Boys bully a 68 year old bus monitor

AbeBeta

Reaction score
ethiostar;4601133 said:
Do you know of any pre/post studies on juvenile and domestic violence rates of countries that have banned corporal punishment? And maybe a comparative study of those countries and others in which corporal punishment is still legal?

I don't -- but that sort of question is really loaded and fraught with so many alternative explanations that it would make any result in either direction questionable. You are far more likely to find questions like this addressed on an individual rather than cultural level as cultural-level studies are pretty much impossible to control.

There is, however, considerable cross cultural work on exposure to violence via other sources (e.g., video games) that shows pretty universal effects of exposure to violence on aggressive tendencies.

Kingsmith88

Benched
Reaction score
Doomsday101;4601147 said:
It teaches kids they can do what ever the hell they want and no one will do a damn thing. Violence in the schools was nothing like it is today there was an actual respect kids showed teachers now days they show none. I'm sure the people who did the study were non bias in their views because from what I see today compared to what it was is a big differance. Kids talking to adults like they are their peers? they are not, kids have not lived a long enough life to tell adults how things will be kids have a lot to learn and if they open the ears and shut the mouth they just might learn things that people before them already found out.

Bad parenting is the key. Have expectations for your kids, make them be responsible. If my kids do something wrong they are held accountable. They need boundaries, they need discipline. Beating isn't the only form.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Doomsday101;4601147 said:
It teaches kids they can do what ever the hell they want and no one will do a damn thing. Violence in the schools was nothing like it is today there was an actual respect kids showed teachers now days they show none. I'm sure the people who did the study were non bias in their views because from what I see today compared to what it was is a big differance. Kids talking to adults like they are their peers? they are not, kids have not lived a long enough life to tell adults how things will be kids have a lot to learn and if they open the ears and shut the mouth they just might learn things that people before them already found out.

It teaches the kids that the adults around them are too stupid to be able to keep them in line without using violence.

There are many ways to punish and earn respect that do not involve violence. It turns my stomach to believe that there are folks on this board who actually think it is right for an adult to use violence on a child.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Kingsmith88;4601163 said:
Bad parenting is the key. Have expectations for your kids, make them be responsible. If my kids do something wrong they are held accountable. They need boundaries, they need discipline. Beating isn't the only form.

1st off no is talking about beating, spanking a child is not beating them.

I also agree giving a child a spanking for any and everything they do wrong is not something I would agree with but the notion a parent should never spank a child I disagree with there are times when that little bit of an attention gets helps them understand.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
AbeBeta;4601165 said:
It teaches the kids that the adults around them are too stupid to be able to keep them in line without using violence.

There are many ways to punish and earn respect that do not involve violence. It turns my stomach to believe that there are folks on this board who actually think it is right for an adult to use violence on a child.

Yeah, right. Turns my stomach watching parents who can't control their own kids and the kids take full advantage of them and any blind man. Listing to the mother who has to tell her kid to stop 100 times and yet continue on as if the parent is not even there. Acting like a spanking is some brutal violence give me a break. I had my share growing up but frankly very few since I learned quick not to cross certain boundaries

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Doomsday101;4601179 said:
Yeah, right. Turns my stomach watching parents who can't control their own kids and the kids take full advantage of them and any blind man. Listing to the mother who has to tell her kid to stop 100 times and yet continue on as if the parent is not even there. Acting like a spanking is some brutal violence give me a break. I had my share growing up but frankly very few since I learned quick not to cross certain boundaries

If you need to spank you are the problem. Not the child. Lacking effective parenting skills that don't involve violence is a real problem. You talk a bunch about bad parents -- but, to me, if you have to spank or hit to get your message across then you are just as guilty of bad parenting.

03EBZ06

Need2Speed
Reaction score
I'm certainly not advocating corporate punishment and I could only go by what my experiences were with my own three kids.

Yes, I did spanked them when there were a very young child. All three had exactly two spankings each, three swats to their buttocks each time, and that's all it took and they never misbehaved in home and out in public. All three were honer students throughout the secondary schools to college, my youngest in HS currently. With the spankings, I made sure they understood what they did wrong and why they are receiving the punishment. I'm not bragging but my kids are great, they are responsible, comes home in a timely manner, rarely ever talked back to us. I love to them dearly but I wasn't going to tolerate misbehavior from them.

I really don't care if some one say you shouldn't spank your kids, what matter is my method worked and I still have great kids, who loves their parents.

Kingsmith88

Benched
Reaction score
Doomsday101;4601170 said:

I also agree giving a child a spanking for any and everything they do wrong is not something I would agree with but the notion a parent should never spank a child I disagree with there are times when that little bit of an attention gets helps them understand.
:lmao2: Yeah because that is all I said.
Smack your kids if you want.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
AbeBeta;4601184 said:
If you need to spank you are the problem. Not the child. Lacking effective parenting skills that don't involve violence is a real problem. You talk a bunch about bad parents -- but, to me, if you have to spank or hit to get your message across then you are just as guilty of bad parenting.

That is your view but I watch parents looking like idiots as the kid throws a temper tantrum or refuses to do as told and the Parent stand there clueless or trying to reason as the kid mouths off to them as if they are equal they are kids not adults. Instead of trying to be the kid’s friend grow a pair and be a parent. Spanking a child is not going to make them violent that is a load BS.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Kingsmith88;4601191 said:
:lmao2: Yeah because that is all I said.
Smack your kids if you want.

Again spanking a child and beating them is not the same, if you can't tell the differance maybe it is your problem but watching adults sit there begging their child to behave while the kid pay no attention at all and continue the bad behavior is a complete joke and a total lack of control that parent has over their own child

JBond

Reaction score
Doomsday101;4601170 said:

I'm calling protective services...:p:

I agree there are times you need to have their complete and undivided attention. An occasional spanking is not nearly as evil as some make it out to be. My son has grown into a high quality young man that never resorts to violence. Wow..time sure flies...My son is sixteen now. I first started posting with my fellow Cowboy fans around the time he was born.

To be clear...

Beatings with fists a belt or switch = bad

Occasional slap on the butt = ok

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
My mother hit me with a wooden spoon so hard when I was a kid she broke it....and look at me, I am 50% normal.

:)

JBond

Reaction score
AbeBeta;4601121 said:
Do you have access to databases like PsychInfo? Most comprehensive work is scholarly and you'll not be able to access that for free.

For free access work, you might start with the American Psychological Association's Violence Prevention web site for some good summaries on the effects of exposure to violence on children. There are literally 1000s of studies examining effects of exposure to violence in many forms (experiencing physical violence, playing violent video games).

Actually I am back in school after a twenty year break and do have access to some of the resources you mentioned through my college library.

I have not seen a definitive study that proves the occasional spanking reduces juvenile or domestic violence. If you have a name of a particular study, I would be interested in going through it.

After years of reading different studies on a variety of topics, I have found that researchers typically find the conclusion they want to find or are being paid to find. I have some experience in PR and can create a study that will say anything I want it to and I can find scientists and behaviorists to back it.

CowboyMcCoy

Business is a Boomin
Reaction score
Yawn. Who cares? The lady doesn't deserve 500k, which is almost how much she has today.

a_minimalist

Reaction score
Doomsday101;4601199 said:
Again spanking a child and beating them is not the same, if you can't tell the differance maybe it is your problem but watching adults sit there begging their child to behave while the kid pay no attention at all and continue the bad behavior is a complete joke and a total lack of control that parent has over their own child

Essentially what you are saying is that you should smack your child because he is embarrassing you. That's the problem with most public "spankings." Most parents smack their kids because they realize someone might be looking at them and they get embarrassed and want their child to stop. They are also afraid they look stupid when they try to reason with their child and they don't listen immediately. I have seen parents talk to their children when they are misbehaving and they eventually do listen after they understand what they are doing is wrong. No spanking was involved either.

That being said when I was a kid I decided I wanted to be cool and talk back to my father in front of my friends. He then grabbed me by the throat and slammed me against the wall. I didn't talk back to him again after that. That was one of two times he ever hit me. The other time was a real hard slap on me ole arse for saying "oh my God." I come from a pretty religious family and using the Lords name in vain wasn't allowed. Saying "oh my God" continued but talking back did not. :D

I think it is all circumstantial. I'll try my best to never hit my kid and just discuss things with them. We will see what happens :whip:

vta

The Proletariat
Reaction score
AbeBeta;4601165 said:

AbeBeta;4601184 said:

All of this might read well on paper, but it doesn't take into account the different natures of children and their own psychological make-up. Different kid's need different approaches and a one-size-fits-all has no place in the real world.

The nuances of why some things are prohibited are lost on a brain of lesser experience and the simple reminder of how much being spanked hurt is sufficient in some cases. Violence is too broad a word that is associated with anything ranging from rape to out right murder. Using it to describe punishing a child is extreme.

Some people are spanked and are all the better for it and some didn't need to be. My mom handled her 3 kid's as different as our personalities allowed her to, as it should be. We were 3 different people.

ethiostar

Reaction score
ethiostar;4601133 said:
Do you know of any pre/post studies on juvenile and domestic violence rates of countries that have banned corporal punishment? And maybe a comparative study of those countries and others in which corporal punishment is still legal?

If you can give me some references I would appreciate it.

AbeBeta;4601151 said:
I don't -- but that sort of question is really loaded and fraught with so many alternative explanations that it would make any result in either direction questionable. You are far more likely to find questions like this addressed on an individual rather than cultural level as cultural-level studies are pretty much impossible to control.

There is, however, considerable cross cultural work on exposure to violence via other sources (e.g., video games) that shows pretty universal effects of exposure to violence on aggressive tendencies.

Fair enough but a pre/post study in the same country shouldn't have the same issue.

JBond

Reaction score
a_minimalist;4601215 said:
Essentially what you are saying is that you should smack your child because he is embarrassing you. That's the problem with most public "spankings." Most parents smack their kids because they realize someone might be looking at them and they get embarrassed and want their child to stop. They are also afraid they look stupid when they try to reason with their child and they don't listen immediately. I have seen parents talk to their children when they are misbehaving and they eventually do listen after they understand what they are doing is wrong.

Just curious... how many kids do you have and how old are they?

JBond

Reaction score
CowboyMcCoy;4601214 said:
Yawn. Who cares? The lady doesn't deserve 500k, which is almost how much she has today.

Don't worry...She will have to spread the wealth.

a_minimalist

Reaction score
JBond;4601226 said:
Just curious... how many kids do you have and how old are they?

0 and 0. I did add more to my previous post though which you might want to read.