Can anyone say this about Garrett

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
During the week, in the qb room, it was Sanchez. Go listen to the podcasts that Helman and the guys around the team during the time Romo was hurt and rehabbing those 10-12 weeks
That's pretty much what I'm eluding too. IMO Romo should have been hired as an offensive coordinator since he was doing that job. And Sanchez should have been hired as a QB coach since he was doing that job. Heck the WR coach Cooley wasn't doing his job. So these coaches were skating by why the players ran the asylum. So fire the coaches and hire the players. Especially after going 13-3. Because the seemed to care more.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
So all of those games where they showed Romo on the sidelines that was just my eyes playing tricks. I guess it wasn't really Romo that asked for his job back. Since he was no where around as you put it.
Looked to me like Sanchez was more visible on the sideline, especially in regard to Prescott.

Dre11

Reaction score
That's pretty much what I'm eluding too. IMO Romo should have been hired as an offensive coordinator since he was doing that job. And Sanchez should have been hired as a QB coach since he was doing that job. Heck the WR coach Cooley wasn't doing his job. So these coaches were skating by why the players ran the asylum. So fire the coaches and hire the players. Especially after going 13-3. Because the seemed to care more.

He wasn't the OC or installing the gameplan, he merely did what all was do which is give input, doesn't mean his input was used or successfull.

Romo's new responsibilities lead me to a question: "Why hasn't he done this before?"

Almost every top quarterback—from Peyton Manning to Tom Brady to Eli Manning to Matt Ryan—has this responsibility already. These guys are so ingrained with the kind of receiver they like, the kind of schemes they want run and the kind of passes they want to make that this is the norm.

Dre11

Reaction score

They also hired a player as OC, someone Dak pushed to be OC

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Romo was with the team in 2015 when the team won 4 games too. So was that on Romo or Linehan?
oh oh, now you have done it and got his shorts tied in a knot...

let me explain how it works with the garrett haters...

any wins, its Romo, Dak, the Players and the assistant coaches. any losses, its garrett's fault for not getting them ready. so 13-3 its Romo, but losing in the playoffs, its garrett. just accept that and everything will be fine.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I'm talking about coaching not players. The thread is about coaching. Dont you find it a bit odd that we go from having the coach of the year, and everyone praising this offense, to offensive coaches being fired In just two years time? So im just adding two and two and coming up with the most logical conclusion. It was the influence Romo had on the offense throughout his years and not Garrett. Romo was basically a playing coach, while he was playing and a real coach in that 13-3 year. So I'd rather heap more praise on Romo instead of Garrett, during their 8 to 10 years together.
so 10-6, 1-1 in the playoffs. was it Romo doing it from the booth?

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Romo wasn't helping Dak cause we was going Linehan's job. Sanchez was the one being praised for helping Dak. So. If I'm the head coach and we just went 13-3 with a rookie at QB I'm hiring Romo as an OC and Sanchez as a QB coach. Just saying. If it ain't broke dont try to fix it.
so where is this proof of yours outside of your 2-2 adding up to -3, that Romo was coaching the offense, calling plays, designing plays, making game plans..... and what happened when we went 10-6? with Romo in the booth!

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I can say about Garrett what I can say about any and all of these HC's, I don't know what they do when not on the sideline in a game and am not sure what some, including Garrett, do then.

I have a hard time seeing any NFL HC walking around the practice field and leap frogging his coaches and showing them how to do the job he hired them to do in front of his players. Most of these guys when they get to that role, except those pulling double duty, are more big picture, admin and the spokesperson for the team. Except the Cowboys have co-spokepersons.

I don't know how many of the positions Garrett can coach but his main job and the one I hold him at fault for is the in game sideline decision maker for the team. I do not doubt he sees what we see when it isn't working, I just don't know if he knows what to do and am not saying I do either and honestly, he has a lot of company in the NFL coaching fraternity or 20-25% of them wouldn't get canned every year.

What some of the more vocal Garrett critics fail to take into consideration is that in his time with the Cowboys, we could have gone through two other coaches with the same or worse results. The assumption that we would have done better with another or others is nothing more than that.
:hammer:

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Im not going out on a limb here when I say that as soon as Brady is done... Belicheat will retire. I hope he doesnt, so the former Browns coach wil return. Great coaches all have one thing in common.... a GREAT QB.
George Siefert had the highest win % in NFL history at one time. Then he flew from SF to NC and on the way he must have hit his head on that plane. As soon as he touched down in NC, that SOB forgot how to coach. Craziest thing I have ever seen.
While I agree that Brady makes Bill look a lot better, the Patriots seem to be just fine when Brady isn't playing. Whatever QB they replace him with looks like the next Brady, until he ships off to a different team. It must be the system, and whether that's all on Bill or not, I don't know, but it doesn't seem like he's a complete slouch without a star QB.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
So all of those games where they showed Romo on the sidelines that was just my eyes playing tricks. I guess it wasn't really Romo that asked for his job back. Since he was no where around as you put it.
yes, Romo was on the sidelines, but you have absolutely zero proof that he was game planning, play calling, scheming, etc. outside of he was on the sideline...… and yes he asked for his job back, because as a starter, he lost his job due to injury.....

your 2 and 2 add up to -3

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
All I'm saying is that Brice Butler's statement merits attention. Think about this Jason Garrett comes from the offensive side of the ball so he's supposed to be an offensive guru. Well if he's an offensive guru why was his offensive coordinator not plucked away from the Cowboys to be a head coach somewhere else? Since Romo has left Dak to Dez had become so ineffective that Dez had to be released. Linehan has been fired. And we are now struggling in the red zone. All while having a supposed offensive guru in our stable. So Brice Butler's statement merits attention.
his offensive coordinator was a head coach before and as a head coach he failed.....there are lot of OCs, and DCs that don't necessarily make good head coaches and NFL is litered with those....

and Brice Butler is a loser....a never been WR who thought he was good and he sucked. couldn't run any route except the go route and had really bad hands....but you, chose to give merit to a never been, but dismiss Dez, Lee and other players who actually accomplished something....why? oh, yeah, because it fits your narrative....

no brice butler's statement merits to be flushed down the toilet...along with brice butler....

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
you must know somebody inside the cowboys organization because you know so well how everything was working and Jerry and Steven were all fooled.... wait, you do know someone inside the organization...his name is Brice Butler :lmao2:

Big_D

Reaction score
mcvay? one year of OC in Washington.....

He coached for 6 years and then became an OC for 3 years not 1. That's still 9 years of coaching before becoming a HC. And proved his worth and has an eidetic memory. There's already no comparison between the 2 HCs after only 2 seasons in LA with the same number of postseason wins and a Super Bowl appearance. You wouldn't swap coaches right now? They can have Garrett and the whole dam coaching staff for McVay.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
I would argue Romo would make a better defensive coach.