Cowboys should look to buy low on Trey Lance

Status
Not open for further replies.

kskboys

Reaction score
Absolutely. Trey can learn from Dak and develop. Lance needed reps and development as a QB2 he could get that. Dallas will be looking for a QB in the draft next year, so why not get a former Top 5 pick and see what happens.
He's already gotten that and has been really really bad. This would be like trading for Jamarcus Russell.

kskboys

Reaction score
bahahhahahahahahhahahahahaha.... like I said, you werent watching, because Purdy played some damn good football. Bet you didnt think Romo should have started over Dak upon his return????
Darnold has been far from great, but he's been monumentally better than Trey.

Where do people get this crapp from?

kskboys

Reaction score
For a 6th or a 7th rounder, yes. Can we get someone with his upside that late in the draft. I would say trade a late round pick and then see if we can develop him.
Upside? According to whom? I mean, this dude sucks. Stephen McGee was better.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I don't know. Kyle Shanahan couldn't develop the kid. He's a really good coach. This isn't a situation where he was on a team that was constantly in flux. Shanahan is very involved in the offense. McDaniel was nominally the OC in Lance's first year but that was really about him being a white hot candidate for OC positions -- Shanny is the real OC and if he couldn't get anything out of Lance, I doubt there is much to get out of him.
Injuries are one of the reasons it hasn’t worked out for Trey Lance. He was pushing Jimmy G his rookie year then suffered a finger injury. In week two in 2021 he suffered a season ending ankle injury. Injuries have set him way back.

kskboys

Reaction score
Injuries are one of the reasons it hasn’t worked out for Trey Lance. He was pushing Jimmy G his rookie year then suffered a finger injury. In week two in 2021 he suffered a season ending ankle injury. Injuries have set him way back.
He was never pushing JimmyG. They drafted him w/ the plan of sitting him a year.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score

Mike McCarthy was instrumental in Aaron Rodgers development. Why not take a swing if the price is low? The Cowboys need a contingency option if Dak fails to get it done this year with a stacked team.

It's not Jerry's style to make Dak uncomfortable with competition.
Dak friendly is the catch phrase....

slick325

Reaction score
He would be exactly the type of player the Jones boys would kick the tires on. 1st round talent, young and would not be too cost prohibitive contract-wise. Low risk, high reward is a very Jerry Jones thing.

I wouldn't be averse to it. Just depends on how long Prescott's extension will be and how much it will be. Then you have to take into account the picks it would take to assume his rookie deal. They need to always be developing a future QB in my opinion.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Don’t see any point with Grier as our #3. Lance may even get cut.

Seems to me though that Lance is on his way to Joey Harrington, Akili Smith, or Marcus Mariota at best territory.

Been hurt a lot but had his chance this training camp.

erod

Reaction score
This kid is the worst player in the NFL quite possibly.

Johnny Manziel would be a better risk.

No.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
A team lower on the waiver wire.

Say Tampa wanted to acquire him but they made the postseason. They would risk all the pre non playoff teams claiming Lance.

I think his value is low but not a straight up cut, yet.
I don’t think he’s cut status yet but for me personally I’m not trading for him or his contract. It’s not like the guys in front of him are great and all camp long they’ve been letting out his bad he’s been.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
bahahhahahahahahhahahahahaha.... like I said, you werent watching, because Purdy played some damn good football. Bet you didnt think Romo should have started over Dak upon his return????
Of course I didn’t. I’d never sit a guy who just went on a 10 game winning streak.

You’re batting hard for Purdy but you are not understanding what I’m saying. Lance should be starting based on how good he was suppose to be. Purdy is hurt last I read. This was suppose to be Lances time to shine and he’s third string. That has nothing to do with how good or bad he is.

Btw, 49ers fans are pissed for what it’s worth. More so about Darnold.

T-RO

Reaction score
Upside? According to whom? I mean, this dude sucks. Stephen McGee was better.
I'm not interested in Lance, but I do concede from a pure raw tools standpoint, he had massive upside.
Big+. Fast+. Very strong arm.

The league chases high ceilings, for obvious reasons. But wow...this guy barely even got his feet wet in college, and was so far from ready.

My hunch is that we're about to see Lance crash out of the league, followed by Anthony Richardson. With Fields or Allen the guys had similar ceilings, but that came with a much bigger body of work and more college success. Theses NFL GMs are crazy gamblers sometimes.

Last edited:

baltcowboy

Reaction score
The Cowboys are trying to win a Super Bowl this season. I am not sure Lance is better than Grier right now. Hard pass.

Status
Not open for further replies.