Video: Broaddus not happy with Kellen Moore/offense

starfan1

Reaction score
I don't think he's "terrible." In face I think he's pretty good.. He just has several glaring weaknesses that will always doom the Cowboys if he doesn't get them corrected.

1) He hates running the ball.. He has admitted that as a former QB he would prefer to throw it every down. You see that in his play calling. He said it himself, "yards are yards." He's 100% wrong about that.

2) He has a penchant for getting cute at inopportune times. The end arounds in the red zone need to be removed from the playbook.

3) He lacks overall feel for the game. His play calls against certain looks and down and distances are too formulaic. Especially the route combinations. Every good DC in the league knows which routes we favor in 3rd and medium and can literally send their coverage to where they know our receivers are going and wait for them to get there.

4) He absolute fails to take advantage of favorable matchups. The Cowboys should come into every game knowing which DBs can't cover which receivers or which D-lineman can't hold up against our offensive linemen. Yet we start every game "feeling out" the opposing defense. It's absolutely maddening.

I have always maintained that generally when we see a great play from this offense it's a result of one of our players doing something super human.. and rarely the scheme creating said play. Not that it doesn't happen.. but not enough IMHO. The reason the offense has been #1 is talent.. Zeke, Pollard, Coop, the line, CD, Gallup and yes.. the QB are some talented MOFOs and when they play teams whose DCs are NOT as smart as Kellen Moore and who are less talented they can boat race them. When the talent is at or above the same level and the coach IS smarter than Kellen Moore, the guys can't overcome it.

so if thats not "terrible" what is lol. Im more than annoyed with Moore

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
Sure. But I mean varying offensive tempo in general. Our tempo is very predictable. A shame because Moore actually WAS changing things up early on.

Yes that is what I meant. Just that something changed with Moore to revert back to calling plays from Garrett's playbook. He wasn't himself after the Denver game.

I think it might be Jerry telling him to use Garrett's playbook. I can only assume. But these plays need to be scrapped.

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
Broaddus, Shan, and Bobby Belt start off discussing WR trade targets, but Broaddus detours into a rant about the offense. Says there's still a lack of creativity compared to other offenses. OC not utlizing enough concepts to get WRs open in space. Route combinations don't maximize WR strengths like KC/Buffalo. Doesn't seem too enamored with trading for a WR if they're just going to inject him in a system that is not WR friendly.

Does he have a point? Or is this just a result of poor QB play?

Exactly what i feel the consensus here have been saying....and i agree with not getting a blue chip receiver if your system does not know how to utilize him effectively. Forget the deep passes, the routes don't work effectively or take advantage of matchups. Almost like he read CZ....:muttley:

Wolfpack

Reaction score
I’d like to get rid of the remains of the Garrett offense. Kellen feels like JG2.0, no feel for a game and uses empty sets/shotgun way too much.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Some people want MM fired and promote Quinn to HC. I can almost guarantee that KM will then have full control of the offense……that is the last thing this team needs. As of right now, big Mike is a buffer to Kellen. Dallas needs a new scheme and OC but if Quinn were to become HC, that pipe dream is over :thumbdown:

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
I didn't say it was a bad thing.

What I said was, "If he was coaching here the last 23 years with those results CowboysZone would have been screaming for him to be fired a long time ago."

Do you disagree?

I stand corrected and you are right. Forgive my defensiveness. I have long thought Andy Reid was an excellent coach and that the Eagles were insane to rid themselves of him. I was right in the short term because the replacement they got is barely in football any longer....but then Pederson and that stupid magic season happened.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yes that is what I meant. Just that something changed with Moore to revert back to calling plays from Garrett's playbook. He wasn't himself after the Denver game.

I think it might be Jerry telling him to use Garrett's playbook. I can only assume. But these plays need to be scrapped.

It does feel like someone got to him. Something’s changed, and NOT for the better.

Tommy

Reaction score
I stand corrected and you are right. Forgive my defensiveness. I have long thought Andy Reid was an excellent coach and that the Eagles were insane to rid themselves of him. I was right in the short term because the replacement they got is barely in football any longer....but then Pederson and that stupid magic season happened.
I have always liked Reid as a coach also. He has always known how to put points on the board.

SackMaster

Reaction score
Andy Reid has won 1 SB in 23 seasons as a head coach. If he was coaching here the last 23 years with those results CowboysZone would have been screaming for him to be fired a long time ago.
Probably.

Just like I'm sure that if the Dallas Cowboys had 30+ straight years of First Ballot HOF QBs as their starters and they only produced 2 SBs, this forum would call them all kinds of ignorant comments too.

Therefore I guess they are lucky they are not Packer Fans that have had either Farve (1st Ballot HOFer) or Rodgers (Future 1st Ballot HOFer) as their starting QB since 1992.

It's like it's not ALL about coaching and it's not ALL about the QB either.

If that was the case, then Andy would have more than 1 SB in 23 years, and the combo of Farve and Rodgers have more than 2 SB in 30+ years.

But that's how it works out, even with HOF worthy Coaches AND Players.
:starspin:

Pass2Run

Reaction score
I can't listen to Bobby Belt. He's almost as bad as listening to cringeworthy Brad Sham.

I feel sorry for players who have to interview with that goofball.

Acceptablename

Reaction score
Wait a minute Moore was the new offensive guru whiz kid last year and year before till he was told to throttle it down

TexasBacon

Reaction score
This offense should be a well-oiled machine by now considering how long Dak and Kellen have been together.

But you have a QB who goes through spells of not being able to process the field and anticipate throws, and an OC who for some reason lacks the creativity to create route combinations that facilitate open WRs. It's not a good combo.

Well, I see a whole lot of videos from industry experts and analysts/former players/coaches who seem to all say the same thing about Kellen's play calling and the offensive scheme in general, and that they don't do any favors with the routes and getting receivers open. I don't see many, if any videos or commentary from people who make their living discussing football (well, except from the sensationalists like Bayless, SAS, etc.) who put the blame on Dak or say he's terrible like the Dak-hating vocal minority do on this forum. Maybe you can find a few red herrings to my argument but I'd say the overwhelming majority of commentators who have played and coached professional football all agree Dak is in the second tier of good/great QB's, sometimes bordering on elite. I'm going to trust those guys alot more than the guys on here who hate Dak to the point I wonder if he slept with their wives or something. Dak has had some terrible games at the wrong time but you have to wonder what he'd be like with a different OC outside of the Garrett/Linehan/Moore school of thought. You can tell McCarthy is getting frustrated with Kellen, I've seen him call several timeouts recently where he hated Kellen's play calling to the point he called time out to change it. That's pretty bad. I'm starting to hope Kellen gets a HC job before Dak is up for a third contract so we can really see where the fault lies.

links18

Reaction score
Well, you heard it there: If we don't improve in the passing game, we won't contend for a Super Bowl.

MRV52

rat2k8
Reaction score
Get rid of that bum Moore and this offence would be rolling. Guy is clueless, Pollard and Turpin should be running into space but this dimwit is a Garrett clone.

WarDaddy

kidcrook
Reaction score
I have to say Broaddus is right, which feels weird to say. I'm quick to knock our QBs, but it's a group effort. The only thing KM seems to do frequently is scheme open his TEs. Really tough to sit here and say with a straight face that KM utilizes his skill players well.
The TE’s usually run option routes based on the coverage which is why they are reliably open when needed.
The problem with the passing game is that the receivers are asked to do the same at times and that can be tough to learn. This might be why Tolbert is struggling more than expected. The offense isn’t plug and play.

This is why we see little to nothing out of Pollard in the passing game and we see absolutely nothing out of Turpin. The Kellen Moore offense is hard.

I believe the Cowboys would have been a dynasty with the Kyle Shanahan offense since 2016. We’d be working on Super Bowl number three since then, easy. Lol

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Broaddus, Shan, and Bobby Belt start off discussing WR trade targets, but Broaddus detours into a rant about the offense. Says there's still a lack of creativity compared to other offenses. OC not utlizing enough concepts to get WRs open in space. Route combinations don't maximize WR strengths like KC/Buffalo. Doesn't seem too enamored with trading for a WR if they're just going to inject him in a system that is not WR friendly.

OC can get blamed for a lot of things that the QB is not recognizing.

This is no Dak hate reply, just saying the same applies to every QB in the entire league, and Dak is no different, and is allowed nothing more in comparison.

Dak is the starting QB and needs to execute the game plan, it's a two-way, street and if and when that happens, it becomes a beautiful event.

Dak has the ability, but he needs to find a milder groove, he is no super star, lil brother says he is but Dak needs to figure out that his ceiling has already been set.

Just play with the same poise and composure that Rush had, and quit being so nervous, and his physical talent can become dominant this season, the entire NFC is for the taking.

Dak hasn't figured that out yet, but there is hope that he will.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score

Broaddus is 100% correct. I don't like some things he says, but he's absolutely correct. For many who have criticized Dak, it really has been our receivers not being schemed open by our O-Coordinator like other teams better scheme their receivers open for their QBs.