Belicheat, Brady claim ignorance; NFL Statement Post #434

Doomsday101

Reaction score
The Peyton penalty was rediculous and it was demonstrated to have not manifested itself in the form in any tangible way as you correctly indicated. The suspension was window dressing to make it appeared that the league cared about player safety. This is similar in that the psi had nothing to do with the outcome of the game because the other team quit at halftime. Neither of these situations had any impact both had the potential to but neither did. Just because Goddell was an idiot one time doesn't mean he should do it again. I was only pointing out the issues at large being unequal player safety outweighs tampered equipment but neither case impacted the game enough to warrant the media scrutiny.

It may have been to much but people are tired of the Pats getting a slap on the wrist. Enough if enough the league needs to come down and hard, this is cheating no matter how people want to spin this.

khiladi

Reaction score
It shows that he pays attention to those details IN PRACTICE. And that's because they're trying to simulate game-time conditions. A lot of teams do that.

But that doesn't mean he pays attention to them during the game.

It shows that he knows the effect it can have on a game and for him to say he's oblivious to it's impact is just absurd.

khiladi

Reaction score
Character is not a hallmark of Bill Belichick. It never has been. He walked out on the Jets after accepting a $1 million bonus to take over for Parcells when Leon Hess was still alive, but reneged after Hess died, and didn't return the money. He was sued by a man in New Jersey for Belichick breaking up his marriage (Belichick had an affair with the man's wife). The obvious cheating issues, or skirting of the rules, seen in the NFL.

I posted this in another thread, but the late George Young, who worked with Belichick with the Giants, said that Bill Belichick was absolutely the worst human being that he had ever encountered in the NFL.

The funny thing is, Belichick is a master strategist, and a very intelligent man. He is a great coach by all accounts. But, for some reason, he has this insatiable need to bend or outright break rules that ultimately matter little to helping his team win. I seriously think that there is a degree of insanity to him.

That's pretty trashy.

I though am not going to say that the breaking of the rules don't ultimately matter in helping his team win. You simply don't invest that much into it unless it provides some advantage.

camelboy

mgcowboy
Reaction score
Does vegas have to refund people who made bets on this game if this is proven? This could be huge if true

:cool:

Staubacher

Reaction score
I'm watching the full replay of Belichick's presser. He is NOT throwing Brady under the bus as many are claiming. He is in fact setting up Brady's defense which we will soon hear later today.

Bellichick does state (rather shrewdly and carefully) that they were in fact deflating their balls, but only to just within the minimum requirements. Then, according to him, the balls must have dropped a little in PSI "during the game", to fall below the minimum required to be legal. He words all of this very carefully but it is clear that this the defense that he is establishing.

Mark my words this will be Tom Brady's defense and his coach set it up for him. "Well yes I (Brady) had the balls deflated because I like them that way, but they were still above the minimum requirement...somehow they dropped below that during the game". Either the weather or the ball boy or some other external, natural factor will be blamed. That is why Belichick said in the future they will inflate the balls higher so as to account for what he claims is natural shrinkage.

khiladi

Reaction score
The comical thing about alleged ignorance is that Brady, the week before, when faced witih the questionable issue of declaring ineligible receivers in such a manner against the Ravens, pretty much said sarcastically, to the effect maybe one should familiarize themselves with the rule book.

Now suddenly, we are going to be hearing about ignorance from certain people within the organization about not knowing the rules..

tyke1doe

Reaction score
It shows that he knows the effect it can have on a game and for him to say he's oblivious to it's impact is just absurd.

Well, playing in the rain does affect a game. But the Patriots and Colts were playing in the same weather. And the Patriots blew the Colts out 45-7, going on to score 28 points in the second half with balls inflated according to NFL standards. So deflated ball = 17 points; Inflated balls = 28 points.

That's why many say it had minimal impact. Notice, they didn't say "no impact" just minimal.

khiladi

Reaction score
And again, the Patriots RAN the ball over 40 times that game, Blount rushing 30 times for over 160+ yards. The Patriots were running the ball the whole first half. The Colts had previously shut down the Broncos passing attack.

It doesn't take a genius to understand the Patriots had a game plan where they wanted to attack the Colts via their rushing attack. Deflating balls allows them better grip in rainy conditions and would obviously assist in preventing fumbles. I hardly doubt this was just related to Brady. It was done by the Patriots to protect the ball.

khiladi

Reaction score
Well, playing in the rain does affect a game. But the Patriots and Colts were playing in the same weather. And the Patriots blew the Colts out 45-7, going on to score 28 points in the second half with balls inflated according to NFL standards. So deflated ball = 17 points; Inflated balls = 28 points.

That's why many say it had minimal impact. Notice, they didn't say "no impact" just minimal.

They still cheated and they took measures to protect the ball to prevent certain issues from happening that could cost them in the end. So we should forgive them because they didn't happen to fumble much?

Arkyvarminter

Reaction score
I really hate the Patriots and it has nothing to do with their success. Brady is a good QB but IMO not a good person. Too full of himself. I hope the Seahawks beat them but I have a feeling the Pats win next Sunday....

erod

Reaction score
I just don't see the weapons in Seattle that will allow them to put up big numbers on the Pats D.

True, but I don't see the receivers for the Patriots to challenge Seattle's incredible secondary. It'll be eight-man fronts all day for Blount.

Staubacher

Reaction score
It's gonna feel weird rooting for Pete Carroll because the other team cheats too much...

Dhragon

Deadly Claws of Death
Reaction score
Sergeant-Shultz-Hogans-Heros-poster-I-Know-Nothing.jpg

Brady has put on a little weight.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Damn Ball Boy, poor kid is going to take the heat while Belicheck and Brady sit back playing stupid