Barry Church Reveals Jason Witten Was Deciding Factor for Dak Prescott to Take Over for Tony Romo

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
I mean you’ve answered everything stupid I figured I’d give you a taste of your own medicine.
Really? You imply the players made the decision then you backtrack and said Jerry did. I then say the owner isn’t supposed to make that decision and you respond with a “Pewee Herman” like insult. The only person being stupid here is you.

The people who are supposed to make the decision are those who are qualified and are tasked with making those decisions, and should do so based on an objective assessment of the situation, typically a well qualified coaching staff led by a well qualified head coach (which not only in retrospect, but at the time) didn’t exist. If you make dumb and contradictory decisions based on intangible things like a “win streak” and “chemistry”, as opposed to the better QB significantly outplaying a rookie in practice even according to the past comments of the person in the video who is telling the story, you deserve the dumb results of going home as the #1 seed against one of the worst pass defenses in the playoffs that season.

Last edited:

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
Here are the highlights from that 2016 preseason game against the Rams that Barry Church referred to. I didn't see that game, so I was glad to find it. I remember being torn about whether Romo should get his job back. The Youtuber I respect most, Footsdaking, made a video about it and the pros and cons, and he concluded that they should have brought Romo back. But it's hard to pull a guy who's winning. There was also the concern that they would prep all week for the playoff game against Green Bay with Romo, only for him to get hurt in the game. Then Dak would come in, of course, but he would be coming in not having been the first QB in practice all week. I personally was torn. I wanted Romo back, I loved him, but Dak was playing great. I honestly was not sure.
The Rams game vid:

KalEl

KalEl 94
Reaction score
People act like he was the second coming of Joe Montana. He failed in many playoff games and he hardly played any games for 2 seasons. And now all of a sudden he's going to beat the great Aaron Rogers.
He failed in many?

2006 - The botch hold vs Sea
2007 - Crayton drop 2 game sealing passes
2009 - Favre and AP destroyed our defense
2014 - Dez caught it

So outside of the botched snap where are all these failed playoff games? Because your take sounds like you just don’t like Romo. He wasn’t bad in the playoffs at all. Coaching and talent were our short comings.

Kingofholland

Reaction score
Ya like 2 years prior with a BETTER team
The 14 and 16 teams felt kind of similiar, but agree the 14 team could have been better. Murray had an amazing season and the Cowboys were a running team with a complimentary passing attack. Offensively 14 had a prime Dez and a slightly younger Witten. Both defenses, particularly on the dline were weak, Sean Lee was back in 16 and was by far the best player which was the biggest defensive difference.

KalEl

KalEl 94
Reaction score
Because Romo had lost the team, it's funny how you or @WillieBeamen never acknowledge that they never wanted Romo back as the starter, even his own bff Witten didn't.
Did you even listen to Church? Or Dez? They both said it wasn‘t about a split lockerroom or who wanted Romo vs who wanted Dak. It was all about the momentum at that point. They won 11 straight games. Witten knows football he didn’t want to break the momentum the team had, neither did Romo.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Yeah when Romo came in and played those plays against egirl he made those plays so easy. I think Romo should have gotten the shot..
Dak had played well during the regular season, no question about that, but post season is a different monster. I would have met with both QBs to remind them of the opportunity we were facing and that we may need BOTH of them to get to the Super Bowl. We will deal with the controversy after the season but winning is all that matters now. Dak would have continued to start each playoff game as long as he played well. But once he started struggling due to lack of experience, I would have replaced him with Romo in a heartbeat. I said many times, that a healthy Romo was better than Dak but we couldn't trust his health past X number of games. But we only needed his health for one, two maybe three games in the playoff and that is the advantage Garret F___up IMO.

starfan1

Reaction score
The 14 and 16 teams felt kind of similiar, but agree the 14 team could have been better. Murray had an amazing season and the Cowboys were a running team with a complimentary passing attack. Offensively 14 had a prime Dez and a slightly younger Witten. Both defenses, particularly on the dline were weak, Sean Lee was back in 16 and was by far the best player which was the biggest defensive difference.
Trying to remember so I used google to help but 14 had Hitchens, McClain and Carter vs 16 Lee and Hitchens can’t remember what happened to Lee in 14 must have lost him in training camp but in 16 he was a very good player for us

He went downhill afterwards

Regardless I think both teams downfall was the defense

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Trying to remember so I used google to help but 14 had Hitchens, McClain and Carter vs 16 Lee and Hitchens can’t remember what happened to Lee in 14 must have lost him in training camp but in 16 he was a very good player for us

He went downhill afterwards

Regardless I think both teams downfall was the defense
One reason why I feel better about this year. Although I say that ever year including last year. We have "Complimentary Ball" again as Big Mac likes to call it. Defense + Special Teams, not just another good offense led by a QB playing above his draft position.

Disappointed though that the defense is showing leaks. Starting to turn into that HotBoyz defense. A unit that can get bullied. Hopefully they can ball out just 4 more games. Big Hank is back. LVE and Diggs won't be joining the party. Let's make it!

DCreppinBoysfan

Reaction score
I was back and forth. But towards the end of the season I was ready for Romo. I though Dak was either in hitting a wall or just want ready by the Tampa game , even though we won, it was very ugly. Plus I had about 10 games to watch Dak from there and form my perspective he was managing. 10 games was a good sample size to see that his mechanics needed tightening. He wasn’t using Dez that great. I thought the oline and defense was carrying us and Dak was managing really well. But I didn’t think that was enough to win in the postseason

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
I was back and forth. But towards the end of the season I was ready for Romo. I though Dak was either in hitting a wall or just want ready by the Tampa game , even though we won, it was very ugly. Plus I had about 10 games to watch Dak from there and form my perspective he was managing. 10 games was a good sample size to see that his mechanics needed tightening. He wasn’t using Dez that great. I thought the oline and defense was carrying us and Dak was managing really well. But I didn’t think that was enough to win in the postseason
Good point. I remember that. It did slow down end of year. Almost like teams figuring out how to play the new threat of Dak/Zeke.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Really? You imply the players made the decision then you backtrack and said Jerry did. I then say the owner isn’t supposed to make that decision and you respond with a “Pewee Herman” like insult. The only person being stupid here is you.

The people who are supposed to make the decision are those who are qualified and are tasked with making those decisions, and should do so based on an objective assessment of the situation, typically a well qualified coaching staff led by a well qualified head coach (which not only in retrospect, but at the time) didn’t exist. If you make dumb and contradictory decisions based on intangible things like a “win streak” and “chemistry”, as opposed to the better QB significantly outplaying a rookie in practice even according to the past comments of the person in the video who is telling the story, you deserve the dumb results of going home as the #1 seed against one of the worst pass defenses in the playoffs that season.
I didn’t imply anything. Jerry is the one with the final decision and his decision was based on the locker room which is smart. The team had no intentions of rallying behind Romo so these wet fantasies talk have of Romo taking those teams to the SB are just that. Fantasies. He was not a leader and it showed.

And if you remember the offense wasn’t the issue that game. Romo never took advantage of poor defenses in all of his playoff appearances.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
That’s ridiculous! :rolleyes: No way was Romo going to out duel Rodgers with our choking defense. Once we got behind Romo would have been throwing the ball up for grabs trying to bring us back and it would have led to a Packers blowout. Most of the do or die games we got behind in with Romo led to debacles. Go review his playoff/elimination game history. He would lose his poise and the floor would cave in. Some of you act like Romo had a great playoff record. lol
Daaaamn, cold hard facts! Coming from you, KJJ, I'm surprised. :thumbup:

DFWJC

Reaction score
I will say this

• 2023 version Dak would've led the Cowobys over the 2016 Packers team
  • 2014 version Romo would've led the Cowboys past the 2007 Giants.

Good QBs evolve and get better. Both of them did so. Measuring them on those games does not measure who they became
I'm looking forward to this year's playoffs
:flagwave:

DFWJC

Reaction score
We had a dominant running game, just like we did when we lost in Green Bay in 14, that is the difference. When we finally had the pieces together, I just believe that Romo with a rookie Zeke would have been pretty much unstoppable. I just really would have loved to have had the chance to witness it. For the record, the Packers defense was even worse than ours that year.

I don't completely disagree with you about Romo, but making him seem like the only reason we lost is just lazy. Yes, it still happens to this day with Dak and it is just as bad. I am a Dak fan and obviously want the Boys to win it all this year, even with Dak.
Dallas wins 41-27.
No early red zone interception and no going down in that game big early vs th the 31st ranked defense. Dallas controls the game and the ball at home, and scores at will---like the rest of the league did all year. Atlanta scored 44 the following week in blowing that GB team out.
Romo had no turnovers against 2 far better defenses the last 2 games in the playoffs and he'd have none here either
Rodgers is not on the field as long, so one less TD.
Dallas wins easily...41-27

joseephuss

Reaction score
He failed in many?

2006 - The botch hold vs Sea
2007 - Crayton drop 2 game sealing passes
2009 - Favre and AP destroyed our defense
2014 - Dez caught it

So outside of the botched snap where are all these failed playoff games? Because your take sounds like you just don’t like Romo. He wasn’t bad in the playoffs at all. Coaching and talent were our short comings.
Peterson had 26 carries for 63 yards in that playoff game.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Dak had played well during the regular season, no question about that, but post season is a different monster. I would have met with both QBs to remind them of the opportunity we were facing and that we may need BOTH of them to get to the Super Bowl. We will deal with the controversy after the season but winning is all that matters now. Dak would have continued to start each playoff game as long as he played well. But once he started struggling due to lack of experience, I would have replaced him with Romo in a heartbeat. I said many times, that a healthy Romo was better than Dak but we couldn't trust his health past X number of games. But we only needed his health for one, two maybe three games in the playoff and that is the advantage Garret F___up IMO.
And Dak even said it’s Romo’s team and he is only holding it down while he is out.. He would had no problem with handing it back to him..