***Cowboys Chris (aka Quarterback Coach) Mega Thread***

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
My favorite part of that USA Today article:

Also, this is one more reason that moms, you shouldn't let your sons grow up to be sports reporters.

:lmao:

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
theebs;2500434 said:
what glass house would that be?

The one that he's been claiming everyone that disagrees with him lives in.

It's a very big house.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
tomson75;2500438 said:
The one that he's been claiming everyone that disagrees with him lives in.

It's a very big house.

It appears to be a dormitory... :rolleyes:

theebs;2500439 said:
oh.

Well that makes alot of sense. Thanks.

YW

Muhast

Newo
Reaction score
dbair1967;2497141 said:
That video is hilarious. Jerruh should give him sideline passes or something.

he should replace Simon on american idol " Your an embarrassment!"

LeonDixson

Illegitimi non carborundum
Reaction score
Theebs, I haven't posted much about this Werder thing, and just so you know my position on Owens; I despise the person that is Terrell Owens. I root for him as a Cowboys player because any success he has helps the Cowboys, but that's as far as it goes. So on to my question and some food for thought for you.

Since Werder has had such access to all the players, coaches, and front office for so many years, wouldn't he have all sorts of meaningful positive things he could have reported on? Couldn't his story line have been "I've talked to a lot of Cowboys and I can tell you they are ready to make a run for and during the playoffs because they no longer have a sense of entitlement"?

Why does he have to report that receivers who want the ball more met with the OC, which happens on every single team in the NFL on a regular basis? That's not news. The thing that made it headline material was his report that Owens thinks Romo and Witten are making up secret plays that result in him not getting enough balls thrown his way. And that's the very point that a lot of people find hard to believe. (I personally don't find it that hard to believe because of my belief that he is a paranoid, egomaniac.) Compounding the issue is the fact that that assertion is just someone elses opinion on the team. It can't be proven as fact unless Owes made that statement to someone who then leaked it to Werder.

At any rate, why does he have to sensationalize a non-story with a sensationalistic twist which had the potential to really distract and harm the team that gives him such free access to them, instead of a more positive report. The local reporters already have the negative stuff covered to the point that I believe they feel they get bonus points if they can create a distraction for the team.

I don't blame fans like Cowboy Chris or any other for heckling him. Nor do I blame the team for shutting him out Sunday night if that's what happened. If he's going to let his dislike of Owens shape his reporting at the expense of the rest of team, then screw him.

I'm not asking for him to be a cheerleader but, heck running with a far-fetched (in most peoples eyes) accusation based on the personal opinion of one or two players does not show a lot of journalistic integrity.

silver

Reaction score
theebs;2500252 said:
Now because the head coach was joking about it after the game sunday, which I find extremely arrogant and short sighted and because owens is going to continue to use ed's name and whine this will never go away.

Great post. I couldn't agree more. I believe Wade is gone regardless if he wins the super bowl or fails to make the playoffs. He's got nothing to lose. You're right about Werder, he was a well respected writer for a long time before this mess started. Same with TO, he can be a child. But as long as we win we can put up with his antics. As soon as we lose a game in the future and TO won't hear the end of it. If we don't lose another game this season and postseason, TO will walk on water. We lose and he'll get nailed in the cross. Mark Stepnoski once said: it's never as good nor as bad as everybody make it seem to be (something to that effect, after we snapped a losing streak). The truth lies somewhere in between. We weren't that bad after the Pitt game and we're not that good after the Giants game. we still have ways to go.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
LeonDixson;2500460 said:
Theebs, I haven't posted much about this Werder thing, and just so you know my position on Owens; I despise the person that is Terrell Owens. I root for him as a Cowboys player because any success he has helps the Cowboys, but that's as far as it goes. So on to my question and some food for thought for you.

Since Werder has had such access to all the players, coaches, and front office for so many years, wouldn't he have all sorts of meaningful positive things he could have reported on? Couldn't his story line have been "I've talked to a lot of Cowboys and I can tell you they are ready to make a run for and during the playoffs because they no longer have a sense of entitlement"?

Why does he have to report that receivers who want the ball more met with the OC, which happens on every single team in the NFL on a regular basis? That's not news. The thing that made it headline material was his report that Owens thinks Romo and Witten are making up secret plays that result in him not getting enough balls thrown his way. And that's the very point that a lot of people find hard to believe. (I personally don't find it that hard to believe because of my belief that he is a paranoid, egomaniac.) Compounding the issue is the fact that that assertion is just someone elses opinion on the team. It can't be proven as fact unless Owes made that statement to someone who then leaked it to Werder.

At any rate, why does he have to sensationalize a non-story with a sensationalistic twist which had the potential to really distract and harm the team that gives him such free access to them, instead of a more positive report. The local reporters already have the negative stuff covered to the point that I believe they feel they get bonus points if they can create a distraction for the team.

I don't blame fans like Cowboy Chris or any other for heckling him. Nor do I blame the team for shutting him out Sunday night if that's what happened. If he's going to let his dislike of Owens shape his reporting at the expense of the rest of team, then screw him.

I'm not asking for him to be a cheerleader but, heck running with a far-fetched (in most peoples eyes) accusation based on the personal opinion of one or two players does not show a lot of journalistic integrity.

Level headed fans like you rock.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
LeonDixson;2500460 said:

I agree with you. He works for espn. Espn has decided it wants to be a particular way. IN october of 2006 the man who ran ESPN mark shapiro, resigned and went to work for Daniel Snyder running I think six flags or something.

Since that time espns programming has been shifted. Doctor32 who posts here, was explaining alot about the workings of espn since then. He knows a couple of producers and other employees who do and have worked for espn. Doctor 32 has been the lead editor on a coupld top ten all time segments of espns programming. He cut basically by himself the top 10 players in ncaa tournament history......

anyway, He told me they stopped putting time and money into legit reporting like outside the lines and the other serious shows they had in their lineup and have gone completely to the sensationalistic side. That is why rome is there and that is why every bit of programming is littered with stephen a smith and sean salisbury screaming how people suck etc.....

its a philosophy change at the top and everyone else has to fall in line.

Ed werder included. Like I said in my previous post, Ed is guilty of pushing owens buttons and owens is guilty of falling for it everytime and being an egomaniac.

I have said a million times, there are a ton of things to love about this team, there are a ton of good people and good stories to tell on this team. But its not what they are looking for.

and in the end we all lose. That is why I rarely watch the station, that stuff just doesnt interest me. I want to read and here about football.

Now with all this crap, especially that basically war has been declared from both sides and this will never go away, it will get worse. Wait till we go to philly for a do or die game and they start with the mcnabb-owens stuff.

or wait till the ravens defense holds us down and irvin and sanders are in the house and they start with the "they need to throw it to owens more" crap.

Wade phillips went and put gas on the fire also by making light of the situation.

LarryCanadian

Reaction score
I think theebs post was excellent. And it sounds like you have a bunch of inside perspective that someone thousands of miles away can't have.

I just can't believe an athlete or coach would trust anyone or "like" anyone from the media though. I'm not saying I don't believe you, what I'm saying is that I think it is naive for an althlete or coach to be that open with the media. I realize fans take this stuff way too seriously and that coaches ignore it for the most part, but to say this stuff can't have some affect I don't agree with.

Someone like TO strikes me as having a very fragile (yet large) ego. I think the guy is seriously sensitive and cares very much about how he is portrayed and probably more importantly how much he is portrayed. Same with Jerry, who apparently is on record for saying he likes this attention and scrutiny even if it's somewhat distracting or "negative". It's the Boy's in the news on a large stage/scale.

Some players can't stand it though (Oline, Barber, etc) and since everyone is human feelings can get ruffled. I believe there is some smoke with respect to WR's, how much TO is forced the ball, how much Witten is trusted and how comfortable he and Romo are. Remember, these are often young men with little experience in this arena. To think that internation and national media attention that may be inaccurate don't affect them is a bit of a leap. Now take stories that get sensationalized or someone who doesn't have a thick skin gets constantly pummelled and I feel that this affects athletes.

When a guy like Werder has one or two questions he can ask in a press conference or down on the field and he decides to ask a question similar to "do you think Witten gets thrown to too often" instead of, "what happened on that first interception where Romo threw to you down the left sideline", which one is important to a football fan? Probably both, but I think one is slimy and leading and one is more football related and journalistically sound. Both are "tough" questions. Maybe they aren't great examples, but I think you get my meaning. Just my opinion. I think the ESPN guys would rather ask the soap operal questions than, a question like, "how often does Gurode practice the shotgun snap, and is there any particular reason (sweaty hands, cold weather, etc) that it comes out like a lob?" Part of the problem is the fans are often just as guilty as the media, because we pay more attention to soap opera and not the "facts" or more meaty stuff.

Maybe I'm a cynic but I'd be sure as heck careful as to how comfy I'd be chatting with an Ed Werder down on the field (and I admit knowing nothing about him). Say the wrong thing and you could be out of a job or ruin your sports field reputation for a long time fair or not. I think a guy like Brian Stewart should not talk to a guy like that by choice. Stewarts job is on the line anyway, and for someone to accuse him of being a leak or a whiner behind the teams back would not do him any good.

It's the reporters job to get a story out, not to make the team or players look good, but do you really want your bad laundry or your weaknesses to be daily news? I wouldn't. I highly doubt Werder is a real "friend" even though I can't vouch for his professionalism, only give my opinion of how he comes across to me. I certainly don't think he should reveal sources as that is journalistic suicide.

Just some thoughts.

LarryCanadian

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
theebs;2500488 said:
and in the end we all lose. That is why I rarely watch the station, that stuff just doesnt interest me. I want to read and here about football.
I liked what Jerry said on his Ticket show this morning... He basically said it was just laziness for these reporters to focus on the soap opera side of things, and that the happenings on the field are just as interesting but it takes more effort to do those stories. He also that when he picked up the sports page, he wanted to read about the actual game. He said he can read about the people stories on the front page and rest of the paper.

Weird coming from "I love any and all attention Jerry", but at least it sounded good for him to say it.

BotchedLobotomy

Wide Right
Reaction score
some people....ahem.....theebs....are taking this way too seriously. The guy is having fun and enjoying his 15 mins of fame. Frankly, the holier than thou posts....ahem.......theebs, are pretty pathetic given the subject matter.

Reaction score
Honestly gang...we were having fun. Not breaking any laws. Just trying to give Ed a little of what he does to others. He writes to stri things up. I yelled to stir them up.

The guy is probably a good guy. Just IMO not a very good reporter. And it seems that this is a sentiment illustrated by A LOT OF FANS ON A LOT OF MESSAGE BOARDS...not just ours.

My frustration is a network that promotes the TO's and Keyshawn's and then slams them for ratings...BUSH LEAGUE period!

Oh and Colin...I don't want anyone to be me...be whoever, and cheer, or rant, to what they feel is right. Just don't cuss, touch, take people's families in to stuff, and anything else that does not deal with the job.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
RainMan;2500232 said:
I'm surprised that, through all of this, Werder never just walked over and tried to tell Chris his side of the story. Not in a confrontational way, but in a genuine sense. Nothing about who his sources are, but just a conversation about what his job is, why he can't reveal his sources, etc.

Everyone else in the prior video walked over but him. Is he afraid? Chris doesn't seem like he's threatening physical violence in any of this stuff. I don't know Chris personally, but I bet it'd make for a more peaceful environment and at least give Chris an ounce of respect for the guy.

I think the fact all of Werder's "handlers" came over last time -- one shouting and raving, nonetheless -- only added fuel to the fire.

Just my two cents.

Why should Werder or any other media guy or gal splain anything to guy who is yelling and interrupted his show or segment? It would just encourage any yahoo who wants his 15 minutes to harang other media personalities.