Barry Church Reveals Jason Witten Was Deciding Factor for Dak Prescott to Take Over for Tony Romo

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
Washington was certainly no powerhouse when we faced them in a season finale elimination game in 2012. RG3 was a rookie playing on an injured leg. He only had around 100 yards passing but he was still able to scramble (limp) for a few key first downs. Alfred Morris, another rookie rushed for 200 yards. Romo suffered a complete meltdown tossing 3 INT’s. After the game practically the entire board wanted to move on from him. He was up for an extension and no one wanted to pay him. Even the Romo lovers disappeared and wouldn’t defend him. :laugh:
I wasn't expecting much in the playoffs but c'mon you have to beat that team. lol

wssaustin

Reaction score
Dak threw for 302 yards and 3 TDs at 8 YPA in the 2016 playoff game. Romo wasn’t going to make a difference in that outcome. The game was lost because Garrett kicked two field goals on 4th and 1 with the best OL/RB in the league and our defense didn’t show up in the first half.

You should never lose a home playoff game scoring 30+ points
That Packers' defense was weak, Romo would have 400+ yards and easily shredded them. Game lost not because of Garret, it was Scott Linehan getting cute and Dak couldn't covert a couple of key 3rd downs.

Jstopper

Reaction score
Watched the '16 loss to GB last night and was reminded how fast Zeke was at one time. Dude had a couple runs that started up the middle and he bounced it wide where he beat defenders, that had an angle, to the edge. Very impressive stuff from him then.

Also, noticed a change in Dak's physique and mobility. Dak has a thick (not bad) appearance now but in '16 he clearly was leaner which highlighted a more muscular appearance and his footwork was much quicker. Age and injuries really take a toll on these guys.

Can't believe that team didn't go further given the roster.
This is so far from accurate that its not even funny. I was actually watching highlights from Dak that rookie season last night and his mechanics were HORRIBLE. His throwing motion, how long it took to throw and his footwork all looked like a player who was fresh out of college which he was. His mechanics and footwork now blow his rookie self out of the water. I'm definitely gonna need you to elaborate a bit more on what you mean, cuz to say his footwork was quicker back then? hell no it was sloppy and he didn't tie his footwork steps into his throws which he does now.

InPhiltraitor

Reaction score
This is so far from accurate that its not even funny. I was actually watching highlights from Dak that rookie season last night and his mechanics were HORRIBLE. His throwing motion, how long it took to throw and his footwork all looked like a player who was fresh out of college which he was. His mechanics and footwork now blow his rookie self out of the water. I'm definitely gonna need you to elaborate a bit more on what you mean, cuz to say his footwork was quicker back then? hell no it was sloppy and he didn't tie his footwork steps into his throws which he does now.
You’re referencing his mechanics, I wasn’t. I think he’s definitely a much more accomplished as a passer today.

mknight21

Reaction score
Man I just watched this game again and can’t for the life of me figure out why yall think Dak didn’t play well. He had us inside the twenty and we get a crazy 15 yard substitution penalty. Only time I saw a 3 and out he hit Terrance Williams dead in the hands for a 15 yard gain and he dropped it. Rodgers played out of his mind. Dak had one bad pick on wr screen dude played really well. Some of you guys are insanely critical. Imagine if we supported 4. I’m glad we got him.

DFWJC

Reaction score
The irony here is that its Barry Church--the same man very much on record saying late in the 2016 season Romo was just toying with the defense in practice and was clearly the better QB (at that stage of their careers).
Church has said this multiple times.

Kingofholland

Reaction score
There was no reason to go back to Romo and sounds like the locker room was fully in support of it including Romo's best friend.

Frankly, those arguing in favor of Romo that he would have generated a different outcome are ignoring the rest of Romo's career and what he delivered.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
There was no reason to go back to Romo and sounds like the locker room was fully in support of it including Romo's best friend.

Frankly, those arguing in favor of Romo that he would have generated a different outcome are ignoring the rest of Romo's career and what he delivered.
Romo spent most of his career carrying the Cowboys on his back. What Romo delivered for years was a *chance* for a team that just wasn't very good w/o Romo magic. Romo *lifted* the team.
In 2016, what would have lifting an already dominant oline and run game have looked like? An offense capable of carrying the team to a SB.
Romo was our Elway, except that when his Terrell Davis came along, we benched him.
Supporters of Dak over Romo in 2016 always talk about everything *but* the key determinant of picking between the two - which guy was the better QB in 2016?
Cause we all know that if Romo was healthy enough to get on the field, the answer was Romo.

Brooksey

Reaction score
It's just dumbest thing I've heard in 40 years ..that we had ride Dak for the playoffs as a rookie. Dumbest move of all-time.

Yes he had a great year but Romo was the smart savy vet. Dak should have backed Romo up in playoffs, how dumb was JW, wow.

Zman5

Reaction score
For the last time, his injuries were bad luck

Not all of it was bad luck. Some of it was him holding on to the ball too long and he had issues reading the blitz vs certain defenses.
Romo had hard time with late Jim Jonson's(DC from the Eagirls) defenses and would get pummeled when playing them.
That happend in 44-6 game vs the Eagirls in 2008.

Jim Haslet's defenses would do the same. Romo got injured in 2014 vs the Deadskins by a blitzer. We even had a great OLine and the Deadskins weren't that great in 2014.

In 2015 vs the Eagirls, he broke his collarbone when a blitzer got to him.
The final real game he played in the NFL was against Carolina in 2015. He got wacked by a blitzing LB who broke his collar bone. We had a good OLine in 2015 also.

So it wasn't just bad luck. I supported and defended Romo but one major thing that used to piss me off about him was holding on to the ball too long only to get whacked. And something usually bad happened when he did that.

Last edited:

Kingofholland

Reaction score
Romo spent most of his career carrying the Cowboys on his back. What Romo delivered for years was a *chance* for a team that just wasn't very good w/o Romo magic. Romo *lifted* the team.
In 2016, what would have lifting an already dominant oline and run game have looked like? An offense capable of carrying the team to a SB.
Romo was our Elway, except that when his Terrell Davis came along, we benched him.
Supporters of Dak over Romo in 2016 always talk about everything *but* the key determinant of picking between the two - which guy was the better QB in 2016?
Cause we all know that if Romo was healthy enough to get on the field, the answer was Romo.
Carrying the team on his back? Respectively I remember those years very differently and you make it seem like he was QBing a team with no talent over his career which isn't true. Romo produced 3 seasons over 10 wins during his career, had 2 seasons with a winning record in December and a 2-4 playoff record. In the 2015 season he played in 4 games posted a career low 79 rating threw 5 tds to 7 ints. His last game starting for the Cowboys that year saw him go 11-21 for 106 yards and 3 ints which was the last time he would take snaps until week 16 for 1 drive of the 2016 season.

Yet Romo was John Elway ready to lead the team to greatness? I find it highly unlikely based on the recent results and time played that he would change the script. Look, I love Romo, he was a good QB, a good success story from coming in undrafted, and a top 4 or 5 QB in franchise history, but his NFL career closed in the preseason of 2016 and there was no going back.

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score
Not all of it was bad luck. Some of it was him holding on to the ball too long and he had issues reading the blitz vs certain defenses.
Romo had hard time with late Jim Jonson's(DC from the Eagirls) defenses and would get pummeled when playing them.
That happend in 44-6 game vs the Eagirls in 2008.

Jim Haslet's defenses would do the same. Romo got injured in 2014 vs the Deadskins by a blitzer. We even had a great OLine and the Deadskins weren't that great in 2014.

In 2015 vs the Eagirls, he broke his collarbone when a blitzer got to him.
The final real game he played in the NFL was against Carolina in 2015. He got wacked by a blitzing LB who broke his collar bone. We had a good OLine in 2015 also.

So it wasn't just bad luck. I supported and defended Romo but one major thing that used to piss me off about him was holding on to the ball too long only to get whacked. And something usually bad happened when he did that.
Lol

Toro9

Reaction score
Maybe but I doubt it. Romo was a realist when he held that press conference. He didn't want any more controversy.

Qcard

Reaction score
yup

/thread

People who think Romo might have given us a better chance could be right, but it doesn't matter. There's a pretty good chance Romo wouldn't have even made it to that playoff game.

He legitimately could not take a hit anymore.
Theirein lies the dirty little secret.... Romo couldn't take a regular QB hit anymore.

All these Romo History rewriters haven't answered the THEME of the Thread!! WHY DID WITTEN CHOOSE Prescott over Romo?

Hijacking the thread to prove Romo fantasy is very Goalpostesque. The only legit **** Tony had was with Bill Parcells. Neither Tony nor Prescott was winning a Superbowl with Garrett:clap: :lmao: :laugh:

Shocker the Tony Kabal are the notorious Dak Haters!!