Breaking down the College Football Playoffs

hairic

Reaction score
Going with my original prediction. Big 12 is out. OSU #4. Baylor #5, TCU #6 to preserve the sanctity of the value of the H2H for those calling for it, while also rewarding conference champions/penalizing no conference championship, and getting the biggest college programs in this playoffs for the most viewership. Win/win for the committee for engineering the future they prefer for the most money.

viman96

Thread Killer
Reaction score
I think this will be the top 4

1. Alabama
2. Oregon
3. Florida State
4. Ohio State

Alabama vs Ohio State
Oregon vs Florida State

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
man what the heck do you do with FSU....
undefeated for 2 years.
ACC champs 2 years in a row but margins of victory that leave zero room for error. 5,4,3,2....

does winning by 2 over 11 move you down below a team that won by 50 over 13?

good grief this committee is gonna get it no matter which way they go.

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
Going with my original prediction. Big 12 is out. OSU #4. Baylor #5, TCU #6 to preserve the sanctity of the value of the H2H for those calling for it, while also rewarding conference champions/penalizing no conference championship, and getting the biggest college programs in this playoffs for the most viewership. Win/win for the committee for engineering the future they prefer for the most money.

You might be right. To be honest, I hope it does fall the way you predicted. Two good things can come out of it:

1. They might consider expanding the playoffs even more in the future since 6 teams have a legitimate shot this year.
2. The Big 12 is gonna scramble to get 2 more teams so they can be eligible for a conference championship.

jimmy40

Reaction score
committee has it made in the shade thanks to OSU. TCU/Baylor debate? Done, your both out, suck it Big 12

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I think....
1. Bama
2. Oregon
3. TCU
4. FSU

Ultimately the teams all held serve this weekend thus no change for the committee IMHO.

DFWJC

Reaction score
I'm not kidding here folks, it will not surprise me at all if the Big 12 has nobody in the final 4

reddyuta

Reaction score
OSU lost to Virginia tech,you cannot look past that .Baylor beat TCu,you cannot look past that either.

my top 4

Alabama

Oregon

FSU

Baylor.

If they CFP committee is choosing the "best" 4 teams right now then thy will pick OSU and big 12 will be screwed.

jimmy40

Reaction score

TCU 5th Baylor 6th just to screw with everyone

DFWJC

Reaction score
man what the heck do you do with FSU....
undefeated for 2 years.
ACC champs 2 years in a row but margins of victory that leave zero room for error. 5,4,3,2....

does winning by 2 over 11 move you down below a team that won by 50 over 13?

good grief this committee is gonna get it no matter which way they go.

Yeah.
There is no debate with them.
They're the only team in the country that played 12 power conference games, they're the only team that is undefeated, they are defending champs who have not lost in more than two years.
They also beat 3 teams that'll be ranked in the final poll.
They are in.

In the end polls, TCU will have beaten one ranked team and Baylor two...it's between them and Ohio State.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
OSU lost to Virginia tech,you cannot look past that .Baylor beat TCu,you cannot look past that either.

my top 4

Alabama

Oregon

FSU

Baylor.

If they CFP committee is choosing the "best" 4 teams right now then thy will pick OSU and big 12 will be screwed.

if they are choosing the best 4 right now, FSU won't be in.
they've won by 4,3,5,2 the last 4 games and only one of those opponents was ranked and only one of those games was a road game.

overall resume tho it is hard to ignore undefeated.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Yeah.
There is no debate with them.
They're the only team in the country that played 12 power conference games, they're the only team that is undefeated, they are defending champs who have not lost in more than two years.
They also beat 3 teams that'll be ranked in the final poll.
They are in.

In the end polls, TCU will have beaten one ranked team and Baylor two...it's between them and Ohio State.

i guess we'll see.

DFWJC

Reaction score
i guess we'll see.

I know this; if both very good Big 12 co-champs get left out, there will be a huge push for 8 teams ASAP.
If that doesn't happen, then the big 12 may move hard to add two teams.
No extra game vs a top 10 team for the conf title is a handicap (or easier in outsiders' view) unless you run the table.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Baylor beat em all but WVA so really good wins over KST and OU and TCU. Tough deal....

This needs to be 8 teams.

That win over OU doesn't look so good after today for either Baylor or TCU.

I predict Alabama, Oregon, FSU and OSU make the playoffs.

viman96

Thread Killer
Reaction score
Big 12 needs 12 teams so they can have a conference championship game like the 4 other power conferences. If they do not get two other teams to join then they will continue to handicap themselves. They have known this would happen as well so not sure why they have not already done so.

reddyuta

Reaction score
if they are choosing the best 4 right now, FSU won't be in.
they've won by 4,3,5,2 the last 4 games and only one of those opponents was ranked and only one of those games was a road game.

overall resume tho it is hard to ignore undefeated.

the committee doesnt like FSU at all.they would drop them if they could.

DFWJC

Reaction score
I do t know about Baylor, but TCU is playing well enough to give anyone a run for their money.

A couple of very good teams are getting left out.
Well know tomorrow which one they are.

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
Big 12 needs 12 teams so they can have a conference championship game like the 4 other power conferences. If they do not get two other teams to joins then they will continue to handicap themselves. They have known this would happen as well so not sure why they have not already done so.

I remember Texas and Oklahoma (back when they both owned the conference) saying they'd have a better chance at the making the National Championship without a conference championship. With TCU and Baylor, two schools without the history of Texas and Oklahoma, that seems to not be the case.

DFWJC

Reaction score
I remember Texas and Oklahoma (back when they both owned the conference) saying they'd have a better chance at the making the National Championship without a conference championship. With TCU and Baylor, two schools without the history of Texas and Oklahoma, that seems to not be the case.

Well, they knew there was always that risk of losing that extra tough game. The difference is that now all other conferences have one. And everyone e knows it's tougher and gives due credit.