Barry Church Reveals Jason Witten Was Deciding Factor for Dak Prescott to Take Over for Tony Romo

OGSixshooter

Reaction score
If he was healthy enough to play, Romo still should have been the QB that year.

I still think that was the wrong decision.
Wrong. What you and other folks are missing is that ROMO WAS NOT A LEADER OF MEN. Romo had the locker room to himself for about 8 years…and Dak took over in a few weeks. Just imagine someone taking over Dak’s role with the team in a few weeks…like a Trey Lance. Lance might be able to replace Dak’s play, but his leadership will still linger for a bit. Romo left a leadership void and once Dak filled it…it was a wrap.

Sulking, pouting, introspective and self-pitying…Romo didn’t have what it took to lead MEN.

OGSixshooter

Reaction score
And Dak even said it’s Romo’s team and he is only holding it down while he is out.. He would had no problem with handing it back to him..
Romo said “It’s Dak’s team”. Go back and watch Romo’s lips after he hits Dev for a TD on 3rd down on the road in Pittsburgh. He silently mouths, “It’s his time…”.

Qcard

Reaction score
Wish Dak had a full season to learn from Romo.
Why....Dak Prescott has equaled, surpassed in some metrics and could possibly make the Romo Era (san Parcells) irrelevant. There wasn't anything Romo could teach in his 2016 physical condition.
Mark Sanchez filled the role Romo was ill equipped to fulfill. The QB room was weird when Romo came back and goofy jokes weren't funny anymore :laugh: :laugh:

Dak Haters assemble!!

Qcard

Reaction score
You haven't seen the spring break video of Dak getting knocked out huh? Maybe our definitions of "beta" are different.
Yes....I also saw the Cabo Playoff break video

Dak Haters WE KNOW ITS NOT ABOUT FOOTBALL :lmao2::lmao2::lmao2::lmao2:

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
And Dak even said it’s Romo’s team and he is only holding it down while he is out.. He would had no problem with handing it back to him..
This is exactly why I never understood Garret's decision to NOT play Romo once Dak started struggling in the Green Bay game. I mean Dak had his entire career in front of him. Just a huge missed opportunity.......

DFWJC

Reaction score
He failed in many?

2006 - The botch hold vs Sea
2007 - Crayton drop 2 game sealing passes
2009 - Favre and AP destroyed our defense
2014 - Dez caught it

So outside of the botched snap where are all these failed playoff games? Because your take sounds like you just don’t like Romo. He wasn’t bad in the playoffs at all. Coaching and talent were our short comings.
Botched snap had nothing to do with the QB. It was a special teams play and should never have even been that.

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score
This is exactly why I never understood Garret's decision to NOT play Romo once Dak started struggling in the Green Bay game. I mean Dak had his entire career in front of him. Just a huge missed opportunity.......
The real time to go back to Romo was when Dak was stinking it up against the Giants.

Those stretch of games that started on Thanksgiving against Washington and to NY, he was completing 58% of his passes and had 3 td to 2 int. And lets not get into how bad he looked at the beginning of that Philly game. The same game where Romo went right down the field and scored a TD

Mk2_Cowboys

Reaction score
Dak didn’t lose the packer game, defense did and I’m the biggest Romo fan on this board.

nobody

Reaction score
Sorry, given how Dak was playing and the season was going, it was absolutely the right decision to keep Dak in and keep Romo on the bench. Dak didn't lose that playoff game. He played well enough to win. The defense stunk it up. The coaching stunk it up.

Should there have been a QB competition the next training camp and preseason? Absolutely, but also predicated on who could stay healthy.

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
I didn’t imply anything. Jerry is the one with the final decision and his decision was based on the locker room which is smart. The team had no intentions of rallying behind Romo so these wet fantasies talk have of Romo taking those teams to the SB are just that. Fantasies. He was not a leader and it showed.

And if you remember the offense wasn’t the issue that game. Romo never took advantage of poor defenses in all of his playoff appearances.
Owner and GMs In Title because they own the team don’t decide who plays on the field. If that is the case in the Cowboys organization it’s the only one in the league and is a reason they haven’t won anything of significance in the past thirty years.

“Rallying behind”, “leader of men”, etc., are more stupid platitudes that mean nothing in the game. Talent, coaching, dedication, hard work, and the standard football measurable win games. Romo has led plenty of teams back in the fourth quarter (his QBR was outstanding in many of those situations) and has pulled magic out of a hat plenty of times.

And yes, the Cowboys offense was a problem and did nothing for 2.5 quarters in that game. Just because the defense didn’t do its job doesn’t mean the offense couldn’t have done theirs.

OGSixshooter

Reaction score
Owner/GMs in title because they own the team don’t decide who plays on the field. If that is the case in the Cowboys organization it’s the only one in the league and is a reason they haven’t won anything of significance in the past thirt years.

“Rallying behind”, “leader of men”, etc., are more stupid platitudes that mean nothing in the game. Talent, coaching, dedication, hard work, and the standard football measurable swim games. Romo has led plenty of teams back in the fourth quarter (his QBR was outstanding) and pulled magic out of a hat plenty of times.

And yes, the Cowboys offense was a problem and did nothing for 2.5 quarters in that game. Just because the defense didn’t do its job doesn’t mean the offense couldn’t have done theirs.
Wrong. Learn to discriminate between platitudes and performance. When other LEADERS OF MEN all acknowledge another man as their leader that is NOT a platitude. It's as real as momentum, chemistry and other less tangible, but observably true phenomena. Wrong, wrong, wrong.

phildadon86

Reaction score
Dak has never gotten passed the divisional round so far either.

I guess we should just throw the towel in since we have no shot at a SB…

Do you see how dumb your logic is?
I mean just to play devils advocate. Dak tied Romo for playoff wins in half the time. And his playoff stats are much better I believe. Romo in 2014 played hero ball with Murray and Beasley open he wanted to go for it which is fine, but that Dez catch shouldn’t have even happened. Get the first take time off the clock, which is funny because he says it in his commentary all the time lol. I loved Romo but he isn’t the leader Dak is.

Daks first year in the playoffs, Zeke and some other teammates were heading to a Kanye concert and invited Dak. Dak said no to stay behind and study film.

Romo in our best chance to win a SB in 2007 decided a trip to Cabo was a good idea because he loved his girlfriend at the time.

Both good to great QBs. One just didn’t have his head in the right place until
His body was broken.

Witten was and still is Romos best friend. The fact he decided on Dak should show you everything you need to know.

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
Wrong. Learn to discriminate between platitudes and performance. When other LEADERS OF MEN all acknowledge another man as their leader that is NOT a platitude. It's as real as momentum, chemistry and other less tangible, but observably true phenomena. Wrong, wrong, wrong.
But why didn’t Dak become a leader of men and will his team to victory over the 49ers earlier this year? Why did he go into a shell and fail miserably?

You excessively biased Dak stans are silly with your selective application of these terms. All of these platitudes come with winning and success, not because of them. You think Romo was in the huddle and said, “Aw shuck guys, I don’t think we’re going to pull this one out but just go out there and go through the motions. Golly gee willakers.”

TheCritic

Reaction score
Wrong. What you and other folks are missing is that ROMO WAS NOT A LEADER OF MEN. Romo had the locker room to himself for about 8 years…and Dak took over in a few weeks. Just imagine someone taking over Dak’s role with the team in a few weeks…like a Trey Lance. Lance might be able to replace Dak’s play, but his leadership will still linger for a bit. Romo left a leadership void and once Dak filled it…it was a wrap.

Sulking, pouting, introspective and self-pitying…Romo didn’t have what it took to lead MEN.
Congratulations for breaking the all time record for making up the most BS ever in a single post. That's quite an accomplishment!

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No...it was Jerry...as it always is:

"We can't mess with a win streak".

Most valuable sports franchise in the history of humankind, run like a cheap slot machine in Vegas.

HabsCowboysOwn

Reaction score
There's no shortage of Romo hating clown takes in this thread, a good way to spot the clueless, delusional Dak fanboys and quickly fill up the ignore list.

KalEl

KalEl 94
Reaction score
Botched snap had nothing to do with the QB. It was a special teams play and should never have even been that.
Exactly…so where are all these playoff failures that were suggested?