Can anyone say this about Garrett

Little Jr

Reaction score
Im not going out on a limb here when I say that as soon as Brady is done... Belicheat will retire. I hope he doesnt, so the former Browns coach wil return. Great coaches all have one thing in common.... a GREAT QB.
George Siefert had the highest win % in NFL history at one time. Then he flew from SF to NC and on the way he must have hit his head on that plane. As soon as he touched down in NC, that SOB forgot how to coach. Craziest thing I have ever seen.
Maybe. But without Brady he still has a record around 14-6 or something like that.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
10-6. With Quincy Carter at quarterback and Troy Hambrick at running back. The only real advantage a team can have these days is coaching. Everything else is slated to be even and equal.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
All I'm saying is that Brice Butler's statement merits attention. Think about this Jason Garrett comes from the offensive side of the ball so he's supposed to be an offensive guru. Well if he's an offensive guru why was his offensive coordinator not plucked away from the Cowboys to be a head coach somewhere else? Since Romo has left Dak to Dez had become so ineffective that Dez had to be released. Linehan has been fired. And we are now struggling in the red zone. All while having a supposed offensive guru in our stable. So Brice Butler's statement merits attention.

SOME THOUGHTS:

Earlier we discussed Butler's comments and their context. He talked about perceiving the coaches as not doing anything when he first came to Dallas only because to that point he had worked exclusively with very young QBs and therefore didn't understand how things work with a veteran QB. Accordingly, while Romo had input, he wasn't creating the game plans on his own. That said, his input may well have had value, so there might be at least some degree of loss with Romo not being around, however great or small.

The "offensive guru" stuff with Garrett is often overblown. Garrett was presented as a bright, up and coming young offensive mind when he was hired, not a "guru".

While Linehan stagnated as OC, the fact he wasn't snatched away to be a head coach doesn't mean anything. Linehan had already had his shot as a head coach, but failure as a head coach doesn't mean a guy can't be a quality coordinator. Ask Wade Phillips and Norv Turner about that.

Dez's production was diminished even in the 13-3 season when the offense was highly productive. That's why he was released - not because the offense failed, but because he failed to produce relative to the size of his contract.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
What can go wrong will go wrong and it's the head coaches job to stop it, if he can. Letting your assistants do the bare minimum is on the coach. What was Cooley doing all this years. The DB coach and Cooley had a philosophy, "Do what ever makes you fell comfortably." That was their style under Garrett. Do what you like. So it's not a far stretch to say the coaches were sitting on their hands. So who's job was it to supervise these coaches? Do what you like ain't a system.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So, what is plan B to get rid of Garrett?

You mean what can I do as a fan? I don't think anything. It's up to Jerry to decide if and when Garrett's time is up.

I suppose fans could start picketing outside The Star and the stadium. but I don't know that would have an affect anyway, and I know it won't be me doing it.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That 13-3 was on Romo. (IMO) It's about Garrett not getting it done over the years with great teams and good talent. Garrett being Dallas' Marvin Lewis.

Romo did not help in that 13-3 season to game plan.
He was rehabbing yet another injury. It was Sanchez that helped Dak more than Tony,
And Romo was not creating game plans while recovering or I seriously doubt he was.

Romo helped in the game plan when he was the starter, because it involved him. That is with every QB. As they ask, hey, what do you like and can do best against this type of defense. As all teams do this.

Dre11

Reaction score
While I agree that Brady makes Bill look a lot better, the Patriots seem to be just fine when Brady isn't playing. Whatever QB they replace him with looks like the next Brady, until he ships off to a different team. It must be the system, and whether that's all on Bill or not, I don't know, but it doesn't seem like he's a complete slouch without a star QB.

With the exception of Cassell they look good for a game or two and then the fall off. The key here is that Brady doesn't get hurt that often

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
With the exception of Cassell they look good for a game or two and then the fall off. The key here is that Brady doesn't get hurt that often
Garappollo played pretty well when he had the opportunity too, albeit a short lived opportunity.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
Romo did not help in that 13-3 season to game plan.
He was rehabbing yet another injury. It was Sanchez that helped Dak more than Tony,
And Romo was not creating game plans while recovering or I seriously doubt he was.

Romo helped in the game plan when he was the starter, because it involved him. That is with every QB. As they ask, hey, what do you like and can do best against this type of defense. As all teams do this.
Romo was in on the game planning for years before the 13-3 season. I say when we lost Romo we list some good game planning. Because look at the years after Romo left. Dez let go. (Dez couldn't get open) They couldn't scheme him open? Linehan fired. Redzone struggles.

You believe what you believe and I'll believe what I believe. So let's agree to disagree.

But the fact still remains that Garrett sucks and Romo was a better game planner than Garrett. Romo leaves shut goes down hill. Hmm.