Belicheat, Brady claim ignorance; NFL Statement Post #434

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
Troy Aikman says that there is no way in hell a QB would not know if a ball lost 15% of its air.....................John Madden has also said the same thing..................there is a link to the article in the other Patriot thread on the first page.

So Aikman and Madden pretty much said Brady is lying.

Right and Dan the Man and Theisman both said they couldn't tell. So it's coming down to who people believe.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Again I'm not letting them off the hook but here is what bothers me. The refs handle the balls as much as anyone. They test them. Then all of them said there was no way to tell a difference at game time because of the rain, cold and pace of game. So why are we assuming that in the same conditions that Brady, while reading a D, getting a snap and throwing is knowing this? Dan Marino and Theisman said they couldn't tell. Just Devils advocate

The refs doe not handle the footballs as much as the QB. Not over the course of an entire year or season. Think of all the passes a QB throws in the off season, in OTAs, in training camp, in the pre-season and during the regular season. The refs can't come close to that many touches on the football. They don't develop a feel for the football. QBs do. For refs the football is just a piece of equipment. For the QB the football is a part of them.

Dan Marino and Joe Theisman say they can't tell the difference, but there are several other QBs that say they can. On the lighter side I am going to trust those other QBs. Marino scored a 15 on the Wonderlic and Theisman has always been a dummy. :D

Miller

Reaction score
The refs doe not handle the footballs as much as the QB. Not over the course of an entire year or season. Think of all the passes a QB throws in the off season, in OTAs, in training camp, in the pre-season and during the regular season. The refs can't come close to that many touches on the football. They don't develop a feel for the football. QBs do. For refs the football is just a piece of equipment. For the QB the football is a part of them.

Dan Marino and Joe Theisman say they can't tell the difference, but there are several other QBs that say they can. On the lighter side I am going to trust those other QBs. Marino scored a 15 on the Wonderlic and Theisman has always been a dummy. :D

I'll say it again, I'm not defending anyone in particular, I'm only avoiding a witch hunt and want to see the investigation. The refs were saying with the rain it was hard to tell anything with the balls. Since the NFL has already interviewed 40 people and has a forensics team looking at video/audio, I'll wait before believing a select few and yelling "crucify him."

joseephuss

Reaction score
Oh, I get that I'm way in the minority here...and I could easily be wrong...which is fine.
I said that from the start. I do not mind being in the minority on this one....and I sure don't care about the Pats.

I'm just being honest with my gut--which tells me that Brady likes the footballs at the minimum, so it's normal to ask for them to be deflated some if they're higher than that . My gut says he did not order them to be deflated below the legal limit.

I'm a physicist.
Science says the room temperature when the ball is inflated is a huge factor.
A ball inflated to 12.5 psi in a 70 degree room will drop to 11.5 at 40-45 degrees in a couple of hours.
If it's inflated in an 80 degree room, it could drop to 10.5 psi,no problem, in 40-45 degree weather.

Again, if I'm wrong it won't upset me.
But my gut (unlike most everyone else) tells me Brady was not outright lying.

The footballs were inflated again at halftime and managed to not deflate to below the minimum requirement by the end of the game when they were checked again.

I have doubts that the room temp was 80 degrees when the football were initially inflated. Now let's assume it was and that the Colts footballs were inflated to the maximum allowable pressure of 13.5 psi. They too would drop the same 2 psi and fall below the required minimum pressure of 12.5 psi; however, this did not happen as all the Colts footballs were still within the required pressure limits. It is quite an assumption that all the Patriots footballs would be at the bare minimum pressure of 12.5 psi and all the Colts footballs would be at the absolute maximum pressure of 13.5 psi at the beginning of the game.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Air was added back at or near field temp....so no change (or minimal change) would be expected in the 2nd half.
Also Indy balls and NE balls were handled by their separate staffs...diff room temps and diff psi.

I'm not saying Brady did not order someone to cheat, just that it may not be as cut and dry as some think.

ErikWilliamsHeadSlap

Reaction score

Omaybe they did the same thing and dont want tarnished with the same brush.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
This is not about ball weight. A ball at 12.5 psi and one even at 15 psi weight almost exactly the same.
The 12.5 is air pressure.
Can't imagine playing with a 12 LB football. You'd have be superman

It was a joke because someone posted about the ball and weighing 12-13 pounds in the hand... Then someone mentioned throwing a ball weighing that much...... Still lmao about that...

DFWJC

Reaction score
It was a joke because someone posted about the ball and weighing 12-13 pounds in the hand... Then someone mentioned throwing a ball weighing that much...... Still lmao about that...

Sorry, red, I tried to delete my post but you were too fast

I should get coffee and play with kids...maybe read the paper...lol

joseephuss

Reaction score
So there is a theory that hypothetically the Pats could have inflated the footballs in a warm sauna knowing that the change in temperature would also change the pressure in the footballs. Let's assume the Pats were smart enough, creative enough and thorough enough to do something like this. Is it still considered cheating? I would still say yes. The rules say you can't tamper with the footballs. Using scientific knowledge to accomplish a change in the pressure of the football would still be manipulating the footballs. Manipulate = tamper.

Deep_South

Reaction score
Right now, there is simply zero evidence that Brady or Belichick had anything to do with letting air out of footballs. None. If this were a criminal case it couldn't even get to a grand jury, IMO. So, we wait...

joseephuss

Reaction score
Right now, there is simply zero evidence that Brady or Belichick had anything to do with letting air out of footballs. None. If this were a criminal case it couldn't even get to a grand jury, IMO. So, we wait...

We most definitely wait; however, the head coach is responsible for what the team does. This eventually falls on Belichick whether he has actual knowledge of what transpired or not.

I'm in the boat that says in the grand scheme of things this particular offense is not all that big. It is cheating and should be addressed, but it is pretty minor in my opinion. I also don't think the NFL will do much other than fine them and at tops it won't be more than $1 million. I could easily be wrong.

burmafrd

Reaction score

yeah sure. Someone on the staff did this without a control freak like BB authorizing it.. You have any idea how much of a pats apologist you sound like. And who said anything about criminal court (and OJ shows how reliable THAT is)

burmafrd

Reaction score
I'll say it again, I'm not defending anyone in particular, I'm only avoiding a witch hunt and want to see the investigation. The refs were saying with the rain it was hard to tell anything with the balls. Since the NFL has already interviewed 40 people and has a forensics team looking at video/audio, I'll wait before believing a select few and yelling "crucify him."
cheating enabler is what you sound like

Miller

Reaction score
cheating enabler is what you sound like

Far from it. I am just letting the investigation play out and then making an informed decision. But I see name calling makes some people feel better about themselves

Deep_South

Reaction score
yeah sure. Someone on the staff did this without a control freak like BB authorizing it.. You have any idea how much of a pats apologist you sound like. And who said anything about criminal court (and OJ shows how reliable THAT is)

I'm not a Pats apologist; I just follow the evidence. I sense from going through these threads that people who solve problems for a living have a different take on this than some others do, because it is hard to keep your job if you jump to conclusions and make wrong decisions. With regard to Belichick being responsible, surely you don't think Jason Garrett is responsible for Josh Brent's car crash?

ActualCowboysFan

Reaction score
I'm not a Pats apologist; I just follow the evidence. I sense from going through these threads that people who solve problems for a living have a different take on this than some others do, because it is hard to keep your job if you jump to conclusions and make wrong decisions. With regard to Belichick being responsible, surely you don't think Jason Garrett is responsible for Josh Brent's car crash?

Where in the thread are the job titles?

Rogah

Reaction score
Brady went to the league in 2006 and demanded that visiting teams be allowed to provide their own balls.
Brady was hardly the only QB on that bandwagon. Peyton Manning did the exact same thing.

Have you ever actually seen Eli Manning's routine for prepping game balls? The guy literally starts months in advance. It's a fascinating article.