News: BR: NFL Exec: 'Hard to Pay' Dak Prescott Big Contract After Cowboys' Loss to Purdy, 49ers

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
What's funny to me is seeing fans gloat and pointing the finger as if OTHER FANS can do something about Dak as QB. The front office is your fight, that's where the fight is so stop pointing fingers at fans. Does Jerry have a good track record with finding the right QB? No... He got lucky with Aikman and Jimmy simultaneously, and it's been hell ever since.

CowboyinMD

Reaction score
It’s like an NBA team that is constantly a 7-8 seed.

Not good enough to win a championship.

But plays well enough that it takes them out of the draft lottery and reduces their ability to get additional high end talent.
Exactly.

The problem is the Jones boys, or heck even a handful of Cowboys fans, don't want to go though the 'pain' of gutting the roster and suffering a few 4-13/5-12 type seasons. Like Minnesota, let's be happy to 'contend', 10-7 or 9-8, heck maybe even 11-12 wins some years. Fills the stadium, keeps Dallas "in the conversation" right up to the start of the postseason in January. EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW THAT THE CEILING OF THIS TEAM, WHETHER 9 WINS OR 12, IS A DIVISIONAL ROUND LOSS.

That's it. That's the ceiling. So why not scrap plan A, move on from your losses, take the lumps for a season or 2, then have the young nucleus for the next run? So what if we're not relevant for a little while. I actually kinda liked the anonymity of the '88-89 and 2000-2002 seasons before the rebuilds. Got to see a lot of 1 pm games that weren't switched to prime time. I actually think this franchise needs to be out of the limelight for a period of time while they re-tool. Sign me up. What's the difference between 3-4 winds and 9-11 if the end result is NOT getting into the conference championship game?

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
He already gave him a huge contract and it was a mistake then.
this was all Stephen and Jerry's fault. prior to tagging him, they had a chance to sign him to a reasonable contract for 4,5 years. instead, they played hardball over a 1M or so per year. then they had no other options after the year and had to tag him. stupid idiots. if you are going to play hardball, better have a back up plan, of which we didn't. so in one franchise tag, they paid the difference they were trying to save over life of a contract. then they still didn't have a back up plan, and were forced to hand him a large contract.

stephen and Jerry are idiots

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Exactly.

The problem is the Jones boys, or heck even a handful of Cowboys fans, don't want to go though the 'pain' of gutting the roster and suffering a few 4-13/5-12 type seasons. Like Minnesota, let's be happy to 'contend', 10-7 or 9-8, heck maybe even 11-12 wins some years. Fills the stadium, keeps Dallas "in the conversation" right up to the start of the postseason in January. EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW THAT THE CEILING OF THIS TEAM, WHETHER 9 WINS OR 12, IS A DIVISIONAL ROUND LOSS.
Unfortunately, that creates the illusion of being "close" no matter how many times they hit that brick wall. They convince themselves a tweak here and there will get them over the hump. This offseason it was Gilmore, Cooks, and letting Kellen Moore walk.

The offense looks worse than it has in years. Cooks has had 1000 seasons no matter where he goes - even on a bad Texans team - and they can't even get him the ball.

BoyzBlaster

Reaction score
Dak never should have gotten the contract he has now. Dak was never worth $40 million. Remember, in 2019 the Cowboys faced the Eagles for the division lead, and probably the division championship. Dak had an awful game throwing inaccurate passes missing open receivers. The Cowboys scored only 9 points and lost to the Eagles 17-9. The Eagles QB was Carson Wentz. To me, that game was a sign to Jerry, do not pay Dak a big contract. And back then we thought $35 million was a big contract. After Dak got hurt in 2020 missing 11 games or so, Jerry gave Dak $40 million, a no trade clause and a no franchise tag clause when he current contract expires. And, he allowed Dak to make the contract a 4 year deal basically screwing the Cowboys CAP situation.

When Dak is negotiating his new contract we all know he is going to want even more money. But Jerry has no choice but to sign him or let him go via free agency, but he cannot get any compensation for him, other than a 3rd round comp pick. Now, after this game, which is another reminder that Dak is not the guy to win big games, Jerry is behind the 8 ball, but he put himself there.
That was such a pivotal game and was the moment I thought he wasn't going to be the guy. If you recall Wentz was throwing to guys who were one step away from being UPS drivers because they were so banged up. He didn't really play that well but he made the one critical throw he had to make in crunch time. Dak had the same chance at the end and he completely blew it. That was such a big warning sign that he couldn't handle pressure.

Staubacher

Reaction score
As ugly as that loss was, it truly is the beginning of the end for #4. Which is a positive for the organization

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I would move to Lance RIGHT NOW.

Anyone thinking Dak isn’t going to do what he did last night in the playoffs again is a fool.

We need a mobile QB. Lance needs to play football.

Let’s get this going and see what happens. The Dak ending will be a show we’ve already seen.

Robster8989

Reaction score
100%

Were on year 8 and more than 100 games (plus postseason games).

We know who Dak is.

There is no next level for him. This is who he is.

Dak is squarely somewhere between Kirk Cousins and Derek Carr tier QB, which is actually a bad place for a franchise. They are just good enough that you invest resources, time, and effort into building the franchise around them. The Raiders only just realized Carr wasn’t the guy that was going to lead them to the promise land.
Yep.
I'd even add that Dak is looking less and less mobile as he ages.
Early on he could run. Not that he was ever Hurts but he could run well in some situations.
He's looking slower and older now, and less and less mobile.
He still moves a bit, but a huge difference in him in the last few years, and that trend likely continues.
Collapse the pocket on him (like the Niners did regularly), and he has major problems.
Giving him a new deal at 45-50 would be a huge mistake.

Robster8989

Reaction score
I would move to Lance RIGHT NOW.

Anyone thinking Dak isn’t going to do what he did last night in the playoffs again is a fool.

We need a mobile QB. Lance needs to play football.

Let’s get this going and see what happens. The Dak ending will be a show we’ve already seen.
It would be wise to get a look at him and see if there is anything there.
We're not winning anything with 4.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Hate that I have to say it but after last night I am done defending dak...maybe last night was good for the long run for this team
I was kinda on the fence with Dak
But he knocked me off hard last night.
He is not worth near his contract.
He has gotta go end of season.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Um, you do know that this Dak contract is going to cripple this team in the next few years, unless they extend him which would be a stupid move because we are never going to win anything with Dak as QB.
Think they can make him a post June cut and spread his cap hit over this and next season.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Think Philadelphia 76ers.

They were stuck being just OK. Sliding into the playoffs some years as a back end playoff team and then getting smoked in the postseason. So they decided to blow the whole thing up. Now granted, they went extreme and purposely put the shittiest team one could think of on the floor to get high picks.

It's not the model I think Dallas should follow. It's the thinking. Realize that this team is a back end of the playoffs, at best, team. It is not beating Philly or San Fran come postseason. So why keep being just "good", at best, with what we are putting on the field? Blow it up, at least offensively, and start over.
Jerry wants to stay relevant , that's why.