Broaddus & Voch talk key players during OTAs/minicamp, plus best explanation why to keep Dak

Ring6

StarSchema
Reaction score
Mazi is the most mismanaged first round picks we've ever had.
yep, sounds like the coaches in 23 (Quinn?) were not wanting to swallow the type of talent that the scouts imagined with the kid, so they tried to force fit him into being something else.

still to be determined whether that talent the scouts imagined ever transpires, but maybe the new DC will allow him to be what he was before the Frankenstein project attempted to change him.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
More games than you can imagine. I don't care what the coaching staff designed. You don't throw the ball if it's not there. There is a reason QBs go through progressions. He obviously just went with the first read. You want to blame the coach for making him fake handoff? Sure, you can blame the coach. But Dak still didn't have to throw it. I can see if Dak was blindfolded, then yeah, blame the coach.
You don't get it. It's a designed quick-hitting play. Cooks role inside was to carry the Safety with him, thus allowing CeeDee to be wide open on that twins-set, double left, quick slant play. The problem like Kurt Warner said is it was horribly designed by having both Cooks and CeeDee run the same depth (5 yards) before both slanting inside. That allowed the Safety to step up in between both and cover both, thus the pick-6. Also, the play-action should have never been included in the play since all it did was cause Dak to be late on a pass that has to come out quickly. Kurt Warner clearly talked about both big no-no's on that play. THAT is on the coaching staff for a poorly designed play.

Flamma

Reaction score
I saw the video. Kurt said he doesn’t understand why Dak did the play action fake. He never said the play was designed that way. It makes no sense to do play action on quick slants since the point of the play action is to freeze the LBs who have to read run then go over the top to the receiver. What Kurt criticized was the receivers (CeeDee and Cooks) being at the same depth on their slants, but that happens all the time in the league. It may not happen in the Martz offense he played under, but that doesn’t mean it’s a poorly designed route. Dak’s hesitation caused him to throw the ball late AND he stared down CeeDee who was his first read, even though Cooks was more open. The LB obviously read his eyes because he was looking at CeeDee the entire way and that’s why he had the pick six. This interception is completely on Dak. You can argue the first one may have been partly to blame on Cooks, but not this one. Dak hesitated with some half-assed play action, stared down the receiver, and threw late.
I agree completely. What I put in bold I believe I've mentioned in another thread regarding this topic.

Flamma

Reaction score
You don't even understand the difference in play designs between the 90s play and last year's plays.
I wasn't comparing the play design, just the situation. It doesn't matter if it was 1960, or 2023. When A DB is in single coverage with a WR and no real help otherwise, that's where a slant works. All the WR has to do is get across the DBs face. That applies to any year.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
I wasn't comparing the play design, just the situation. It doesn't matter if it was 1960, or 2023. When A DB is in single coverage with a WR and no real help otherwise, that's where a slant works. All the WR has to do is get across the DBs face. That applies to any year.
There is a HUGE DIFFERENCE when a WR is aligned by himself or in twin set. THAT is what you are terribly failing to understand and how it affects a QB's mindset and throw.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Growing the membership must not be something you give a damn about.
If all you do is complain and going to complain some more once Dak gets extended, why continue sticking around? People are tired of hearing your complaints and negativity.

Flamma

Reaction score
There is a HUGE DIFFERENCE when a WR is aligned by himself or in twin set. THAT is what you are terribly failing to understand and how it affects a QB's mindset and throw.
All I was trying to do was give a QBs perspective on what is expected from a WR in a certain situation. Where a WR can run a bad route and hurt a QB. That's it. But bad play design is not an excuse for QB to make an ill advised pass. You can't throw a quick slant off of play action. But he threw it anyway.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
All I was trying to do was give a QBs perspective on what is expected from a WR in a certain situation. Where a WR can run a bad route and hurt a QB. That's it. But bad play design is not an excuse for QB to make an ill advised pass. You can't throw a quick slant off of play action. But he threw it anyway.
Exactly. So why was the play-action integrated into that quick slant pass play? That's not on Dak. That's on the play creators: the coaches. That's what Kurt Warner was implying without directly calling out the coaches.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
If all you do is complain and going to complain some more once Dak gets extended, why continue sticking around? People are tired of hearing your complaints and negativity.
You just can't handle the truth. Dak isn't getting that extension. Even if he does, It's a huge mistake. He will never win a Super Bowl. It's time to let the next generation have an opportunity.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
You just can't handle the truth. Dak isn't getting that extension. Even if he does, It's a huge mistake. He will never win a Super Bowl. It's time to let the next generation have an opportunity.
You're the one who can't handle the truth. You're the one nonstop complaining.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
I saw the video. Kurt said he doesn’t understand why Dak did the play action fake. He never said the play was designed that way. It makes no sense to do play action on quick slants since the point of the play action is to freeze the LBs who have to read run then go over the top to the receiver. What Kurt criticized was the receivers (CeeDee and Cooks) being at the same depth on their slants, but that happens all the time in the league. It may not happen in the Martz offense he played under, but that doesn’t mean it’s a poorly designed route. Dak’s hesitation caused him to throw the ball late AND he stared down CeeDee who was his first read, even though Cooks was more open. The LB obviously read his eyes because he was looking at CeeDee the entire way and that’s why he had the pick six. This interception is completely on Dak. You can argue the first one may have been partly to blame on Cooks, but not this one. Dak hesitated with some half-assed play action, stared down the receiver, and threw late.
If Dak is using play action it's because the design of the play asked for it.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Exactly. So why was the play-action integrated into that quick slant pass play? That's not on Dak. That's on the play creators: the coaches. That's what Kurt Warner was implying without directly calling out the coaches.
....this again is coming across as finding reasons to deflect against Dak's part in the play. Ok the play action, shouldn't of been included, ok the doubled up slant wasn't the most effective use ....BUT DAK STILL THREW THE BALL, BAIL OUT IF YOU CANT MAKE IT, YOU'RE NOT A RISK TAKER.

davidr295

Reaction score
Did you play football? Do you understand how the unneeded play-action cost Dak time to quickly release what was supposed to be a 1-step quick hitting throw? Even Kurt Warner explained it thoroughly. He said there was no need for such play-action since it clearly caused a delay. Plus, the twin set receivers both ran the same depth (5 yards) before they both broke slants inside, thus allowing the Safety to step in between and cover both, hence the pick-6. THAT IS ON THE COACHING STAFF FOR DESIGNING THE PLAY THAT WAY. Kurt Warner said as much.
You are putting words in both Warner and Beasley's comments. You are interpreting them to align with your crazy talking points. The picks were on Dak period. Does not mean he is not a good QB or the loss was on him. Both can be true, he made crucial mistakes but was not the sole reason for loss. You are so hostile, Take some meds or check in to the local mental health clinic dude....

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score
The truth is that his fan club doesn't care that Dak isn't capable of winning big games, they want him extended for life no matter what. Stats are all that matter.

SoupcanSam

Reaction score
A lot of you are complaining about watching 50+ minuts of podcast, but you will spend that amount of time, and longer just talking and typing on the cowboyszone forum.

I mean we are talking hours upon hours, days upon days, months upon months and years upon years worth that 50+ minutes couldnt compare to!

:huh:

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
....this again is coming across as finding reasons to deflect against Dak's part in the play. Ok the play action, shouldn't of been included, ok the doubled up slant wasn't the most effective use ....BUT DAK STILL THREW THE BALL, BAIL OUT IF YOU CANT MAKE IT, YOU'RE NOT A RISK TAKER.
You're the one with the deflect syndrome. You can't handle the truth. Dak ran a play that was designed that way. This happened during the playoffs! Why didn't the coaches pick up on its failed setup? Because they are idiots. But, noooo, let's blame Dak because your Dak hating feelings can't handle it!!!

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
A lot of you are complaining about watching 50+ minuts of podcast, but you will spend that amount of time, and longer just talking and typing on the cowboyszone forum.

I mean we are talking hours upon hours, days upon days, months upon months and years upon years worth that 50+ minutes couldnt compare to!

:huh:
Good point.