BTB: Stephen Jones: Kellen Moore as QBs coach is nearly a done deal for the Cowboys

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
No, I didn't say that - reading comprehension seems to be a real problem for you.

I said there is no 3 year progression where a QB coach went to O-Coordinator the following year, and to head coach the next year. I also said that even when QB coaches do eventually work their way up the food chain to becoming a head coach, they aren't replacing the head coach they served as QB coach for.
Comprehension is a problem for you all together. Moore is not the subject, threat to Garrett's job is.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
Jason Garrett actually is experienced at this point. He has been an NFL coach for 13 years now. He just isn't that good at it.
And so is Jerry Jones, GM for 25 years. You still think he's qualified to be GM?

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What is Moore's experience? Shouldn't take long to answer that question, ZERO. Why does this matter to me? Because I want experienced coaches in there, someone with skins on the wall, someone who is a threat to Garrett. Anyone who is a threat to Garrett, that's who I want. I want also want an offensive coordinator who is a threat to Garrett. I also want a QB who is a threat to Dak, and I wanted a QB who was a threat to Romo. I want everyone on their heels right now. And the fans are the only threat to Jerry the GM right now if they sell their season tickets to opposing fans and not show up to the draft.

You are arguing something not in dispute and acting as if you are making a point. That's really been your whole MO - make up something and pretend it's relevant.

I've never said Moore was experienced, so you arguing with me about Moore not being experienced is stupid.

Hel, I've never even said Moore's lack of experience isn't a concern, and in fact have said it is, so, again, it's stupid for you to argue with me as if I have said something I haven't.

My point is and has always been that you are acting as if Jerry is doing something out of the norm by not having a QB coach that is a threat to his head coach, and that's plan fabricated manure. You are putting down Jerry for not doing something that no other NFL GM is doing. It's a made up argument. The whole idea of a QB coach being a threat is just a fantasy thing in your head.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Comprehension is a problem for you all together. Moore is not the subject, threat to Garrett's job is.

Funny you say that because you ignore all my comments about the "threat" idea and can only counter with Moore's experience. If it's just about the idea of the QB coach being a threat, stick to that. And to do that, you need to look around the NFL and see if you can actually find that a QB coach who is a threat to his head coach is actually a thing. If you look at that fairly (you wont) you will find it is not a thing.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And so is Jerry Jones, GM for 25 years. You still think he's qualified to be GM?

You must be the most ridcilously illogical person on this site. I never remotely said Jerry was qualified to be GM. You must live in a drug induced fantasy world to actually think this kind of comment passes for logic.

cern

Reaction score
in coaching, innovation trumps experience. the carousel of ex-nfl hc's going from one team to another seldom improves their new teams. mcvay went to the rams and turned around goff and the team. moore might be a very effective qb coach. but that won't overcome garrett's stale 90's offensive scheme.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
You are arguing something not in dispute and acting as if you are making a point. That's really been your whole MO - make up something and pretend it's relevant.

I've never said Moore was experienced, so you arguing with me about Moore not being experienced is stupid.

Hel, I've never even said Moore's lack of experience isn't a concern, and in fact have said it is, so, again, it's stupid for you to argue with me as if I have said something I haven't.

My point is and has always been that you are acting as if Jerry is doing something out of the norm by not having a QB coach that is a threat to his head coach, and that's plan fabricated manure. You are putting down Jerry for not doing something that no other NFL GM is doing. It's a made up argument. The whole idea of a QB coach being a threat is just a fantasy thing in your head.
Not sure what you're talking about because everything you're saying sounds stupid.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
You must be the most ridcilously illogical person on this site. I never remotely said Jerry was qualified to be GM. You must live in a drug induced fantasy world to actually think this kind of comment passes for logic.
I'm going to put this as simple as I can.

Jerry hires safe puppets. Moore is a safe puppet.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
Safe Puppets:
Funny you say that because you ignore all my comments about the "threat" idea and can only counter with Moore's experience. If it's just about the idea of the QB coach being a threat, stick to that. And to do that, you need to look around the NFL and see if you can actually find that a QB coach who is a threat to his head coach is actually a thing. If you look at that fairly (you wont) you will find it is not a thing.
Josh McDaniels if he were in Dallas as the QB Coach/Assistant. Well maybe not because Jerry hires puppets.

Safe Puppets:

Barry Switzer
Gailey
Campo
Wade Phillips
Jason Garrett

Moore is another example.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm going to put this as simple as I can.

Jerry hires safe puppets. Moore is a safe puppet.

Dude, you have been very good at being simple - simple minded isn't a problem for you. The problem is fabricating the argument you have about the QB coaching position. You are stretching too hard to make a point that doesn't fit.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
Dude, you have been very good at being simple - simple minded isn't a problem for you. The problem is fabricating the argument you have about the QB coaching position. You are stretching too hard to make a point that doesn't fit.
I like to keep it simple, for all the DC folks coming over.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Safe Puppets:
Josh McDaniels if he were in Dallas as the QB Coach/Assistant. Well maybe not because Jerry hires puppets.

Safe Puppets:

Barry Switzer
Gailey
Campo
Wade Phillips
Jason Garrett

Moore is another example.

Well, hell, Bill Bellicheck and John Elway would be threats if they were coaches under Garrett too. If we are going to throw out fantasy scenarios that make no sense, why not make them a doozie?

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
Well, hell, Bill Bellicheck and John Elway would be threats if they were coaches under Garrett too. If we are going to throw out fantasy scenarios that make no sense, why not make them a doozie?
You could call Jerry's time as GM a fantasy, and all of his hires are such.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
No, unfortunately, Jerry's time as GM isn't a fantasy. Jerry is real.
Jerry by default is real, his GM'ing has been a fantasy. Let's take a brief look at his decisions, these are not all of them, just off the top of my head.

Hiring Campo
Hiring Gailey
Hiring Garrett
Hiring Moore
Acquiring Drew Henson and that other baseball QB.
Drafting Quincy Carter, the poor mans' McNabb.
Using an undrafted QB to run America's team.

I could go on, but...

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jerry by default is real, his GM'ing has been a fantasy. Let's take a brief look at his decisions, these are not all of them, just off the top of my head.

Hiring Campo
Hiring Gailey
Hiring Garrett
Hiring Moore
Acquiring Drew Henson and that other baseball QB.
Drafting Quincy Carter, the poor mans' McNabb.
Using an undrafted QB to run America's team.

I could go on, but...

Actually, all those things were real too. Some I had a problem with at the time, some not so much.

Campo and Carter were the dumbest decisions. Those should have had failure written all over them.

Gailey had a strong coaching background, so his hire wasn't a blatant mistake at the time. It's only hindsight that tells us that.

I also wouldn't have had a problem with Henson or Hutchinson IF they had been treated only as projects behind a more serious prospect, but the Cowboys didn't get that more serious prospect and therefore were forced to count on them

Using an undrafted QB wasn't really a bad thing. Romo wasn't elite like Peyton, Brees and Brady, but he was clearly next level. Lesser QBs have succeeded.

As for Garrett, I didn't have a problem with Jerry hiring him, but he elevated him too fast. Jerry sometimes gets a grand notion that he can foresee things others can't, and in his zeal to prove it he jumps the gun. He did that with Garrett and with Quincy Carter.

As for Moore, the lack of experience is a concern, but I'm not going to condemn a man who hasn't yet had a chance to prove himself.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
Actually, all those things were real too. Some I had a problem with at the time, some not so much.

Campo and Carter were the dumbest decisions. Those should have had failure written all over them.

Gailey had a strong coaching background, so his hire wasn't a blatant mistake at the time. It's only hindsight that tells us that.

I also wouldn't have had a problem with Henson or Hutchinson IF they had been treated only as projects behind a more serious prospect, but the Cowboys didn't get that more serious prospect and therefore were forced to count on them

Using an undrafted QB wasn't really a bad thing. Romo wasn't elite like Peyton, Brees and Brady, but he was clearly next level. Lesser QBs have succeeded.

As for Garrett, I didn't have a problem with Jerry hiring him, but he elevated him too fast. Jerry sometimes gets a grand notion that he can foresee things others can't, and in his zeal to prove it he jumps the gun. He did that with Garrett and with Quincy Carter.

As for Moore, the lack of experience is a concern, but I'm not going to condemn a man who hasn't yet had a chance to prove himself.
They are all dumb because Jerry Jones is not a GM and 22 years proves it.

Wood

Reaction score
I actually think Moore is going to be a good coach. But not here for Dak. How can Dak take coaching from a player who doesn't have the fundamentals, or couldn't even beat Dak out? It's just weird. It would be different if this was some veteran such as McCown or someone like that.

I think Moore could become one of better offensive mind in few years. Romo used to speak high of his knowledge.