CFZ Cowboys Do Not Need Dak

Haimerej

Reaction score
I don't know that people are complaining, I think folks know we're going to need more in the passing game going forward . I mean 102 yards passing in a passing league is putrid.

It got it done in this game.

Dre11

Reaction score
Yeah, and they've struggled against the run and I agree it's a long season. But my point was they're not giving up TDs. So drives that chew time and end up with 3 points or less aren't that big of an issue, if the offense keeps pace. They didn't in week 1 and it hasn't been an issue since then.

Funny enough, it was the consensus in week 1 that they abandoned the run too early. They stuck with it while having the lead nearly the whole game against one of the better defenses they'll face and you're criticizing them for it.

I'm not criticizing it, they need balance on offense ,I said the same in game 1.

Haimerej

Reaction score
I'm not criticizing it, they need balance on offense ,I said the same in game 1.

Eh... you said it was putrid. Sounds critical.

Just because they didn't today doesn't mean it won't catch up to them later.

Every game is it's own thing. Today they played a good defense and held the lead most of the game. A couple non-drops and those passing numbers would be higher but they didn't need to be.

Haimerej

Reaction score
Yes this game. I'm talking for the long haul. That's with either qb in the game, the offense has to be better and balanced.

Sure. But again, this game didn't have to be balanced. The defense got points early and the offense chewed clock and kept them fresh. Time of possession wasn't much of a factor due to being ahead nearly the whole game. The Rams basically got two possessions to start the game, which skews that ToP number.

kramskoi

Reaction score
It got it done in this game.
The defense gift-wrapped the first 9 points...so you could afford to play more conservatively. The Cowboys trailed for only 90 seconds of the game. Moreover, they rolled out a reasonably strong ground game Sunday. Smart football. Parcells type football. Don't beat yourself and play great defense.

Do you worry about Rush in a shoot-out? Absolutely. For that, I trust him less than Prescott, who HAS shown that he can put up the points when needed.

But...it is now clear that once Prescott returns we will get to see, straight up, the difference between himself and his backup. He can't hide anymore. I'm pulling for him, but whatever possessed him in game one needs to be permanently exorcised. If he can add seven points per game to the offense then the Cowboys can "go places" this year (with a pretty salty defense).

Last edited:

zerofill

Reaction score
The Cowboys need better than Rush and Dak.

Neither guy is the answer at QB.

Eventually we're going to need the offense to step up and I don't trust either guy to do it when it matters.

At least with Rush you have the unknown. We know what we have with Dak.
jFxSm

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
Time will tell remember it is still only his 5th start

Remember what Parcells said about anointing oil lol…. Rush has done well, limited his mistakes, and benefited from an amazing D.

This is still the same QB that has been cut multiple times and was out of the league not that long ago. I don’t think he has somehow morphed into the second coming of Tom Brady lol

Blackrain

Reaction score
Isn't he paid to play at that level, as the bar?

They can do better with more money spent on bigger needs.

Maybe Cooper needs to call sleep number, and prove who's getting better rested prior to game time.
Sure he's paid to play like Peyton Manning but he has been injured so in all fairness we have to let him recover before we can expect him to play like that.

Blackrain

Reaction score
A conservative run first, under center play action plan worked for him in 2016. May want to go back to it. I believe that he checks to pass plays pretty often when he can tell that it will be 3-4 yards and a cloud of dust run play. Those runs lead to more favorable looks though.

I totally agree he may be able to play with a little less conservative game plan than Cooper Rush but a far more conservative game plan then he has been playing with.

I think teams bait him into passing and doing what they want him to do because he has the freedom to change plays.

Fastpitch Dad

Reaction score
The problem is that there will be games where we will need to ask much more from the QB than that.

I am neither a Dak hater, nor a defender. He is what he is: a top 10-12 QB in the NFL that has hit a rough patch going back to the midpoint of last year.

But he is objectively a more dangerous QB than Rush.
I think you are fair when it has come to the Dak debates over the years. You've always seemed pretty even-keeled in my opinion.

The only problem I see is we don't know how Rush will respond until they ask him to do more. He did lead two drives to win games. I know that's not the same as being down two scores in the fourth, but until he's needed to do it, we won't know.

I do think all this talk is moot though. No matter how many Coop wins it's Dak's job when he is ready. I think most folks know that, whether they want to believe it is another matter. I also believe Jerry is lurking and will not have Dak available for the Eagles game. I also believe that if Dak was ready for the Rams, Jerry would have said no.

With the team winning, I don't believe Jerry would expose Dak to a potential loss. Not saying Dak would lose, just my opinion Jerry has the luxury of making the transition back to Dak as favorable as he can. Jerry wants no part of a QB controversy.

muck4doo

Least-Known Member
Reaction score
Currently. The defense and special teams have been so good that the Cowboys are going very conservative with the game plan. Cooper is doing enough to keep the wins coming. Would have been 12/16 without the drops and possibly a lot more points. He has delivered some critical throws throughout this run. He was not bad or pathetic-the team did not ask him to pass much. Rush is still unproven though.

When Dak gets his job back, he will not have the luxury of blaming the coaches or defense or offensive line or receivers. Obviously, the team can perform just fine with the current team assets. Just win in the big games and especially January/February. That’s how you earn the respect so many fans here want others to bestow on the QB.

Things I did notice that affected the offense. Aaron Donald is really good (sorry Tyler Smith). Tony pollard is a fantastic runner, but a liability in blitz pickups. The team made some penalties that killed drives. The Cowboys did not want to risk a turnover to the point of not calling longer developing pass plays. Tried to kill the clock by running it later in the game. Will see what happens with Philly-hope Rush gets another start for more data and more of a feel for how he responds to even more pressure.
LOL! He is serious!

CCBoy

Reaction score
I suppose you can call the past 2 Super Bowl winners trash. And the 4-1 Giants who just had an impressive win vs Green Bay. Lol
Don't worry, that's a helll of an endorsement for the rest of the team.

Dre11

Reaction score
Sure. But again, this game didn't have to be balanced. The defense got points early and the offense chewed clock and kept them fresh. Time of possession wasn't much of a factor due to being ahead nearly the whole game. The Rams basically got two possessions to start the game, which skews that ToP number.

Again, I said this game it worked, its not going to continue, what happens when. The defense has a bad game?

starfan1

Reaction score
Yea we need all of what Dak provided for us against San Fran!
And what did Green Bay accomplish the following week against them? You guys continue to use his last 2 outings as examples as to why rush should start and not Dak but dismiss the other factors like they are the 2 top defenses in league

yes Dak is qb and needs to know how much time is on clock but 14 penalties and a suspect run defense

Against Tampa this year Dak was putrid but collectively the rest of team was as well for someone who has spent years beating the Romo didn’t have defense or line drum when he needed it surely should be able to see the team game game factor?

I do however appreciate rushs ability to not screw things up but if you look at these 2 qbs and don’t see much a difference than I don’t know what to tell you.
I think when Daks ready he plays he gives us the best chance moving forward. Come draft time whoever evaluates qbs in the draft room needs to be front and center to look at who is available when cowboys pick and Jerry needs to give up capital to move up
I don’t see Dak as the long term answer he’s just the best we have in qb room
If fans can’t see that then theyre part of the ABD crew
I want to see how Dak plays when this defense is rolling like it is and the offensive line plays well as I hope that they can figure out the 2 best front 7s in the nfl (San Fran and Tampa)