Broaddus & Voch talk key players during OTAs/minicamp, plus best explanation why to keep Dak

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Kurt Warner explained how it definitely was the fault of shoddy play design and badly designed route running as well. Both Dak and our WRs were set up to fail...which happened. That play 100% falls on the coaching staff who made the very same mistake the previous year's playoff loss INTs at the 49ers for the same reasons. Kurt Warner said the same thing both years...the problem with those INTs were in the details (he did not want to call out the coaches directly but instead indirectly implied whose fault it was due to shoddy play and route designs both years).
So why did Dak throw the ball?

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
More made up bunk. Whatever you need to satisfy your feelings. No problem. Can't wait to hear what else you will come up with once Dak gets extended.
Wow, talk about being in denial about the facts. Debate is no longer possible once the facts are ignored. Being so blind to the possibility of Dak getting his walking papers, you can no longer accept what's happening. This is Dak's final season as a Cowboy unless he gets us further in the playoffs than he ever has. Wake up and smell the reality of that. Trey is ready and just needs the opportunity.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
So why did Dak throw the ball?
The defense dictated that play should have worked. Problem is it's a quick hitting throw. A 1-step dropback throw. The play would have worked if the coaches did not include an unnecessary play-action, which slowed down Dak, plus horrible route design for the aligned twin set left.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Wow, talk about being in denial about the facts. Debate is no longer possible once the facts are ignored. Being so blind to the possibility of Dak getting his walking papers, you can no longer accept what's happening. This is Dak's final season as a Cowboy unless he gets us further in the playoffs than he ever has. Wake up and smell the reality of that. Trey is ready and just needs the opportunity.
Denial? Wake up to reality? Why don't you disappear once Dak is extended?

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
The defense dictated that play should have worked. Problem is it's a quick hitting throw. A 1-step dropback throw. The play would have worked if the coaches did not include an unnecessary play-action, which slowed down Dak, plus horrible route design for the aligned twin set left.
So they're leaving Dak without any reads nor check downs? I would seriously doubt that, especially not having an option in case the defense don't buy the run on the play-action.

Flamma

Reaction score
Kurt Warner explained how it definitely was the fault of shoddy play design and badly designed route running as well. Both Dak and our WRs were set up to fail...which happened. That play 100% falls on the coaching staff who made the very same mistake the previous year's playoff loss INTs at the 49ers for the same reasons. Kurt Warner said the same thing both years...the problem with those INTs were in the details (he did not want to call out the coaches directly but instead indirectly implied whose fault it was due to shoddy play and route designs both years).
The coaches don't play. The blame ultimately falls on the player running the play. I'm all for blaming the WR when it's his fault. The QB has to count on the WR to do his job. But play design? When a QB throws a ball, he can't blame play design. That's his decision, he has to own it. You don't throw the ball where it is not supposed to go.

Flamma

Reaction score
I remember Troy Aikman talking about that slant to Harper that ultimately won the 1992 championship game. He knew Michael would get across the DBs face, he wasn't sure Harper would. But he let it fly. Aikman was totally dependent on Harper to do his job. To be there. It's a timing pattern that could either be complete or picked off depending on the WR. But Aikman isn't going to talk about play design.

But Aikman was right. They don't get that defensive look had Irvin been there. Not a chance.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
The coaches don't play. The blame ultimately falls on the player running the play. I'm all for blaming the WR when it's his fault. The QB has to count on the WR to do his job. But play design? When a QB throws a ball, he can't blame play design. That's his decision, he has to own it. You don't throw the ball where it is not supposed to go.
Excuse me? Dak threw the balls exactly where they were supposed to go on both INTs. The first was due to poor route run, plus the wrong player chosen to run it. Cole Beasley explained that thoroughly. The second INT was definitely due to poor play design and poor route design. Kurt Warner explained both. What is so hard for you anti-Dakkers to understand? Video was even included with the explanations.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
I remember Troy Aikman talking about that slant to Harper that ultimately won the 1992 championship game. He knew Michael would get across the DBs face, he wasn't sure Harper would. But he let it fly. Aikman was totally dependent on Harper to do his job. To be there. It's a timing pattern that could either be complete or picked off depending on the WR. But Aikman isn't going to talk about play design.

But Aikman was right. They don't get that defensive look had Irvin been there. Not a chance.
You don't even understand the difference in play designs between the 90s play and last year's plays.

Flamma

Reaction score
Excuse me? Dak threw the balls exactly where they were supposed to go on both INTs. The first was due to poor route run, plus the wrong player chosen to run it. Cole Beasley explained that thoroughly. The second INT was definitely due to poor play design and poor route design. Kurt Warner explained both. What is so hard for you anti-Dakkers to understand? Video was even included with the explanations.
I'm not sure we're talking about the same play. The play where Dak play actions to the RB and gets picked throwing to Lamb. Dak shouldn't throw that pass, period. End of story. He had to hit Lamb early in the route, play action took that option away. Dak threw it anyway. That's on him 100%.

davidr295

Reaction score
This is the dumbest take in the history of sports takes. Unless the WR falls down or the ball bounces off the WR hands and it gets picked it is on the person who threw the pass. Dak is a good QB and had a great year last year and the playoff loss was for sure not all on him, but to say it's all on play design is just stupid. The defense baited Dak in and he fell for it, simple as that. Happens to all the QBs so don't take that as a it only happens to Dak thing.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Why not? Because it's certainly true. That happened with other players last year as well.

The entire situation with Mazi and his weight is completely mindboggling. Beyond stupid.

It's the HC and coaching staffs job to put players in the best position to succeed. They didn't.
That’s your opinion he was mismanaged. Their evaluation of him was wrong. He couldn’t do what they were asking him to do. My opinion is we made a mistake. He’s slow off the ball and I don’t see how managing him differently is going to change that. He was drafted to help us stop the run and he wasn’t doing that. He was a liability that kept him off the field and now he’s rehabbing an injury. Zimmer is going to have him doing what he did in college and if we don’t see vast improvement he may not see a third season with the Cowboys.

OGSixshooter

Reaction score
You're making up bunk to justify your Dak blame game. That's been your stick from Day 1. Funny since it's the complete opposite of what professional players like Kurt Warner, Cole Beasley and others say. You know...guys who actually played and excelled at the highest level playing the game. They are not guys who mince words either when it comes to pointing out who is to blame for certain plays, so it's definitely not anywhere close to what you say. Go ahead and continue with your made up accusations. It's your right. Too bad the professionals don't agree with you.
Let's stay on topic and talk about Kurt's analysis. You accuse me of cherrypicking his feedback...but clearly...one of us doesn't want to talk about Kurt Warner's feedback. One of us wants to talk about the character of the other.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
I'm not sure we're talking about the same play. The play where Dak play actions to the RB and gets picked throwing to Lamb. Dak shouldn't throw that pass, period. End of story. He had to hit Lamb early in the route, play action took that option away. Dak threw it anyway. That's on him 100%.
NO, IT'S NOT! That play is on the coaching staff BECAUSE THEY DESIGNED IT.

Did you ever play football??? :huh:

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
This is the dumbest take in the history of sports takes. Unless the WR falls down or the ball bounces off the WR hands and it gets picked it is on the person who threw the pass. Dak is a good QB and had a great year last year and the playoff loss was for sure not all on him, but to say it's all on play design is just stupid. The defense baited Dak in and he fell for it, simple as that. Happens to all the QBs so don't take that as a it only happens to Dak thing.
Did you play football? Do you understand how the unneeded play-action cost Dak time to quickly release what was supposed to be a 1-step quick hitting throw? Even Kurt Warner explained it thoroughly. He said there was no need for such play-action since it clearly caused a delay. Plus, the twin set receivers both ran the same depth (5 yards) before they both broke slants inside, thus allowing the Safety to step in between and cover both, hence the pick-6. THAT IS ON THE COACHING STAFF FOR DESIGNING THE PLAY THAT WAY. Kurt Warner said as much.

Flamma

Reaction score
NO, IT'S NOT! That play is on the coaching staff BECAUSE THEY DESIGNED IT.

Did you ever play football??? :huh:
More games than you can imagine. I don't care what the coaching staff designed. You don't throw the ball if it's not there. There is a reason QBs go through progressions. He obviously just went with the first read. You want to blame the coach for making him fake handoff? Sure, you can blame the coach. But Dak still didn't have to throw it. I can see if Dak was blindfolded, then yeah, blame the coach.

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
More games than you can imagine. I don't care what the coaching staff designed. You don't throw the ball if it's not there. There is a reason QBs go through progressions. He obviously just went with the first read. You want to blame the coach for making him fake handoff? Sure, you can blame the coach. But Dak still didn't have to throw it. I can see if Dak was blindfolded, then yeah, blame the coach.
I saw the video. Kurt said he doesn’t understand why Dak did the play action fake. He never said the play was designed that way. It makes no sense to do play action on quick slants since the point of the play action is to freeze the LBs who have to read run then go over the top to the receiver. What Kurt criticized was the receivers (CeeDee and Cooks) being at the same depth on their slants, but that happens all the time in the league. It may not happen in the Martz offense he played under, but that doesn’t mean it’s a poorly designed route. Dak’s hesitation caused him to throw the ball late AND he stared down CeeDee who was his first read, even though Cooks was more open. The LB obviously read his eyes because he was looking at CeeDee the entire way and that’s why he had the pick six. This interception is completely on Dak. You can argue the first one may have been partly to blame on Cooks, but not this one. Dak hesitated with some half-assed play action, stared down the receiver, and threw late.