Could Cooper Rush be the catalyst that helps Trey Lance really become "the guy"?

DuncanIso

Reaction score
The biggest problem rush has is his noticeably weak arm strength. Plenty of QBs don't have great arms, but not to this extent. You can't have arc on a 15 yard out pattern. That's what's holding him back.
Rush isn’t a full time starter.

That’s not his gig.

He’s the ultimate relief QB.

He will get you a win.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
A player with potential, possibly, that was injured and has not had much of an opportunity yet.
Don't act like he has had 3 years of complete experience.
so let the excuses begin? what have you seen from him in the time he played in NFL that gives any indication of his potential?

but a top 3 pick. talented supposedly, 3 years in the league. hasn't shown squat. got traded for peanuts. has potantial to be what?

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
He took the QB1 job from JimmyG.

There’s going to be a lot of upset Dak fans.
and where is Jimmy G? and where did Jimmy G rank in the annals of QBs in the league?

and perhaps he was given the QB1 job because he was the top 3 pick? as opposed to taking the job. and then I guess he didn't show anything and somebody else took it from him? what does that say about Lance?

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
so let the excuses begin? what have you seen from him in the time he played in NFL that gives any indication of his potential?

but a top 3 pick. talented supposedly, 3 years in the league. hasn't shown squat. got traded for peanuts. has potantial to be what?
To be Dak's replacement. That is what it really comes down to.

Flamma

Reaction score

It's not what they've seen that shows potential, it's what they haven't seen that suggests potential. What did he play, 3 games for the 49ers?

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
actually I give the defense credit. I want to know how we can get a defense to play like that and give up 13 points a game.

if we find the answer to that, then I will throw my name in the hat for the cowboys QB. I can get the team to a CCG then.
Everyone gets the credit right? Including Coop...okay?

Coop played well enough to allow the defense to flourish.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
LOL. thanks for the laugh. I needed it.

Lance couldn't take Rush's job. now he is going to take Dak's job.

well, on the positive side, a top 5 pick would be good.
*IF* he plays well enough, yes. And that should elate you. Somehow I have the feeling you'll be sad.

NotForLong

Reaction score
He played great, for a backup who is not a starter level player. Lets look at his game by game numbers just to prove that really quickly.

Eagles: 18-38, 181 yds, 1TD, 3 INTs, 4.8 Y/PA (yards per attempt)
Rams: 10-16 , 102yds, 6.4 yards per attempt
Washington: 15-27 223 yards, 2TDs, 8.3 Y/PA
Giants: 21-31, 215 yards, 1 TD, 6.9 Y/PA
Bengals: 19-31, 235 yards, 1 TD, 7.6 Y/PA

So lets take out great immediately because you would not call a single one of those lines great. The only game in that bunch that would you say is good is the Giants line and even then the limited yards quickly shows his limitations pushing it down the field. The illusion that he played great is one of the funniest things to me when the games were televised and we could watch them and then after look at the numbers.
I do not cre bout stats. He played great as opposed to Dak in the playoffs.

Go pull up Daks stats in the playoffs yet he sucks

shabazz

Reaction score
That’s the hope for a lot of haters.

Unfortunately, there only hope is another freak injury.
I'm not sure why anybody that doesn't pose a threat would be hated, but I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

I'm more of a doubter but it's because of the obvious.....Shanahan couldn't develop him in a qb friendly environment.

Personally I hope he turns out to be a success for the Cowboys.....as we all should

leeblair

Reaction score
what? you are putting your eggs in Trey Lance!? why? what has he done for anyone to think he is capable of being anything good? one example would do.

Trey lance is much much much closer to a bust than saving the cowboys.

but I am going to remember this post. just like Tashard Choice........

too funny
Dak leaving will save the Cowboys.
Whoever comes next will start the recovery.

leeblair

Reaction score
so now the Rush spin begins. it was Michael Gallup. not the three interceptions he threw. got it :thumbup:

fact. the first time a team scored more than 20 points on the cowboys, we lost.
Yeah, it had nothing to do with the bad call that stopped a drive, and nothing to do with Gallup's alligator arms and how he didn't fight for the ball.
And it certainly had nothing to do with the defense allowing the Eagles to run out the clock and possess the ball in the second half so that the Cowboys offense didn't get the ball.
As usual you want it to be Rush’s fault completely, as if no other quarterback ever lost a game.
Rush outplayed Dak; it's that simple.

Chasing6

Reaction score
He played great, for a backup who is not a starter level player. Lets look at his game by game numbers just to prove that really quickly.

Eagles: 18-38, 181 yds, 1TD, 3 INTs, 4.8 Y/PA (yards per attempt)
Rams: 10-16 , 102yds, 6.4 yards per attempt
Washington: 15-27 223 yards, 2TDs, 8.3 Y/PA
Giants: 21-31, 215 yards, 1 TD, 6.9 Y/PA
Bengals: 19-31, 235 yards, 1 TD, 7.6 Y/PA

So lets take out great immediately because you would not call a single one of those lines great. The only game in that bunch that would you say is good is the Giants line and even then the limited yards quickly shows his limitations pushing it down the field. The illusion that he played great is one of the funniest things to me when the games were televised and we could watch them and then after look at the numbers.
Kinda looks a lot like Troy Aikman numbers.

Troy averaged 200 yards per game, 1 TD and .85 Int.'s per game for his career.

Last edited:

Adreme

Reaction score
Kinda looks a lot like Troy Aikman numbers.

Troy averaged 200 yards per game, 1 TD and .85 Int.'s per game for his career.
Which is a good lesson in how numbers have gone up over time. Just in the past 15 years the average numbers for a QB have gone up in multiple ways. Average completion % is up 6-7%, rating is up about 15, and INTs are down and that is just the past 15 years. The game of football has changed since the 90s and trying to play like its the 90s will just lead to you failing against teams with a modern offense. Its the reason, as an example, that the all time passing yards list is the way it is. The top 10 is all people who played this century, and Dan Marino.

Adreme

Reaction score
I do not cre bout stats. He played great as opposed to Dak in the playoffs.

Go pull up Daks stats in the playoffs yet he sucks
"I want this to be true so I dont care about how there is no evidence to back my claim and am going to ignore all evidence that disproves it". By every metric he played poorly unless the metric "good for a backup with a limited skillset".

I find it funny how when the stats do not back up what you want to be true, your decision is something must be wrong with the numbers versus your worldview. When GMs, coaches, and scouts, rank Dak as a top 10 QB (and Rush outside of the top 30 so probably somewhere in the 40s at best), you want to believe that there is grand conspiracy versus maybe the people who evaluate film and players for a living might be smart enough to recognize a simple fact that you are incapable of doing: Dak is a top 10 QB and Cooper Rush is an extremely limited QB whose skillset prevents him from being a starter. He is a good backup because you want your backup to have all of the mental game of a start which he does but he simply lacks the arm and the accuracy to succeed in the NFL.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Which is a good lesson in how numbers have gone up over time. Just in the past 15 years the average numbers for a QB have gone up in multiple ways. Average completion % is up 6-7%, rating is up about 15, and INTs are down and that is just the past 15 years. The game of football has changed since the 90s and trying to play like its the 90s will just lead to you failing against teams with a modern offense. Its the reason, as an example, that the all time passing yards list is the way it is. The top 10 is all people who played this century, and Dan Marino.
Go head and compare those numbers to QB's in his era.

Top 10 played 15+ years

TheCritic

Reaction score
Rush isn’t a starter.

He’s a ‘relief pitcher.’

He gets the win.

He’s very good at that role.
Nope...he got exposed against the Eagles when he was forced to play from behind. He's had some success, I'll give him credit. But he maxed out his potential and it was long overdue for the Cowboys to develop a backup that can potentially evolve into an NFL starter. Nothing against Dak but rather ALL teams should make developing a QB that can be a viable replacement. Why should the Cowboys be any different?

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm not sure why anybody that doesn't pose a threat would be hated, but I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

I'm more of a doubter but it's because of the obvious.....Shanahan couldn't develop him in a qb friendly environment.

Personally I hope he turns out to be a success for the Cowboys.....as we all should
"couldn't" and "didn;t have to" are completely different things.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Nope...he got exposed against the Eagles when he was forced to play from behind. He's had some success, I'll give him credit. But he maxed out his potential and it was long overdue for the Cowboys to develop a backup that can potentially evolve into an NFL starter. Nothing against Dak but rather ALL teams should make developing a QB that can be a viable replacement. Why should the Cowboys be any different?
Yes...most teams have a next man up mentality.

Some fans HERE... seem to be offended by it.

TheCritic

Reaction score
Dak leaving will save the Cowboys.
Whoever comes next will start the recovery.
While I would to see Trey Lance be an NFL success story, I'd like to see him beat out Cooper Rush first. One step at a time!