Broaddus & Voch talk key players during OTAs/minicamp, plus best explanation why to keep Dak

HungryLion

Reaction score
Playoff wins at any level are a team game. It takes a whole team to win in the playoffs. Hard to win any playoff game when you've got no running game whatsoever, only 1 legit weapon at WR who gets double teamed and a defense who does not show up all game long.
I’ve got bad news. This front office isn’t putting together any complete teams anytime soon.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Video is 52 1/2 minutes long. Very good video with Bryan Broaddus and Voch Lombardi breaking down key players (starters and backups) during OTAs and minicamp leading up to training camp and their upcoming battles.

Sorry, I won't be including a time stamp for every player discussed throughout the video. Too many players. It's best if you have an hour to sit back, relax and enjoy the video. Plus, for those who want to go straight to the Trey Lance & Cooper Rush backup QB discussion, you can go to the 38:15 minute mark. For the best argument made why the Cowboys need to keep Dak, you can go to the end of the video to the 42:00 minute mark.

Enjoy! :starspin:

Why keep Dak?
Because he takes us deep into the playoffs?

OGSixshooter

Reaction score
I hate to bring it up, but Kurt Warner broke down Dak's 2 INTs at the 49ers two playoff seasons ago. Same issue then with both INTs. Wrong and lazy route ran by a hobbled Michael Gallup and CeeDee was given a badly designed route to run which set him and Dak up for failure. Dak carried some blame for throwing those passes but the blame was more with the coaching staff.
I saw that breakdown, while he did say that Gallup can HELP Dak...it was a *drumroll* POOR DECISION. Did you REALLY want to go the route of quoting Kurt Warner's breakdowns of Dak? His breakdowns confirmed ALL of my suspicions about his lack of success:

- Chaotic feet
- Inconsistent Drops
- Bad Reads/Not seeing the field clearly
- Doesn't always read the defense properly post snap
- Throws are high and wide due to inconsistent techniques

I could go on. THOSE are the things that doom a guy when he's feeling extreme pressure.

As for the CeeDee Lamb interception ..."Dak never saw the LBer..." ...so please stop putting that on...the offensive coordinator? C'mon...Dak is both a pre-snap god and a clueless victim of Kellen Moore. Pick one.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
I saw that breakdown, while he did say that Gallup can HELP Dak...it was a *drumroll* POOR DECISION. Did you REALLY want to go the route of quoting Kurt Warner's breakdowns of Dak? His breakdowns confirmed ALL of my suspicions about his lack of success:

- Chaotic feet
- Inconsistent Drops
- Bad Reads/Not seeing the field clearly
- Doesn't always read the defense properly post snap
- Throws are high and wide due to inconsistent techniques

I could go on. THOSE are the things that doom a guy when he's feeling extreme pressure.

As for the CeeDee Lamb interception ..."Dak never saw the LBer..." ...so please stop putting that on...the offensive coordinator? C'mon...Dak is both a pre-snap god and a clueless victim of Kellen Moore. Pick one.
You're making up bunk to justify your Dak blame game. That's been your stick from Day 1. Funny since it's the complete opposite of what professional players like Kurt Warner, Cole Beasley and others say. You know...guys who actually played and excelled at the highest level playing the game. They are not guys who mince words either when it comes to pointing out who is to blame for certain plays, so it's definitely not anywhere close to what you say. Go ahead and continue with your made up accusations. It's your right. Too bad the professionals don't agree with you.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You can’t keep using the excuse that a player that isn’t producing is mismanaged.
Why not? Because it's certainly true. That happened with other players last year as well.

The entire situation with Mazi and his weight is completely mindboggling. Beyond stupid.

It's the HC and coaching staffs job to put players in the best position to succeed. They didn't.

Flamma

Reaction score
That’s a dumb angle if that actually what Voch or Broaddus was saying.

The Cowboys paid Gallup $11.3M to play last season. He was going to get every chance to be on the field and earn the money. Full stop.
That's a good point. It was Voch saying it, not Broaddus. Voch is still a relatively young dude, I think he's coming at it from a high school angle. In the pros, unless there's some glaring difference, the 11 million dollar man is going to get the nod. I forgot about that until you brought it up.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Why keep Dak?
Because he takes us deep into the playoffs?
This is the problem with Voch's opinion. We know that Dak's a very good QB, we know we probably arent going to replace him with a better QB.......the problem is, that he's good, but HE has this Self Detonation Button at the most pressurized moments (playoffs/coming back from deficit's/2 minute drills needing more than 3 pts).

The alternative is to draft/sign a lesser QB and use the massive CAP saving on roster weapons (ala 49ers), a running game that the lesser QB options (ala Dak in 2016).

Continuing to put faith in a QB (that's excelled in 12-5 Regular Season), but has been an integral part of the problem in each of the last 3 years.....then giving him a higher CAP% and hoping everyone else improves is near ridiculous.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Why not? Because it's certainly true. That happened with other players last year as well.

The entire situation with Mazi and his weight is completely mindboggling. Beyond stupid.

It's the HC and coaching staffs job to put players in the best position to succeed. They didn't.
Yep, it's our cultural obsession with flex. Lets get players excelling in one area.....maybe expanding on their skill sets later, rather than this flex that so often leads to Jack of All Trades. No rookie's going to voluntarily lose such weight without coach's backing/instruction.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
This is the problem with Voch's opinion. We know that Dak's a very good QB, we know we probably arent going to replace him with a better QB.......the problem is, that he's good, but HE has this Self Detonation Button at the most pressurized moments (playoffs/coming back from deficit's/2 minute drills needing more than 3 pts).

The alternative is to draft/sign a lesser QB and use the massive CAP saving on roster weapons (ala 49ers), a running game that the lesser QB options (ala Dak in 2016).

Continuing to put faith in a QB (that's excelled in 12-5 Regular Season), but has been an integral part of the problem in each of the last 3 years.....then giving him a higher CAP% and hoping everyone else improves is near ridiculous.
If Dak was fully responsible for those 2 INTs, I would agree with you. Problem is those 2 INTs weren't totally on Dak. THAT is the difference and the reason why Dak should be kept. Fix what is truly the problem on offense, but I do wish Dak would agree to a discount.

Flamma

Reaction score

We already know that Dallas doesn't do that just going by Dak's rookie years. They'll just spend the extra money on their own players.

Yes, we have to hope the team improved over last year. It's actually funny. Well, we do get Diggs and Overshown back. Mazi could emerge as the second coming of Aaron Donald. Ferguson could be the next Jason Witten. We have to hope because it's not getting any easier going forward.

Flamma

Reaction score
If Dak was fully responsible for those 2 INTs, I would agree with you. Problem is those 2 INTs weren't totally on Dak. THAT is the difference and the reason why Dak should be kept. Fix what is truly the problem on offense, but I do wish Dak would agree to a discount.
Are you talking about the play where Dak does a quick fake handoff and gets picked off by the safety trying to hit Lamb? The play action killed the play. But Dak can't throw the ball to Lamb there. Dak isn't a robot where you program something in and see how it runs. It was too late to go to Lamb. You can blame play design, I just think Dak didn't see, or didn't think the safety would be there.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
But for me Dak's responsibility on those 2 INT's is that he made those throws BECAUSE OF THE PRESSURE OF THE SITUATION. Indeed, when we went 7-0 (even 14-0) we were still running the ball, the failures happened when we abandon the run.

......it's as if (well in imho) Dak, Coaching and whole roster know that our offensive failing is when we're forced to step up and cant rely on 'our style of play' and have to take risks (of which we're excellent, and are able to do in the Regular Season, where you get to play the lesser teams).

I agree on the discount part, especially as we need a Defense that can hold....the problem is that even in the two SF play-off defeats the Defense did step up (to a point), and yes there were problems.....but Dak still had 4 drives to win/tie those games.

For me there's causal link and it starts with Dak in those risk taking situations, which I dont think we can overcome even with an elite Defense.....especially as pretty much every SB winning run, at some point, requires the QB to perform the comeback heroic's.

.....Then again, if Dak took that discount i'm still probably in lol

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
We already know that Dallas doesn't do that just going by Dak's rookie years. They'll just spend the extra money on their own players.

Yes, we have to hope the team improved over last year. It's actually funny. Well, we do get Diggs and Overshown back. Mazi could emerge as the second coming of Aaron Donald. Ferguson could be the next Jason Witten. We have to hope because it's not getting any easier going forward.
Oh agree that Jerry's part of the problem is that he cant evaluate (trade/cut) any of 'his own'.....and kills us with filling the glass (paying good/mediocre talent, elite money).

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Are you talking about the play where Dak does a quick fake handoff and gets picked off by the safety trying to hit Lamb? The play action killed the play. But Dak can't throw the ball to Lamb there. Dak isn't a robot where you program something in and see how it runs. It was too late to go to Lamb. You can blame play design, I just think Dak didn't see, or didn't think the safety would be there.
Isnt that the title of The Blueprint.......as it appears a reoccuring theme.

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
Sorry, but a DT in his second year having a ton of pressure on him is a ridiculous take. Almost, non-scout like. Landry and Parcells (who basically just took from the former) said if a player doesn’t start showing you something in his third year, then it’s time to start moving on.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Not with the way Lance has been struggling with his passes so far in OTAs and minicamp. He's been behind in a lot of his throws, plus thrown a pick or two. He needs to seriously step it up. It's year 4 already and does not have a contract after this season.
Dak has thrown more interceptions than Trey in OTAs and looked way sloppier. Trey will do great during the preseason games and put all the pressure on Dak. When decision time comes, extending Trey and letting Dak walk is a real possibility.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Kurt Warner explained how it definitely was the fault of shoddy play design and badly designed route running as well. Both Dak and our WRs were set up to fail...which happened. That play 100% falls on the coaching staff who made the very same mistake the previous year's playoff loss INTs at the 49ers for the same reasons. Kurt Warner said the same thing both years...the problem with those INTs were in the details (he did not want to call out the coaches directly but instead indirectly implied whose fault it was due to shoddy play and route designs both years).

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Dak has thrown more interceptions than Trey in OTAs and looked way sloppier. Trey will do great during the preseason games and put all the pressure on Dak. When decision time comes, extending Trey and letting Dak walk is a real possibility.
More made up bunk. Whatever you need to satisfy your feelings. No problem. Can't wait to hear what else you will come up with once Dak gets extended.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Is Voch right or wrong about Dak? The argument he made to keep Dak, is he right or wrong in your opinion?
The Cowboys need to keep Dak. We have always been in agreement about Dak. The quarterback needs to get rid of his agent and sign a team friendly deal and be our quarterback for life. I just have issues with YouTuber’s putting down other players to make their favorite players look better. Side note, I never heard so much crying about a 4th round pick in my life. We just got an extra 3rd for a small first round trade down. We have plenty of picks. Lance is a lottery ticket that hopefully we don’t have to cash in.