Belicheat, Brady claim ignorance; NFL Statement Post #434

DFWJC

Reaction score
Didn't Brady actually play better with more inflated balls?
Now if they cheated on purpose, then penalize them.
But I don't think the extra psi or 2 made a difference.
Again, NOT saying if they purposefully broke the rules that it is not punishable.

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
the refs HANDLE the balls. The QB has to THROW it. And you cannot get the difference?

Why are you so angry all the time and open yourself up to this? Read! The refs said with the rain levels and all involved it was tough to know the ball levels much less pay attention to them. So you think Brady in the same rain and situations is going to think "this is a cheating ball" while playing if they were ok before? I'm not saying they didn't cheat. I'm just smart enough to see the bs in these conversations. Why did he play better with inflated balls? And if the refs were the only ones until Monday to know that the balls were reinflated why did they play better?

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Who said we were supposed to believe he knows nothing about inflation? The opposite actually.
Not sure what you're talking about.

Brady was playing dumb during his press conference. He was trying to come off as uninterested and uninformed about the whole inflation issue. I was pointing out that his past statements and actions were the exact opposite. He was very interested in the balls and their condition and preparation.

I didn't believe a word he said and I wasn't the only one that felt that way.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Brady was playing dumb during his press conference. He was trying to come off as uninterested and uninformed about the whole inflation issue. I was pointing out that his past statements and actions were the exact opposite. He was very interested in the balls and their condition and preparation.

I didn't believe a word he said and I wasn't the only one that felt that way.

Oh, I get that I'm way in the minority here...and I could easily be wrong...which is fine.
I said that from the start. I do not mind being in the minority on this one....and I sure don't care about the Pats.

I'm just being honest with my gut--which tells me that Brady likes the footballs at the minimum, so it's normal to ask for them to be deflated some if they're higher than that . My gut says he did not order them to be deflated below the legal limit.

I'm a physicist.
Science says the room temperature when the ball is inflated is a huge factor.
A ball inflated to 12.5 psi in a 70 degree room will drop to 11.5 at 40-45 degrees in a couple of hours.
If it's inflated in an 80 degree room, it could drop to 10.5 psi,no problem, in 40-45 degree weather.

Again, if I'm wrong it won't upset me.
But my gut (unlike most everyone else) tells me Brady was not outright lying.

Miller

Reaction score
Oh, I get that I'm way in the minority here...and I could easily be wrong...which is fine.
I said that from the start. I do not mind being in the minority on this one....and I sure don't care about the Pats.

I'm just being honest with my gut--which tells me that Brady likes the footballs at the minimum, so it's normal to ask for them to be deflated some if they're higher than that . My gut says he did not order them to be deflated below the legal limit.

I'm a physicist.
A ball inflated to 12.5 psi in a 70 degree room will drop to 11.5 at 40-45 degrees in a couple of hours.
If it's inflated in an 80 degree room, it could drop to 10.5 psi,no problem, in 40-45 degree weather.

I like your style. I'm neither defending or excusing anything if they cheated but people are taking minute pieces of info and having it for their agenda vs seeing what overall being said. I love how Brunell and others are experts yet Marino and Theisman both said they wouldn't be able to tell if a ball was deflated,

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score

I'm a physicist.

They already said the IND balls did not deflate at all and were exposed to the same conditions over 4 hours. The weather was around 50 degrees at game time so it wasn't severe to start with

Plus all 24 balls, 12 from each team were measured before the game and were within the limits. All of the NE were then found to be around 2 psi lighter at halftime when re-inspected. They were clearly tampered with. The only questions are who did it and who ordered it.

The only logical answer is Brady. It would be like a bat boy corking Derek Jeter's bat without his knowledge or permission. Or adding a wedge to Tiger Woods' bag without asking. These athletes know their equipment and are fanatical about it.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
I like your style. I'm neither defending or excusing anything if they cheated but people are taking minute pieces of info and having it for their agenda vs seeing what overall being said. I love how Brunell and others are experts yet Marino and Theisman both said they wouldn't be able to tell if a ball was deflated,

It's not about being able to tell if they were deflated, they were.

It is about why they were deflated and who ordered it. It wasn't just a rogue ball boy trying to guess what Brady liked.

Miller

Reaction score
It's not about being able to tell if they were deflated, they were.

It is about why they were deflated and who ordered it. It wasn't just a rogue ball boy trying to guess what Brady liked.

Well that is what we have to figure out. This ranges from the refs didn't check the balls to Brady ordered it to the coach ordered it, etc. All parties have stated they did their job and other sources have said each group may be lying now. So I'm not going to jump on a Brunell train when a Marino train goes elsewhere. I'm letting it play out.

DFWJC

Reaction score
They already said the IND balls did not deflate at all and were exposed to the same conditions over 4 hours. The weather was around 50 degrees at game time so it wasn't severe to start with

Plus all 24 balls, 12 from each team were measured before the game and were within the limits. All of the NE were then found to be around 2 psi lighter at halftime when re-inspected. They were clearly tampered with. The only questions are who did it and who ordered it.

The only logical answer is Brady. It would be like a bat boy corking Derek Jeter's bat without his knowledge or permission. Or adding a wedge to Tiger Woods' bag without asking. These athletes know their equipment and are fanatical about it.

No, they did not say the Indy balls did not deflate, they said the Indy balls were still legal.

Also, they did not say they measured the psi of the balls for both teams...which were inflated at different times, at different locations and at different psis by both teams (less, as we know for NE). All that is said is that the refs inspected the balls and approved of them.
No way they took needles and checked air pressure on each one.

Tne fact is that no way a ball inflated in a room at 70-80 degrees would NOT deflate 1-2 psi in a couple of hours in 40-46 degree weather. After that, it would equilibrate and stop deflating.
The New England balls were below standard by 1 to early 2 psi in some cases....but they started already at the minimum.

Maybe there was some sneaky stuff going on,but I'm not hanging Brady without proof that he told so done to purposefully deflate the balls below standard.

skinsscalper

Reaction score
Didn't Brady actually play better with more inflated balls?
Now if they cheated on purpose, then penalize them.
But I don't think the extra psi or 2 made a difference.
Again, NOT saying if they purposefully broke the rules that it is not punishable.

Actually, I think the deflated balls has more to do with the running game than anything. It was about ball control, IMHO. It was already stated that a more deflated ball is easier to handle and harder to fumble. The Pats rolled over 200 yards on the Colts earlier in the year with an unknown RB named Gray. Knowing wha the weather was going to be the Pats knew that with the imminent rains and their past success against the Colts running the ball that the ground game was going to play a major role in the game plan.

Looking at the Pats recent history of NOT fumbling the ball, I put more weight behind this theory than an "easier to throw" ball. The fact that they are astronomically better at avoiding fumbles than the rest of the league tells me that they have been doing this for a very long time and it has very little to do with Brady's preference. I'd be willing to bet that Brady has spent a good amount of time learning to throw a ball that is a little underinflated to assist with the "fumbling issue". This might sound a little more "tin foil hat" if the numbers didn't DRASTICALLY favor the Pats in that particular category. Those stats aren't an anomaly. They are pretty clear evidence of a pattern. I don't believe for a minute that that the Patriots coaching staff is so much vastly superior as every other coach in the league at coaching hanging on to the ball. Just my theory on the whole thing.

DFWJC

Reaction score
If a Patriot RB fumbles, he may, in some cases, get benched for several weeks.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Again I'm not letting them off the hook but here is what bothers me. The refs handle the balls as much as anyone. They test them. Then all of them said there was no way to tell a difference at game time because of the rain, cold and pace of game. So why are we assuming that in the same conditions that Brady, while reading a D, getting a snap and throwing is knowing this? Dan Marino and Theisman said they couldn't tell. Just Devils advocate

Troy Aikman says that there is no way in hell a QB would not know if a ball lost 15% of its air.....................John Madden has also said the same thing..................there is a link to the article in the other Patriot thread on the first page.

So Aikman and Madden pretty much said Brady is lying.

Simba

Reaction score
Just one question. If Beli was let go by the Pats after the SB, would you guys want to hire him?

Simba

Reaction score
You don't like our current janitors?

I actually like your guys staff. Not a huge fan of Garrett. But, he is still a young coach. But what the Cowboys did on D this year, was un *** believable. Marinelli did a hell of a job. And Jason letting him Coach was apart of that.

The Cowboys are back. Tough L against GB for sure, but the Cowboys are back.

rynochop

Reaction score

I'm a physicist.

Then why werent the colts balls effected? And what room at gillette would be 80 degrees??

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
No, they did not say the Indy balls did not deflate, they said the Indy balls were still legal.

Also, they did not say they measured the psi of the balls for both teams...which were inflated at different times, at different locations and at different psis by both teams (less, as we know for NE). All that is said is that the refs inspected the balls and approved of them.
No way they took needles and checked air pressure on each one.

Tne fact is that no way a ball inflated in a room at 70-80 degrees would NOT deflate 1-2 psi in a couple of hours in 40-46 degree weather. After that, it would equilibrate and stop deflating.
The New England balls were below standard by 1 to early 2 psi in some cases....but they started already at the minimum.

Maybe there was some sneaky stuff going on,but I'm not hanging Brady without proof that he told so done to purposefully deflate the balls below standard.

You seem like the one that wants to really on some half-cocked theory as to why only the Patriots footballs were deflated. You don't want to see the obvious, so we'll just leave it alone.