Twitter: Barring a Strong Trade offer, Romo rumored to be released tomorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score
Haha, you think the Colts would have been better keeping Manning than handing the keys to Luck? That's so naive it's almost charming.

Well you were also just told that they owed him 28 million, we have no reason to release Tony right now.

None.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Come on now...You're working yourself into a lather and possible ulcer. The world didn't end 15 minutes ago.

We're each free to do what we feel is best. I choose not to let a disgrace like this go uncriticized.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Gotcha. I stand corrected. I thought they said nothing until June 1st. Maybe I misread Archer a few weeks ago.

Well his total dead money is $19M, and his current cap number is $24M. It's a little bit they get now, the rest would be later.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
Barring a strong trade offer?........how about Barring a trade offer period. I don't care if it's some depth on the team somewhere and a 7th rounder get something.

Only way I'm all for cutting Romo without compensation is if we save more money on the cap to get a.........WAR DADDY HAHA

DCBoysfan

Hardwork and Dedication
Reaction score
Hate to see Romo go, but this is a business at the end of the day. We have a young prospect ready to take over, there are teams who have been looking for QB's for the last 10 years.
Maybe we see Romo in February.

Wolf2k5

Reaction score
Just so I'm clear, what are the pros of actually releasing him tomorrow as opposed to June 1? Obviously besides the "do right" rule for Tony

TheFinisher

Reaction score
Only this FO could turn striking gold on a 4th round QB into taking a loss and eating $20+ mil in dead money while watching Romo play for another team and getting nothing in return.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
The world didn't end 15 minutes ago.
Don't know about that.

I bet there are a few in Cowboys Nation who literally have snot running down their noses right now, in a state of disbelief that not only is the Romo era over, it went out with a pathetic whimper.

I still wouldn't put it past Jerry Jones to have a news conference with Romo where he explains why he was released and gives him a great big hug.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That's nonsense. If multiple teams are interested you have a market. Only one team can sign him.

This is being done because Jerry Jones and his fat son Stephen are Hall of Fame caliber idiots. The same reason why this team had been the Bengals for two decades.

It takes a serious moron to turn a starter at the hardest position to find in sports into absolutely nothing.

Amazing how Jerry's "starter for the next five years" becomes worthless.

TRUTH87

Cowboy for Life
Reaction score
Ask yourself this. Why would you trade for a guy you know team is going to get rid of? I wouldn't trade a draft pick for a 37 year old.......I'd just wait for a team to cut him. Especially a injury prone one.

People overrated Romo's trade value.

I totally understand what youre saying. And it all goes back to Jerry trying to please tony. Im sure theres offers on the table. Just not from the teams tony wants. I hate the fact jerry is putting romo over the cowboys organization.

TheFinisher

Reaction score
The team he signs with will be paying him less money than we will this upcoming season

LittleD

Reaction score
We're each free to do what we feel is best. I choose not to let a disgrace like this go uncriticized.

I know...I know but, neither one of us can change things now barring an overnight offer that blows Jerry's socks off. The
Tony era has ended long live the Dak era. At least we hope it's long lived.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Honestly, I don't get this. Everyone who looked at the situation knew the endgame. Dallas' FO had no leverage and thus was never going to be able to extract a price for Romo. The other players (Den, Hou, KC) knew that if they simply did nothing the game would eventually come to them and they could get Romo without having to give up anything.

While I would have loved to have kept Romo it was neither realistic, nor in the organizations best interest, to do so for cap reasons.

Again, everyone knew that so the endgame is hardly surprising.

....and yet some people are upset and chalk it all up to the failure of the FO.

Its like reason is detached from the thought process of some.

Here we go with cheerleaders sticking up for this mess.

They had all the leverage. They couldn't have had more leverage, actually.

Sydla

Reaction score
Just so I'm clear, what are the pros of actually releasing him tomorrow as opposed to June 1? Obviously besides the "do right" rule for Tony

I believe you can cut him tomorrow and designate him a June 1 cut. If you cut him and don't designate him June 1, we save $5MM in cap space. If we cut him and designate him a June 1 cut, you can split the cap hit over the next two years, which means we would create like $8-9MM in cap space this year. However, that cap space can't be used until AFTER June 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.