I still think another quarterback will be on this roster before training camp. Minicamps start in May, I think that Henson will need to get some arm rest before July.

I am hoping that the Cowboys draft a quarterback this year, if for no other agenda than improving this team.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Hostile said:
I would draft a QB almost every year.I would always have a QB on the Practice Squad. We've done a poor job of developing QBs. It bothers me. We should have had someone in the wings to replace Aikman. Instead we had to reach in the Draft. Since then we've had to use guys who made their reputations somewhere else.

I agree.

We handled Carter and Hutch so poorly.
Neither guy should have taken a snap as a rookie. Not a single one.

No one needs more development time then guys who are raw and both guys were as raw as roadkill.

Too many teams think you can lose through a QBs development but you can't. The QB and the team get used to losing. They don't see the rewards for putting in the time and effort and ultimately stop doing it.

Sure it worked with Aikman but that was because it got turned around so quickly and when it was going bad Aikman was asking for a trade and Jimmy was seriously thinking of building around Steve Walsh for cripessake. Not only that but those first 2 years Aikman took hits that probably cost us at least one more Super Bowl run.

Thats why I like the way we are handling the kids now. I want them to succeed and all of us knew that Q wasn't succeeding as a rookie and neither was Hutch. Q was god awful, a total abomination and Hutch was almost as bad. Both guys ended up head cases lacking confidence in their own abilities.

Jerry ruined Carter and Coslet ruined Hutch. They sold the stock before it had matured and paid a huge penalty.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
jterrell said:
I agree.

We handled Carter and Hutch so poorly.
Neither guy should have taken a snap as a rookie. Not a single one.

No one needs more development time then guys who are raw and both guys were as raw as roadkill.

Too many teams think you can lose through a QBs development but you can't. The QB and the team get used to losing. They don't see the rewards for putting in the time and effort and ultimately stop doing it.

Sure it worked with Aikman but that was because it got turned around so quickly and when it was going bad Aikman was asking for a trade and Jimmy was seriously thinking of building around Steve Walsh for cripessake. Not only that but those first 2 years Aikman took hits that probably cost us at least one more Super Bowl run.

Thats why I like the way we are handling the kids now. I want them to succeed and all of us knew that Q wasn't succeeding as a rookie and neither was Hutch. Q was god awful, a total abomination and Hutch was almost as bad. Both guys ended up head cases lacking confidence in their own abilities.

Jerry ruined Carter and Coslet ruined Hutch. They sold the stock before it had matured and paid a huge penalty.
Great post.

I look at Green Bay as an example. They traded for Favre and he turned out to be great. Look at guys that they drafted then traded away who start/started elsewhere and play/played fairly well.

Aaron Brooks
Mark Brunnell
Matt Hasselbeck

I'd take a laundry list like that any day. Our laundry list reads.

Quincy Carter...out of the game.
Chad Hutchinson...outof the game.

The sad thing is neither of them has to be out of the game, but they weren't developed correctly. Being a backup QB who can get the job done is no sin. If you figure each team has 3 QBs that's 96 job openings. Not an easy lineup to crack.

I'm not averse to starting unproven rookies, but I admit, it isn't favorable. The QB you do start as a rookie needs to be pretty together because it is a bumpy road. Fragile egos need not apply at that age.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Hostile said:
Great post.

I look at Green Bay as an example. They traded for Favre and he turned out to be great. Look at guys that they drafted then traded away who start/started elsewhere and play/played fairly well.

Aaron Brooks
Mark Brunnell
Matt Hasselbeck

The sad thing is neither of them has to be out of the game, but they weren't developed correctly. Being a backup QB who can get the job done is no sin. If you figure each team has 3 QBs that's 96 job openings. Not an easy lineup to crack.

I'm not averse to starting unproven rookies, but I admit, it isn't favorable. The QB you do start as a rookie needs to be pretty together because it is a bumpy road. Fragile egos need not apply at that age.

GB is the role model there for sure and of course we now have the guy who set up the development for all those players as a consultant. Ron Wolf offered high praise in print to both Romo and Henson.

If a guy like Ben R starts becaus eof injury then finds ways to win games AWESOME but going into a seaosn intending to start a rookie is an easy way to lose a guy. Right now there are some questions about Eli Manning that wouldn't be present had he been brought along a tad more slowly IMHO. I like the way Cincy handled Carson Palmer and Minny handled Culpepper.

David Carr, Harrington and however many other QBs could have just used some bench time to get their head around the offense and what it takes to prepare. If you can invest a top 5 pick on a QB surely you can invest in a journeyman vet to buy you one season.

cowboy4life

Reaction score
Hostile said:

Absolutely Hostile. QB is the most difficult position on the field to learn and excel at. If it were up to me, I'd have four quarterbacks on the roster. Look at what teams like Green Bay have done. Favre has been around for years, but look at how many quarterbacks that have passed through Green Bay and gone on to have solid careers in their own right. Matt Hasselback and Aaron Brooks both were drafted by Green Bay and gone on via trade to become solid players.

Jerry Jones has had the wrong approach on this for years. Parcells like veterans but there is no reason why you can't draft a fourth or fifth round prospect every year to prepare for the future.

Ken

Reaction score
Hostile said:
Great post.

Aaron Brooks
Mark Brunnell
Matt Hasselbeck

I don't want to turn this into a Q thread but....

I agree that Hutch was brought along the wrong way.

To an extent, at least his first year, Q was too.

But Q is not out of the league because of his play at qb. His drug problem has him out of the league. If he didn't have that problem, *Gasp*, he would still be our qb.

:eek:

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Ken said:

But Q is not out of the league because of his play at qb. His drug problem has him out of the league. If he didn't have that problem, *Gasp*, he would still be our qb.

Gonna disagree with you because he wasn't waived because of the drug problem.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
jterrell said:
Sure it worked with Aikman but that was because it got turned around so quickly and when it was going bad Aikman was asking for a trade and Jimmy was seriously thinking of building around Steve Walsh for cripessake.

the above is absolutely not true according to Leigh Steinberg, Jimmy Johnson and Troy Aikman

Steinberg says he went to Aikman right after the 89 season and asked Troy if he wanted to request a trade to get out of there, and Aikman said no that he wanted to make it work...Jimmy says he never gave any real consideration at all to ever trading Aikman

David

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Ken said:

no he wouldnt...

David

lspain1

Reaction score
jterrell said:
If you can invest a top 5 pick on a QB surely you can invest in a journeyman vet to buy you one season.

This is correct. and right now we have so much more than a 'journeyman vet' in Drew Bledsoe. Bledsoe is a perfect quarterback to provide excellent play while you are developing you next qb. Bledsoe seems to have the on-field skills and work ethic and the leadership skills necessary to assist a qb to develop. I want Henson or Romo to succeed but I also would not hestitate to try others lower down in the draft who have a chance to succeed as well.

We have an excellent opportunity and a well defined window to develop our next qb. This is an important offseason to make that selection because it is the right time to make the commitment.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
dbair1967 said:
the above is absolutely not true according to Leigh Steinberg, Jimmy Johnson and Troy Aikman

Steinberg says he went to Aikman right after the 89 season and asked Troy if he wanted to request a trade to get out of there, and Aikman said no that he wanted to make it work...Jimmy says he never gave any real consideration at all to ever trading Aikman

David
Aikman talked to Johnson at length about their feud and Johnson got him into tropical fish. Johnson tells the story every year man its not exactly a secret.

At the end of their rookie season's Jimster took a poll of all Cowboys assistants and asked which ones thought Aikman/Walsh should start. Only 2 said Aikman. Jerry Rhome and 1 other rumored to have been Dave Campo. Jimmy knew he had to get rid of one of them and the personnel dept wanted Aikman by a mile.

Bob Ackles was running personnel and threw such hissies over Walsh playing that Jerry was forced to give Jimmy more personnel control or risk losing him.

Aikman has stated many times he told Johnson to play him or to trade him.

In comes Norv Turner and well the rest is Super Bowl history. Thats also why Norv Turner is introducing Aikman and gets credit from Aikman as being the one responsible for directing his career and getting the team to the Super Bowl.

Jimmy did not want to draft Aikman, didn't really want Emmitt and had inherited the one guy he would have absolutely drafted, Irvin.

What did Jimmy have against Troy: "He had never won anything and Walsh had won for me at Miami." Thats a direct quote from Jimmy in his own autobiography.

CaptainAmerica

Reaction score
jterrell said:
Aikman talked to Johnson at length about their feud and Johnson got him into tropical fish. Johnson tells the story every year man its not exactly a secret.

At the end of their rookie season's Jimster took a poll of all Cowboys assistants and asked which ones thought Aikman/Walsh should start. Only 2 said Aikman. Jerry Rhome and 1 other rumored to have been Dave Campo. Jimmy knew he had to get rid of one of them and the personnel dept wanted Aikman by a mile.

Bob Ackles was running personnel and threw such hissies over Walsh playing that Jerry was forced to give Jimmy more personnel control or risk losing him.

Aikman has stated many times he told Johnson to play him or to trade him.

In comes Norv Turner and well the rest is Super Bowl history. Thats also why Norv Turner is introducing Aikman and gets credit from Aikman as being the one responsible for directing his career and getting the team to the Super Bowl.

Jimmy did not want to draft Aikman, didn't really want Emmitt and had inherited the one guy he would have absolutely drafted, Irvin.

What did Jimmy have against Troy: "He had never won anything and Walsh had won for me at Miami." Thats a direct quote from Jimmy in his own autobiography.

Is that you, Skip? :)