Barry Church Reveals Jason Witten Was Deciding Factor for Dak Prescott to Take Over for Tony Romo

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Haha they did I honestly was shocked they put him in the last thing they needed was for him to get hurt during a garbage touchdown but I guess it was suppose to be a send off to his fans one last time.
You and othrrs coukdnt care less if he got hurt again. In fact you would have enjoyed it.

On the othrr hand....you didnt want romo looking too good either so youd rather have romo pulled than show what a vet qb could have done.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
completely disagree. i dont think Dak's trajectory changes a bit by throwing Romo back into the lineup with 4 games remaining in the season.
Yep....both could have happened. I mean we are 8 years later....dak might be finally coming into his own....how does a season deter that?

Romo haters...might suffer from the same illness they accuse dak haters of.....its the only explanation..

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
Bro, I have issues with Dak's PERFORMANCE. But again, most children conflate leadership with OUTCOME. Leadership often leads in failure...Jimmy won 2 SB in 5 seasons. Belichick won 7 SBs but went to like 20 playoff appearances. The outcome doesn't mean you didn't lead.

So...Romo was not a leader. Period. Not in the franchise QB leadership mold. Anyone who was around in 2016 would tell you so...even down to his desperate attempt to have team parties at his mansion...after Dak had already had the team's hearts. Meanwhile, Dak was a leader in HS, MS State and the MINUTE he got here...that's according to THE PEOPLE WHO MATTER, THE PLAYERS.

And again, I have issues with Dak's talent level and consistency...not his leadership.
:laugh: Did you just use some alleged failure of Romo to hold team parties at his mansion as some example of failed leadership?

OGSixshooter

Reaction score
:laugh: Did you just use some alleged failure of Romo to hold team parties at his mansion as some example of failed leadership?
No I did not. Your comprehension issues frustrate communication. Romo's pathetic, late and cynical attempt at leadership was an example of a person who doesn't have a clue what leadership looks like. He failed LONG BEFORE HE TRIED TO THROW THE PARTY.

This is clear to anyone who is trying to represent my point honestly...not an insecure person who puts up strawmen arguments to make himself feel better.

Reaction score
An idiotic decision that cost them a Super Bowl trip
As a rookie, Prescott started all 16 games with 3,667 passing yards, 282 rushing yards, 29 total touchdowns, and only four interceptions, and his 67.8% completion percentage ranked fourth among NFL quarterbacks in 2016. With the Cowboys finishing the season with a 13–3 record, the team clinched the NFC East title.

if you don't remember, complements of Wikipedia.

After the fact everyone has the answers but IMO, then and now, you shouldn't have stopped that freight train!

Kwyn

Reaction score
It’s weird seeing you guys arguing the same points with each other as you did 8 years ago.

I have a feeling in another 8 years you’ll all still be just as dug in on your side, as you are now, reminding each other of things you said in 2015.

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score
As a rookie, Prescott started all 16 games with 3,667 passing yards, 282 rushing yards, 29 total touchdowns, and only four interceptions, and his 67.8% completion percentage ranked fourth among NFL quarterbacks in 2016. With the Cowboys finishing the season with a 13–3 record, the team clinched the NFC East title.

if you don't remember, complements of Wikipedia.

After the fact everyone has the answers but IMO, then and now, you shouldn't have stopped that freight train!
Now show me the wikipedia of the rookie QB that has won a super bowl

Reaction score
Now show me the wikipedia of the rookie QB that has won a super bowl
common man? i'm as big a fan of romo as anyone, love him. but starting dak was the right call at the time. besides, romo was physically broken at the end. hopefully we rejoice in a win tomorrow and go forward!

DFWJC

Reaction score
No I did not. Your comprehension issues frustrate communication. Romo's pathetic, late and cynical attempt at leadership was an example of a person who doesn't have a clue what leadership looks like. He failed LONG BEFORE HE TRIED TO THROW THE PARTY.

This is clear to anyone who is trying to represent my point honestly...not an insecure person who puts up strawmen arguments to make himself feel better.
You seem like a mean-spirited person.
Would you admit to that?
No worries, as many in the world are like that.
Ying and yang and so on...

Not even sure why the OP thought this was a great thread to start given how long ago it was and high the risk/probability of story-editing would be.

Would rather focus on the here and now.

stilltheguru

Reaction score
You seem like a mean-spirited person.
Would you admit to that?
No worries, as many in the world are like that.
Ying and yang and so on...

Not even sure why the OP thought this was a great thread to start given how long ago it was and high the risk/probability of story-editing would be.

Would rather focus on the here and now.
yea rookie dak taking over his team isn't enough evidence of the lack of leadership lol. According to church there wasn't even a split lol

Qcard

Reaction score
Is anyone going to answer the question or obfuscate???

Why did HOF Witten Pick Prescott over Romo? :facepalm: :huh:

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score

Oh Shut up. You said it right here in your own words:

“…even down to his desperate attempt to have team parties at his mansion.”

And please quote proof that the majority of players thought he wasn’t a good leader. Or stop with this utter drivel based on nothing but your biased imagination.

Qcard

Reaction score
Oh Shut up. You said it right here in your own words:

“…even down to his desperate attempt to have team parties at his mansion.”

And please quote proof that the majority of players thought he wasn’t a good leader. Or stop with this utter drivel based on nothing but your biased imagination.
@OGSixshooter ... Let me show how to destroy Dak Haters :lmao2: :lmao: :lmao2:

Watch the Goalpost shift....impune Jason Hatcher's character and motives:lmao::lmao: He's NOT Majority Player!!! :laugh:

https://www.audacy.com/1053thefan/a...-leadership-says-jason-garrett-sabotaged-wade

"Romo didn't have the it factor to make people around him better. I think when I was there he thought he was bigger than the team. It was like Romo and then the team. Like nobody in the locker room is really going to respect you like that. I really don't respect him as a player based on what he did to the team where a lot of people didn't see.

"He was a great player and got all the numbers and stuff but I'll take Dak over Romo any day because Dak has the ability to make people around him better. You'll run through a wall for Dak but Romo, hell no."

stilltheguru

Reaction score
@OGSixshooter ... Let me show how to destroy Dak Haters :lmao2: :lmao: :lmao2:

Watch the Goalpost shift....impune Jason Hatcher's character and motives:lmao::lmao: He's NOT Majority Player!!! :laugh:

https://www.audacy.com/1053thefan/a...-leadership-says-jason-garrett-sabotaged-wade
He's going to say 1 person isn't majority. But what we won't see is him provide proof of anybody besides Witten or Garrett that speaks highly of Romos leadership.

Even when it's not football season, Dallas Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo can't catch a break.
Romo and Cowboys tight end Jason Witten were spotted in Dallas owner Jerry Jones' suite at the 2014 NCAA championship game. They were joined by the likes of Jones, Cowboys coach Jason Garrett and others.
Their presence seemed innocent enough, but one former Cowboys player—Marcus Spears—wasn't a fan of the sight:
It doesn't look like there was much room for anyone else.
Spears went on 105.3 The Fan’s New School with Shan & RJ on Tuesday morning to explain his thoughts, via CBS DFW (h/t ProFootballTalk):
You understand in this league that your star players are going to have things come their way that most guys don’t. I’m not benign to think that. I’ve had opportunities that some guys didn’t have…The team aspect has always been first to me. That’s just the bottom line. I don’t know if it sends the right message when your head coach is hanging out with one particular guy.

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
He's going to say 1 person isn't majority. But what we won't see is him provide proof of anybody besides Witten or Garrett that speaks highly of Romos leadership.

You’re damn right one person isn’t proof of anything. There are plenty of employees in companies that don’t like others or hold negative opinions of them. It doesn’t mean they can’t do their job, or whatever they say is true.

Also, the absence of evidence is not proof of absence.

And really, he provides one person and you unwittingly help the opposite case by mentioning two examples? :laugh:

You guys like to talk about leadership. So, let’s lay out such qualities and/or those attributes that are measurable and show where these players fall on such a standard. Otherwise, you’re just throwing out broad generalizations for players you just like.

stilltheguru

Reaction score
You’re damn right one person isn’t proof of anything. There are plenty of employees in companies that don’t like others or hold negative opinions of them. It doesn’t mean they can’t do their job, or whatever they say is true.

Also, the absence of evidence is not proof of absence.

And really, he provides one person and you unwittingly help the opposite case by mentioning two examples? :laugh:

You guys like to talk about leadership. So, let’s lay out such qualities and/or those attributes that are measurable and show where these players fall on such a standard. Otherwise, you’re just throwing out broad generalizations for players you just like.
The proof is the rookie taking his team with no pushback lol. Again, if dak gets hurt and Lance goes 7-0 he will get parked right back on the bench when dak is ready
Why is that?

Qcard

Reaction score

Even when it's not football season, Dallas Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo can't catch a break.
Romo and Cowboys tight end Jason Witten were spotted in Dallas owner Jerry Jones' suite at the 2014 NCAA championship game. They were joined by the likes of Jones, Cowboys coach Jason Garrett and others.
Their presence seemed innocent enough, but one former Cowboys player—Marcus Spears—wasn't a fan of the sight:
It doesn't look like there was much room for anyone else.
Spears went on 105.3 The Fan’s New School with Shan & RJ on Tuesday morning to explain his thoughts, via CBS DFW (h/t ProFootballTalk):
They don't understand the breathe of fresh air that Dak and Zeke brought to the Lockerroom in 2016, whilst Romo had his own QB1 "area" :facepalm:

Romo was a very good QB with below average Leadership skills

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
The proof is the rookie taking his team with no pushback lol. Again, if dak gets hurt and Lance goes 7-0 he will get parked right back on the bench when dak is ready
Why is that?
That isn’t proof of such at all. At most it’s proof that the team didn’t want to “voodoo” negatively affect a win streak as if Tony hadn’t taken teams to 9-1 or 12-4 records. Jerry even said it himself. Nor is proof speculations about future contrived scenarios.

Last edited:

stilltheguru

Reaction score
They don't understand the breathe of fresh air that Dak and Zeke brought to the Lockerroom in 2016, whilst Romo had his own QB1 "area" :facepalm:

Romo was a very good QB with below average Leadership skills
But when a big dawg came in the qb room hey guys let's hang out lol.