Broadus thinks Vander Esch will be the pick

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
Sigh...Floaty is going to be unbearable, but...**** it, LVE would probably be a great pick for us. I mean, we *just* got rid of Kellen Moore, bring him back as a coach and then this?

When are people gonna learn I am the center of the universe of all thing Cowboys?;)

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Listening to the draft show they were talking about Evans and he said after talking to some of the Cowboys guys that he thinks he'll be the pick.

I guess they have some private workouts set up for him as well.
Too bad for everyone that wants Vander Esch to be the pick. If Broaddus predicted it, then it won't happen.

Verdict

Reaction score
Blond haired white LBer is why people will do that.
I dont have strong feelings either way toward him. I know his production last season was awesome.
141 tackles. 4 sacks, 4 forced fumbles, 2 interceptions........ these numbers in a college season are very impressive.
He has good size and people think his frame can hold even more size....

But i dont know if a MLB should be the pick at 19. I hear the Eagles, Pats, and Steelers are also interested in him.

Where are you going with that? What does blond haired white have to do with his selection. Am I missing the joke?

Verdict

Reaction score
This is just like last year but instead of corners they've pigeon holed themselves into having to have linebackers.

I like Rashaan Evans. I think he'll be a BA where ever he goes.

You might be right. He also might last until our pick in the second. #19 is probably too high for him. Everyone can't go in the first round.

bleachedwheat

Reaction score
Evans isn't great in coverage he would be trash in a 4-3 zone he doesn't have the reactionary skill or range to do it. He is more suited in a 3-4 ILB position. Vander Esch might be the best coverage linebacker in the whole draft. This makes the choice between the two easy for me.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
LV certainly has the measureables. 6-4 260...runs a 4.6...has a 39.5 inch vertical. I get nervous about players that have one year of production. Maybe the light came on. Maybe it was a fluke.

That Matthew Adams video was fun to watch. I wonder why he didn't go to the combine?
Listed at 5-11, 230. Draft reports say 2 down LB. I barely saw him in coverage in youtube videos.

Verdict

Reaction score
It's sort of funny. It seems as though some of the posters seem to think 60 players will somehow go in the top 15 picks.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I will never understand their loose lips when it comes to the draft. I would not allow anyone employed with the team to speak a single word about the draft with anyone that is not employed by the team. I would set up meetings with players at positions I have no interest in. I would do anything I could to keep my true intentions secret and throw everyone off the trail. Dallas' front office talks so much leading up to the draft and we wonder why players they like go off the board right before they pick every year or why teams seem to always trade up in front of Dallas. This could be misdirection. it just makes no sense to allow reporters to get a sense of who you like in the draft.

They don't tell Broaddus anything.

He has been wrong more often than anybody I've seen ( except @Floatyworm :rolleyes: ).

superonyx

Reaction score
Where are you going with that? What does blond haired white have to do with his selection. Am I missing the joke?
Yes you are obviously.
Back up and read the question I was replying to.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
I have to admit Vander Esch hasn't really been on my radar. I just watched three of his games and I can see why he seems to be a popular name of late. There's some rawness to his game but you see some traits like the way he's able to fight through traffic and find the ball carrier. I also see him taking alot of false steps.

I'm intrigued because I don't know if he's a Day 1 starter but due to his background, I think his best football is ahead of him.

rags747

Reaction score
I'm down for LVE, It's sooo great that we beat the Egals in week 16.

Pants

Reaction score
I don't want any part of Ridley, Payne or Evans...NOOOO thank you....I am intrigued by LVE and would not be upset if he was taken @ #19....although, I would be VERY upset if Ro Smith was there and wasn't taken...I don't expect Smith to be there at #19, but if he was the Cowboys pick, I will be downright giddy

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
The guy was productive and put on a show at the combine.

I know there is a Bobby Carpenter comparison floating around but I just don't see it. Carpenter was anti-physical.

I guess one could make a case that they are similar athletically, but so is Luke Kuechly.

gmoney112

Reaction score
I'm wary of picking any guy that high that probably had to pay someone before the Combine to be in the Top 30 players.

Byron was a late 1st, which is more acceptable for those kinds of dudes. And I actually liked Byron, still do. I think if he was taught to press from Day 1, and not moved, he'd be a capable starting CB which is fine there.

I like Vander Esch too. Obviously a looong way to go, but a freakish MLB would be valuable. Especially if you want to go a little lighter up front to get after good QBs. If Jaylon works out, then you have a young Mike and Will tandem, that'd be nice.

But, he's a risk. Especially at 19 when you know there's going to be all pro talent chosen after that pick.

Urlacher came from that well known D1 football factory known as New Mexico, but he was a safety. Bobby Wagner came from that powerhouse Utah St, but he was a speed demon. I'm much less worried about school than about his game speed. If you're taking a guy who's going to anchor the middle of your defense for a while (As you should if you're spending 19 on him), speed still kills. Can Vander Esch be that? I don't know, but we've been in desperate need of speed in the middle of the field for years.

It's going to be really tough if Evans/Smith are there too. If Edmunds is available that's a no brainer to me, but I doubt he will be. I *think* id take Evans and Smith over Vander Esch but I can't say because I'm not lucky enough to be a film breakdown guy. Durability should always be a concern with potential MLBs.

I wouldn't hate the pick, if they really thought he'd be worth 19. If we don't take him, I'd honestly be a little annoyed if someone like the Eagles took him late first. But, our player evaluation would definitely be opening themselves up to scrutiny, and fairly, if he is the pick and he doesn't turn out to be what a 19th should be. Theres going to be multiple pro bowl talent at 19, you just have to find it and not get stuck looking at need (or want).

Rayman70

Reaction score
if broaddus says it..THE OPPOSITE IS TRUE...its a proven fact. ITS A GIANT SMOKESCREEN. Believe nothing that Blowhard says. Terrible talent evaluator. Love the entertainment value he brings...but in the real world of talent evaluation..he simply sucks.