Big 12 Football 2013 Season Thread

Aikbach

Reaction score
OU really missed Corey Nelson, their D was not the same, especially after coming in so highly touted for a return to early 2000s form under Mike Stoops.

Big 12 play is in full swing, week to week surprises likely lie ahead. In a span of three weeks we've seen the conference favorite change from OSU to OU to Baylor, and it could change yet again.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
It will be interesting for the Big 12. Baylor and Tech have the right schedule to make a run at top tier games.

I want to see Tech versus Johnny Football in the Cotton Bowl.

Corey Nelson was OU's best defender. Will be interesting to see how they rebound.

UT played up their talent level for once this season. We'll see if they are turning it on or just had a come to jesus moment for Mack.

jimmy40

Reaction score
OU really missed Corey Nelson, their D was not the same, especially after coming in so highly touted for a return to early 2000s form under Mike Stoops.

Big 12 play is in full swing, week to week surprises likely lie ahead. In a span of three weeks we've seen the conference favorite change from OSU to OU to Baylor, and it could change yet again.

they also missed their nose tackle but UT's tailbacks were doing a good job of making someone miss in the hole.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
they also missed their nose tackle but UT's tailbacks were doing a good job of making someone miss in the hole.

The UT tailback situation is a case of over-recruiting.
Any team in the country would feature Gray or Malcom.
Was a bad deal to have them both on campus at once.
Especially with the peripheral guys around them being plenty good anyways.

You don't wanna rotate in high 4 star/5 star guys.
This was really the first game where they played up their skill level.

I think UT does a lot of that over-saturation. You have to pick a guy and ride him.
UT tries to play 50 guys because they were all high recruits. Waters down the performances early in the season.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
It will be interesting for the Big 12. Baylor and Tech have the right schedule to make a run at top tier games.

I want to see Tech versus Johnny Football in the Cotton Bowl.

Corey Nelson was OU's best defender. Will be interesting to see how they rebound.

UT played up their talent level for once this season. We'll see if they are turning it on or just had a come to jesus moment for Mack.

I agree, it will be interesting. I've said for two seasons now that Texas simply needed to go to their ground game and lean on that to help both Offense and Defense. They did that against OU.

A. Let's see if they continue to do that.

B. Let's see if they can continue to be succesful running the ball like that.

OU is light up front and that's always been the knock on them IMO. Not all teams will have that problem. Tech, OkieSt and TCU are all pretty good against the run and they are all still ahead for Texas.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I agree, it will be interesting. I've said for two seasons now that Texas simply needed to go to their ground game and lean on that to help both Offense and Defense. They did that against OU.

A. Let's see if they continue to do that.

B. Let's see if they can continue to be succesful running the ball like that.

OU is light up front and that's always been the knock on them IMO. Not all teams will have that problem. Tech, OkieSt and TCU are all pretty good against the run and they are all still ahead for Texas.

As a Tech fan I hate that we always play UT late in seasons.
They are always aligned and playing well by the time we face them after terrible starts where they play 50 guys and seem clueless.

This Tech team plays really good defense. Not sure how they've improved so dramatically but they are definitely a top 3 Big 12 defense right now.

It would shock me exactly zero is UT ended up a top 20 team and beat someone pretty good by 20 in a bowl game.
That's been the MO for a few years now under Mack. The team finishes better than it starts.

TheCoolFan

Reaction score
Texas Tech getting exposed by WVU. Oklahoma State benched JW Walsh...the Big XII is just not very good this year. Would be a huge failure if Texas doesn't take advantage, this is one of the easier years. The showdown against Baylor at the end of the year is the only real threat.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Texas Tech getting exposed by WVU. Oklahoma State benched JW Walsh...the Big XII is just not very good this year. Would be a huge failure if Texas doesn't take advantage, this is one of the easier years. The showdown against Baylor at the end of the year is the only real threat.

Try watching the actual games and not just the scores.
Tech was hardly exposed and Chelf coming in makes it no easier for UT to win anything.

UT plays the other 2 undefeated (in conference) Big 12 teams last.

The largest reason the Big 12 is considered down is because UT crapped the bed in non-conf play.
They deserve to win exactly nothing but could still finish nicely and make a solid bowl game.

jimmy40

Reaction score
UT's offensive line still sucks and that will cost them several more times this year, there is not one Olineman on the team that has any interest whatsoever of getting to the second level to block anyone, if they even remotely get their man blocked(or not) they immediately quit on the play. OU didn't show up, got slapped and quit. The TCU game will be very interesting for UT.

Aikbach

Reaction score
First BCS tonight should see the Big 12 set up nicely with 4 to 5 ranked teams.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
UT's offensive line still sucks and that will cost them several more times this year, there is not one Olineman on the team that has any interest whatsoever of getting to the second level to block anyone, if they even remotely get their man blocked(or not) they immediately quit on the play. OU didn't show up, got slapped and quit. The TCU game will be very interesting for UT.

TCU can't score 10 point so that won't get interesting unless the druggie is back at QB for the Frogs.

But the rest of the schedule should be intriguing.

Aikbach

Reaction score
TCU can't score 10 point so that won't get interesting unless the druggie is back at QB for the Frogs.

But the rest of the schedule should be intriguing.

I really dislike the computers ever since they screwed Colorado out of a national title bid a decade ago...and i have no love for Colorado, just thought they were robbed.

And I do think the computers have botched the ranking again here at midseason, luckily time for correction, Oregon and FSU are clear 1 and 2 in my mind so far. And Baylor ain't no 8.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I really dislike the computers ever since they screwed Colorado out of a national title bid a decade ago...and i have no love for Colorado, just thought they were robbed.

And I do think the computers have botched the ranking again here at midseason, luckily time for correction, Oregon and FSU are clear 1 and 2 in my mind so far. And Baylor ain't no 8.

Doesn't matter TBH.
Now that the SEC has imploded to fall back to reality the BCS will shake out pretty accurately as the season wears on.
Early season NCAAF rankings are the most annoying factor in sports.

Baylor will rise quite a bit if they keep winning because the schedule gives them meaningful games.
Same as Tech. If either get through the Big 12 undefeated they'll be playing the biggest bowl game of either program's existence.
If UT squirts through the 2 losses will kill them so that's a worse case scenario for the Big 12.

Bama deserves #1 but their largest challenge will be the SEC Champ Game.
If they get through that they'll have earned this top spot.

What they won't have done is earned a right to lose 1 but still make the NCG. That is and always has been a terrible issue.

Soon enough the playoff will make matters much less silly.

TheCoolFan

Reaction score
Chalk day in the Big XII. Only "upset" was OU beating Tech but many were expecting it anyway

Aikbach

Reaction score
One Big 12 team remaining undefeated to carry the banner of honor for a shot at bringing the conference a national title.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score

Wasn't nearly as interesting as everybody thought. Texas pretty much dominated TCU. I was kinda surprised to be honest.

Aikbach

Reaction score
Wasn't nearly as interesting as everybody thought. Texas pretty much dominated TCU. I was kinda surprised to be honest.

TCU injuries and demoralization has made them a dud thus far this year. UT seems to have gotten out of a similar state of demoralization, so TCU could finish strong if they too find a passion and a scheme.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
One Big 12 team remaining undefeated to carry the banner of honor for a shot at bringing the conference a national title.
TCU injuries and demoralization has made them a dud thus far this year. UT seems to have gotten out of a similar state of demoralization, so TCU could finish strong if they too find a passion and a scheme.

I think that for Texas, it's more about getting back to basics and just letting players play. They are still not what I would call a great tackling team but they are much better then they have been in the past few seasons and even earlier this year. Offensively, they have went back to something they can hang there hat on as well. They are running the ball. They aren't asking Case to make all kinds of big plays all over the field. They have the talent to play this kind of game and if you can put that together with solid STs, then you have something. If they had a better QB, this entire conference would be playing for 2nd place IMO but that's a what if thing.

We'll see what happens the rest of the way. Waiting for TT and Baylor now.