Cowboys decade-long track record of under-investing in team suggests that Jones family is not in it

Jarntt

Reaction score
I for one am glad they are letting a lot of these cap hits tick off against the cap this year instead of restructuring everyone to clear up a bunch of space and kicking the cap hits down the road. To me it lets us load up for next year (and yes I am naively expecting that). I like the reset year. What I don't like is our moron owner and his all in comments which obviously don't match his actions. Just shut up once in a while.

Sheepherder

Reaction score
No plan to build a winner? How about draft and develop? They have only won 37 games in the last 3 years. Who is incompetent here?
[/QUOT
No plan to build a winner? How about draft and develop? They have only won 37 games in the last 3 years. Who is incompetent here?
They are at the bottom of the league as far as getting just to nfc championship game. What does that tell you?
For the last 30 years. That's all I need to know.

Last edited:

plasticman

Reaction score
Hold up!

I just hate it when I am forced to defend the Jones's. There is enough to criticize without sports Jounalists misrepresenting the math and distorting the truth.

By contract, all teams must pay their players a specific percentage of the league's total revenue. If any of that money is not paid out then it is automatically rolled over to the next season.

The Jones's never made any secret of the fact that they were trying to rollover cap money in anticipation of future large contracts. This season, they rolled over almost 5 million dollars.

Every unanticipated increase in their total salaries means less money to roll over for the future. For example, Zack Matin's contract forced a reduction last season. Fair enough, good investment.

Any time the Cowboys must add a new "outside" player to the roster, like Jason Peters, the result is further reduction of that rollover amount.

Still, in the end, every team is going to be about equal. This is part of the NFL's bargaining agreement with the NFLPA.

805BoysInBlue

Reaction score
I worked in aerospace for 58 years on and off I think I’m a pilot so everyone aboard the good ship lollipop everyone gets a parachute but Rambo because I am an aerospace guy. Just have to laugh
:laugh: :lmao: :muttley:

Blast From The Past

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
You know its a good business when you invest few money and get a lot in return. Jerry keeps increasing the brand and having to spend no money on the teams besides the stadium and other entertainment inside of it.

He is a business man, not an NFL general manager. He cares about money and not about winning.

I have been saying this for long time, i can’t imagine a job that hasn’t showed positive results in almost 30 years and keep you employed.
I would like to think in the beginning ole Jerry wanted to win to bring money to his brand after all he was leveraged up the Yazoo at that time. But I think in my humble opinion Jerry decided to concentrate more on the brand than the on field talent. Running a business about football and profiting handsomely caused change and how could it not? The money became his personal mantra and keeping the Cowboys brand in the forefront of fans and haters alike suits Jerry to a T. Because the brand profits from both relevancy on the field and controversy off the field the same. Jerry talks a good game when he wants to as it is part of the overall plan to keep those dollars rolling in. Back to the money again ya see. The Super Bowls he won (cough,cough) are not even a memory for our younger fans. They see a organization that can't win that has let them down year after year. Jumping on the Chiefs, 49er's as their favorite teams is in itself understandable. I will hang around for ever myself because I have hope for change but time is a factor. And those Super Bowl trophies are a distant memory for me that I still relish but if we could harnish that young wildcatter Jerry who was really hungry for us to go out and get a Deion Sanders or sign a War Daddy defensive player like a Charles Haley to get us over the hump it would suffice but he doesn't do that anymore. So we watch and we root and we wait....till next season. Starting to sound like a Bears fan now. Whelp, with the new season I dare say is quickly looming on the horizon I am at least excited to see what they have assembled. Who knows they may be better than anyone thought. Go Cowboys!!!!!

Last edited:

Flamma

Reaction score
Look at the roster that they have now.
I don't dislike the roster. But this is not the front office that got Deion, T.O., and Charles Haley. They used to add players like that to an already good roster. They rarely even consider players like that anymore.

LOBO7

Reaction score
Nothing would help Jerry's brand more than winning another Super Bowl.
His failure is picking head coaches.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
They are running a business. Not a sports team. Profit is king. Titles come in a very distant second
The Cowboys have won the most important championship for the owners probably the last 20 years or so straight. The Cowboys lead the league every season in profit margins.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Told ya
They have won 37 games in the last 3 years.
she-said-the-thing-he-said-the-thing.gif

rambo2

Reaction score
You have to be Jerry or maybe his grandson it’s the only answer
No, it's the fans that don't realize how good the current team is and continue to crap on the team when they are in fact good.

rambo2

Reaction score
I don't dislike the roster. But this is not the front office that got Deion, T.O., and Charles Haley. They used to add players like that to an already good roster. They rarely even consider players like that anymore.
But they sign players like Diggs, Lamb, Martin, Dak, and Parsons.