Can we afford Dak?

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
It is, but I don't think there are many QBs like Brady who have already made their money and have a supermodel wife. Hello Nurse!

LOL.... I think all the big time Vet QBs have made money and have Super Model Quality Wives Fur. I mean, that's what comes with playing QB in the NFL right? But more to the point, even if it's not 25, it's probably going to be less then 40 by a pretty good chunk.

To me, that's a very viable option for the Cowboys.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
LOL.... I think all the big time Vet QBs have made money and have Super Model Quality Wives Fur. I mean, that's what comes with playing QB in the NFL right? But more to the point, even if it's not 25, it's probably going to be less then 40 by a pretty good chunk.

To me, that's a very viable option for the Cowboys.

It is a viable option for sure. I do wonder, however, as some have indicated earlier, if Jerry and Dak already have a deal made, but are just playing poker face with it. They came very close last year to one, but the time ran out when Dak retook over the negotiating. Just because they can't sign the extension while he's on the tag doesn't mean they can't at least talk under the table. Perhaps that's what is going on here. Surely Jerry knows what he's got in Dak and knows the importance of a QB that knows the offense. Or at least I hope they have done that. It'd be the thing Jerry would do, wouldn't it?

Verdict

Reaction score
Given that the salary cap will drop to $175 Million, it will be interesting to see if the cowboys can afford to pay Dak his $37 million Franchise Tag. If he doesn't sign a deal that allows the team to lessen the cost for this year, the team would be hard pressed to not have to release some players just to say under the $175 Million cap.
Yes. And also no.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Let me explain it from a furry point of view. Because COVID has shut down in person furry conventions for a while, we have to use VR Chat to do virtual furry conventions and furmeets until we're cleared to attend an in person convention. The soonest such convention that we have on schedule is Anthrocon in Pittsburgh in July, which is very generous tbh. IF the local officials declare it unsafe to hold the convention in person, then that will likely go live, and that is currently still up in the air. We probably won't have an answer on that until probably April, but the registration has been open for a few weeks now. If that gets cancelled as an inperson convention, then the earliest we're looking at is maybe the fall or winter. The reason we use the virtual furry conventions is because it allows us to at least interact with other furries (which we can on social media, but not to the level that VR Chat allows at such an event) more than social media allows. It's not the same as the furry conventions that we love where we get the interpersonal interactions that we like and all the fun that comes from that, but it's better than nothing. Just the same, there may be fans who'd like to attend the game virtually at least to get the interaction and the feel of attending a game without being there. It would be quite fun, no? Actually having a virtual seat at AT&T Stadium and being able to cheer through your speakers. Not the same as attending it live, but it's better than nothing imo. And no, they shouldn't charge full price per say, but hey, I'd do that for $20 if that were what they'd charge. It's virtual, so there wouldn't be a limit on space, so $20 for each person would be quite reasonable imo. Plus, when you consider the package for NFL Sunday Ticket is approximately $18/week (https://www.reviews.org/tv-service/nfl-sunday-ticket-review/), it's not that much more and you get to virtually experience being in a stadium from your home. That'd be why I'd do that.

I'm sorry and might just be me but choosing to watch a game on your computer or phone that can be seen on your TV make less than zero sense to me. With no fans they piped in prerecorded crowd noise. If I want interact with someone while watching the game I pick up my phone and call them while watching the game. I get it that some people want to try to incorporate every new thing that comes along, but some of it just really isn't reasonable for everything and I'm afraid that this is one of those things. First off with your virtual connection all you will see is what is going on down on the field so you really won't know or see who else is there to interact with. I read an article where this guy was saying that there should be some way for fans to be able to agree or disagree with calls made on the field and do that live so the teams and refs could see that,. That would be a big technical advancement but that really doesn't fit the NFL. Again I seriously doubt that the NFL will do that because there just isn't enough people that will pay for something they can see for free, especially if it's watching it is on their 60" TV

Loso86

Reaction score
Given that the salary cap will drop to $175 Million, it will be interesting to see if the cowboys can afford to pay Dak his $37 million Franchise Tag. If he doesn't sign a deal that allows the team to lessen the cost for this year, the team would be hard pressed to not have to release some players just to say under the $175 Million cap.
Not on a tag no. That's why we need a deal

visionary

Reaction score

no we can’t

basel90

Reaction score
Is there any proof it works with him?

We have 1 wildcard win in 5 seasons.

Imo, he’s not a difference maker.

If you move a truly elite QB to another team I think you get better results over a 5 year period then that.

Paying for an elite player and not having an elite player is a good way to be mediocre.
very true . Dak has had an unbelievably lucky situation with the cowboys and could not get the results needed.
He lucked into a starting position when romo got injured
Benefited from the prime period of a top OL , RB ,WR powerhouse

Yet , despite the nice stats in many easy games, the reality is he is deficient in reading defenses and got rattled in too many games against good and bad teams ( jets, bears etc etc). He also has accuracy issues and his running game is not special either.

Bottom line , he is good but not a proven commodity to be paid guaranteedd 37-40 mil for 4-5 years. As stephen said on so many calls on the radio " what dak is missing is a super bowl from his resume". Heck , dak is also missing playoff wins or even a CCG appearance.

Conclusion: he needs to take 30-35 or be traded . This team has many holes on D and O to afford an unproven QB. In fact , jerry would have gotten to the CCG this year if he had acquired brady for 26 mil. Jerry can still get an elite QB like rogers or Watson and be in a better shape QB wise.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I'm sorry and might just be me but choosing to watch a game on your computer or phone that can be seen on your TV make less than zero sense to me. With no fans they piped in prerecorded crowd noise. If I want interact with someone while watching the game I pick up my phone and call them while watching the game. I get it that some people want to try to incorporate every new thing that comes along, but some of it just really isn't reasonable for everything and I'm afraid that this is one of those things. First off with your virtual connection all you will see is what is going on down on the field so you really won't know or see who else is there to interact with. I read an article where this guy was saying that there should be some way for fans to be able to agree or disagree with calls made on the field and do that live so the teams and refs could see that,. That would be a big technical advancement but that really doesn't fit the NFL. Again I seriously doubt that the NFL will do that because there just isn't enough people that will pay for something they can see for free, especially if it's watching it is on their 60" TV

Well, in general, VR Chat has a lot of free things. Most of what you do is free on there. The system itself is free. However, some of the conventions that they have on there you have to pay for. Also, with a virtual connection, you're connected to others watching virtually. In essence, your avatar is right next to an avatar. During the normal course of play on VR Chat, for example, you walk around with other users and can do things such as fly planes in the game, go up an escalator, basically anything you can do in real life but just on the computer. I've quickly learned, since playing VR Chat, to never underestimate what they can do in VR. It's really amazing everything that they have in VR. So, you'd be at the game being able to watch a live feed of the game (which is where the $20 is reasonable to be able to get the live feed of the game to those watching virtually) with your avatar right next to another user. And, because it's VR, you can move around the stadium unless the game forces you to remain in your particular seat. Either way, you'd be able to verbally communicate with the other user through the VR Chat system. Imagine, for example, you using a Tom Landry-looking avatar being able to talk to me while I'm in one of the characters I use on that. It'd be fun. That would be another part of the reason that it'd be worth the money is seeing the creative avatars people use to support their teams and the wide variety that you'll find. I could see the NFL at least experimenting with it for a little while. They had the virtual fans on MNF and during the draft. This would be a step above that by allowing you to actually have virtual fans in the stadium with avatars as though they were really in the stadium.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
It is a viable option for sure. I do wonder, however, as some have indicated earlier, if Jerry and Dak already have a deal made, but are just playing poker face with it. They came very close last year to one, but the time ran out when Dak retook over the negotiating. Just because they can't sign the extension while he's on the tag doesn't mean they can't at least talk under the table. Perhaps that's what is going on here. Surely Jerry knows what he's got in Dak and knows the importance of a QB that knows the offense. Or at least I hope they have done that. It'd be the thing Jerry would do, wouldn't it?

Well, that's what makes me think that they don't, to be honest. In my business, I deal with contracts all the time. A lot of times, it comes down to the wire on things like funding, process and contracting arm itself. A lot of last minute deals that need to happen for a variety of reasons. In situations like that, we look at contingencies and we develop contracts for all options. The reason we do that is because we never know how much time or what might change so we are prepared if certain details change.

I don't buy that one of the best agents in the world was unprepared and that they ran out of time because of the paperwork. This is exactly why you pay a premium for those agents. You don't pay that kind of money, agree to give up the kind of cut you pay to those guys so that they can be unprepared, especially when those contract offers had been on the table since early summer. I just don't believe any of that, to be honest but hey, I guess it's a story so it helps save face.

I honestly believe, more an more every day, that Dak and his team have not wanted to sign a deal with Dallas. I think they've been stalling and waiting out the team to try and get them to where we are now. The team will not tag Dak, IMO, beyond this upcoming season. That will basically make him an UFA if we can't work out a trade or a deal but, that becomes much more difficult if we wait.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Well, that's what makes me think that they don't, to be honest. In my business, I deal with contracts all the time. A lot of times, it comes down to the wire on things like funding, process and contracting arm itself. A lot of last minute deals that need to happen for a variety of reasons. In situations like that, we look at contingencies and we develop contracts for all options. The reason we do that is because we never know how much time or what might change so we are prepared if certain details change.

I don't buy that one of the best agents in the world was unprepared and that they ran out of time because of the paperwork. This is exactly why you pay a premium for those agents. You don't pay that kind of money, agree to give up the kind of cut you pay to those guys so that they can be unprepared, especially when those contract offers had been on the table since early summer. I just don't believe any of that, to be honest but hey, I guess it's a story so it helps save face.

I honestly believe, more an more every day, that Dak and his team have not wanted to sign a deal with Dallas. I think they've been stalling and waiting out the team to try and get them to where we are now. The team will not tag Dak, IMO, beyond this upcoming season. That will basically make him an UFA if we can't work out a trade or a deal but, that becomes much more difficult if we wait.

I agree with you in the sense that the longer we wait, the probability of us keeping Dak goes down unless there's a deal already in place. I just don't know what all was going on between Dak and Todd and the FO. For the reasons I've laid out in my thread about 2000-2006, I hope that Jerry is looking at valid veteran QB options because if this goes sideways with Dak, they better have a viable option and quickly. Fish or cut bait quickly because the best available QBs won't be available for long.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Is there any proof it works with him?

We have 1 wildcard win in 5 seasons.

Imo, he’s not a difference maker.

If you move a truly elite QB to another team I think you get better results over a 5 year period then that.

Paying for an elite player and not having an elite player is a good way to be mediocre.
By this standard Peyton Manning and Brees were a waste of time. Peyton didn't win his first playoff game until his 6th season, and Brees didn't win his first playoff game until his 5th season, and his second one until his 9th season.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
By this standard Peyton Manning and Brees were a waste of time. Peyton didn't win his first playoff game until his 6th season, and Bees didn't win his first playoff game until his 5th season, and his second one until his 9th season.

Can you imagine the reaction on the board if Dak goes to, say Los Angeles or Chicago, and ends up with the success that Brees has had in New Orleans?

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Well, in general, VR Chat has a lot of free things. Most of what you do is free on there. The system itself is free. However, some of the conventions that they have on there you have to pay for. Also, with a virtual connection, you're connected to others watching virtually. In essence, your avatar is right next to an avatar. During the normal course of play on VR Chat, for example, you walk around with other users and can do things such as fly planes in the game, go up an escalator, basically anything you can do in real life but just on the computer. I've quickly learned, since playing VR Chat, to never underestimate what they can do in VR. It's really amazing everything that they have in VR. So, you'd be at the game being able to watch a live feed of the game (which is where the $20 is reasonable to be able to get the live feed of the game to those watching virtually) with your avatar right next to another user. And, because it's VR, you can move around the stadium unless the game forces you to remain in your particular seat. Either way, you'd be able to verbally communicate with the other user through the VR Chat system. Imagine, for example, you using a Tom Landry-looking avatar being able to talk to me while I'm in one of the characters I use on that. It'd be fun. That would be another part of the reason that it'd be worth the money is seeing the creative avatars people use to support their teams and the wide variety that you'll find. I could see the NFL at least experimenting with it for a little while. They had the virtual fans on MNF and during the draft. This would be a step above that by allowing you to actually have virtual fans in the stadium with avatars as though they were really in the stadium.

So let me get this straight that on a VR Chat there would be an avatar of the people using VR Chat to watch a game and if this worked as well as you think it will than there could be 10,000 avatars of the people there on VR Chat on your screen. How do you see the game then with all those avatars? Next there would have to be a zillion different cameras so when someone on VR Chat wants to go to the john at the same time another wants to go below and get something to eat. so all of you on your VR Chat can do your virtual walk around. There just isn't any way you're going to convince me that the NFL are going to have VR Chat for games.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
I just can’t accept it.

Just saying well what can you do and move on to sign him and be mediocre?

I just can’t. That’s some status quo country club mentality that I can’t accept.

Shoot for the moon or fall on your face trying.. That’s what NFL teams should be doing.

If you’re just happy being the most valuable franchise in pro sports then go ahead and continue down the path of mediocrity but Dallas needs to get back in the business of setting trends and get out of the business of following the “smart decisions” these fools have collectively done with QB contracts.

They did the Zeke deal.. Foolish.. Had to do it though thanks to the stupid Rams.

Lawrence? Horrible value..

Jaylon? Terrible.. I like that they gambled by doing the deal early but my gosh is that deal horrible.

Amari Cooper? Great player but 20 million a year? Yuck.

Letting Byron Jones walk? Yuck.
All bad decisions, bad contracts, I can live with the Cooper contract, at least he can produce when given the opportunity.
This franchise once upon a time used to be the deal makers that the rest of the league attempted to copy, but now Jerry follows other bad contracts from all the examples you gave like the Rams and Gurley,, like a dog sniffing other dogs business.
When you sign that many players to bad "franchise player" type contracts there is no moving forward, you get stuck in the mud.
Guys like Gallimore I think we hit on and thats big for the defense, but continuing down this road of paying for false franchise types, eventually leads to losing potentially great players like Gallimore down the road.
Byron Jones is an example of this.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Can you imagine the reaction on the board if Dak goes to, say Los Angeles or Chicago, and ends up with the success that Brees has had in New Orleans?
I'm sure some of the Dak detractors would turn on Jerry and say he should have seen what he had.

That said, I'm not saying Dak is the same level as Brees or Peyton, just saying the playoff wins early in a career clearly don't tell the whole story, and there is more that contributes to team success than just who the QB is.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I agree with you in the sense that the longer we wait, the probability of us keeping Dak goes down unless there's a deal already in place. I just don't know what all was going on between Dak and Todd and the FO. For the reasons I've laid out in my thread about 2000-2006, I hope that Jerry is looking at valid veteran QB options because if this goes sideways with Dak, they better have a viable option and quickly. Fish or cut bait quickly because the best available QBs won't be available for long.

It's true, those QBs will gone quickly. I honestly thought that we should have tried to keep Dalton but that's just me. Oh well......

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
So let me get this straight that on a VR Chat there would be an avatar of the people using VR Chat to watch a game and if this worked as well as you think it will than there could be 10,000 avatars of the people there on VR Chat on your screen. How do you see the game then with all those avatars? Next there would have to be a zillion different cameras so when someone on VR Chat wants to go to the john at the same time another wants to go below and get something to eat. so all of you on your VR Chat can do your virtual walk around. There just isn't any way you're going to convince me that the NFL are going to have VR Chat for games.

Fair enough, I suppose we'll have to agree to disagree. I think the best way to do that is to sort of have the avatars side by side to one another in a bit of a staggered configuration. As for using the toilets and eating, the avatars don't need either of those. If you decide to use the restroom, your avatar just stays put.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I'm sure some of the Dak detractors would turn on Jerry and say he should have seen what he had.

That said, I'm not saying Dak is the same level as Brees or Peyton, just saying the playoff wins early in a career clearly don't tell the whole story, and there is more that contributes to team success than just who the QB is.

I'd expect so. I'd expect that the ones who make their posting fun on ripping on Dak would be the first ones slamming Jerry for not extending Dak if that happens. And I'm not saying he's on the same level as either of those either. I'm just saying imagine if that were to happen. I am fully onboard pointing out that there is far more to a successful team than just who the QB has. If you have a QB like Dak who's a solid QB who, imo, is on the cusp of becoming elite with the way he's developing, then that certainly gives you quite the edge, but you still have to have a good team to help him on all phases. We finally have the punter sorted out with Niswander (but I'd still love to bring in one of the Japanese kickers that I have talked about for competition) and Zurlein is an adequate kicker. Once we get our KR to stop returning the ball when it's in the endzone since they never make it to the 25, we'll have special teams sorted out. We have weapons on offence. Other than some oline issues, that side of the ball is sorted. The only side of the ball that is keeping us dragged down is defence which has been the problem for ages and has progressively gotten worse. If we get that to at least average, I think we'll be able to have a successful team.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
It's true, those QBs will gone quickly. I honestly thought that we should have tried to keep Dalton but that's just me. Oh well......

I'm not against that, but I don't know how much he'd cost. Plus, the FO aren't really big spenders in FA to begin with. I'd honestly be shocked if we were to sign any adequate QB in the FA with how little they tend to spend.