Brunell restructure article - *Update: He and Portis restructures deals* Cap question

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
BigDFan5 said:
It costs them more to cut him than it does to keep him. Brunell has all the leverage

Yep, and he also knows that Washingotn isn't going anywhere with Jason Campbell as the QB next year.

Natedawg44

Reaction score
So are we rooting for the CBA to be delayed so some of these teams are forced to cut better players?

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Honestly, I think this is the start of a long list of guys at least PAUSING before restructuring. Some Skins fans just assumed that it was going to be easy to get guys to restructure their contract. When it comes to money, you can't make that assumption.

Phoenix-Talon

Eagles Fan Liaison
Reaction score
WoodysGirl said:
Honestly, I think this is the start of a long list of guys at least PAUSING before restructuring. Some Skins fans just assumed that it was going to be easy to get guys to restructure their contract. When it comes to money, you can't make that assumption.

You're probably right. But I'm also noticing components of players who arebeing asked to take cuts in their 2006 salary because of mismanagement, or cap deficiencies their respective teams are experiencing.

In some cases, players are saying ..."why should my contract be impaired due to your neglect." That's an argument that must be heard. What are the alternatives ...

If a player says yes

Less money ...good standing with the GM office.

If a Player says no

Retain big pay days ...GM bad list; jeopardize future contracts,
possible release.

Sure, in some cases, it cut & dry. But in other cases it's the GM putting the squeeze on aging players, undsireable players, players who have lost their value or are being overpaid.

RiggoForever

Benched
Reaction score
WoodysGirl said:

I guess because to most of us fans, the difference between 1 and 2 million isn't that much, and we'd be thrilled to be making even one million a year. But I suppose once you begin making that much money, your mentality changes.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
WoodysGirl said:

You know, it's funny because the Skinz have had so much success with living on the edge that I just think that your right when you say they thought it would be easier then what is looks as if it's proving to be.

At some point, the check comes and puchases are payable at close of business. I wonder if that time has come for the Skinz. It certainly looks as if it has.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Phoenix-Talon said:
You're probably right. But I'm also noticing components of players who arebeing asked to take cuts in their 2006 salary because of mismanagement, or cap deficiencies their respective teams are experiencing.

In some cases, players are saying ..."why should my contract be impaired due to your neglect." That's an argument that must be heard. What are the alternatives ...

If a player says yes

Less money ...good standing with the GM office.

If a Player says no

Retain big pay days ...GM bad list; jeopardize future contracts,
possible release.

Sure, in some cases, it cut & dry. But in other cases it's the GM putting the squeeze on aging players, undsireable players, players who have lost their value or are being overpaid.

Add in the idea that the last few years, if I remember correctly, they have asked LT Samuels to restructure his contract to help the team out while pushing his stuff into the future.

Time will come when players have done this over and over and just get tired of the bad management of a teams salary cap.

superpunk

Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt said:
Add in the idea that the last few years, if I remember correctly, they have asked LT Samuels to restructure his contract to help the team out while pushing his stuff into the future.

Time will come when players have done this over and over and just get tired of the bad management of a teams salary cap.

Well, under the previous CBA, it always meant that they got more guaranteed money, if I'm not wrong. But now, it can't be done that way, I guess.

kiheikiwi

Maui No Ka Oi
Reaction score
Plus Brunell has already restructured for thr Skins once before. So he's like "what, again?"

Phoenix-Talon

Eagles Fan Liaison
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt said:

I Hear you BP. You would think that GM would discuss "restructuring" and "salary cuts" with players right up front (and some may). But players also have a responsibility to have clauses written into their respective contracts. Some examples could be ...

Sustain current 5-year (or however many year contract); exempt from restructuring/salary cuts, for the first 2-3 years.

Cannot be released from contract as a result of internal cap deficiencies/budgetary defaults; unless player consents to terms ...

...or some protection for the player; commensurate with GM needs.

Through no fault of the player, they are being financially penalized. I wonder how TO will react when Bill asks him to take a cut for the sake of the team
(darn it ...I said that out loud didn't I?):)

superpunk

Reaction score
kiheikiwi said:
Plus Brunell has already restructured for thr Skins once before. So he's like "what, again?"

That's what I find so funny. Brunell restructured, in his first offseason with the team! LOL....I guess they planned on it being an every year thing.

fanfromvirginia

Inconceivable!
Reaction score
Keep in mind that there are two definitions of "restructuring" out there: contracts for which the money just gets juggled and contracts for which the money gets cut. It seems to me for a lot of these contracts, the Commanders are asking for a juggle and for Brunell and others the Commanders are asking for a cut.

Is this correct? Brunell certainly has all the leverage but he also doesn't have much to gain from refusing to juggle the money since there is no way in hell the Commanders cut him and he will suffer if the Commanders are forced to field 20 rookies.

InDakWeTrust

DezBRomo9
Reaction score
fanfromvirginia said:
Keep in mind that there are two definitions of "restructuring" out there: contracts for which the money just gets juggled and contracts for which the money gets cut. It seems to me for a lot of these contracts, the Commanders are asking for a juggle and for Brunell and others the Commanders are asking for a cut.

Is this correct? Brunell certainly has all the leverage but he also doesn't have much to gain from refusing to juggle the money since there is no way in hell the Commanders cut him and he will suffer if the Commanders are forced to field 20 rookies.

But then again, if alot of other players decline to restructure in DC, then they may end up cutting him and Brunell only gets his guaranteed money(bonuses).

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
joshjwc9 said:
But then again, if alot of other players decline to restructure in DC, then they may end up cutting him and Brunell only gets his guaranteed money(bonuses).

The Commanders will LOSE cap room if they cut Brunell. Steinberg probably figures that if the Skins cut Brunell out of spite, he can go to another team desperate for a short-term quarterback solution. He played well enough last season (before getting hurt) to get a contract from someone.

Aikmaniac

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Natedawg44 said:
So are we rooting for the CBA to be delayed so some of these teams are forced to cut better players?

Yeah, so much for kicking their *** all over the field. :rolleyes: