Cowboys sign Fabini...3-yr, 6m deal

BadKarma

Reaction score
Eskimo said:
Pettiti would have to have improved light years in the offseason to beat out Fabini - and I am not saying that because I think Fabini is great. Maybe if he is dedicated he will be an adequate backup. I don't think RobP is starter material in the NFL but I would love to be proven wrong.
I agree. Although he'll have one year under his belt, I'm having a hard time believing he can improve on his speed and footwork within a year.

I hope he proves otherwise, but I'm not buying the hype based on what I saw last year.

Fabini will be the starter with that salary.

Ken

Reaction score
Doomsday said:
Glad it was true I posted this signing last night and got blasted.
I never doubted you.

Good job.

Silverstar

Reaction score
AdamJT13 said:
He started several games at right tackle last year.

Oh, well I feel better now.

At least he didn't get injuries that....wait a minute.

:rolleyes:

X-Dawg

Benched
Reaction score
All you need to know on Pettiti .....
Committed 8 penalties and gave up 13.5 sacks. And the backs only averaged 3.13 yards per carry running off right tackle. From a RT, That's awful.

Dale

Forum Architect
Reaction score
I like it. A veteran insurance policy at a position of desperate need. He's not making so much money, though, to prevent us from selecting a quality OT high in the draft -- if such a player is present. But now, at least, we aren't necessarily forced to draft a guy, or start Petitti, etc.

Competition. I like it.

sago1

Reaction score
Well, that makes me feel a lot better. We addressed our biggest problem at RT, so we can all breathe easier. I still think we should draft OT with our 2nd round pick who can play both LT/RT. Fabini's signing allows us the luxury of not rushing the rookie to start right away, but does give us added depth if either OT gets hurt. In 07 he should be able compete for either starting tackle position, depending on status of Pettiti/Colombo development or if Cowboys go another direction in 07 and cut Adams because of cap hit.

billknows

Reaction score
Cbz40 said:
Someone take a memo.....

Send everyone on Vacation at VR for the start of FA in 07

:hammock: Jerry with a Palm Pilot and a Red Stripe :hammock:Bill cell phone and a bud :hammock: Stephen fax and a Corona The perfect begining to FA

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
billknows said:
:hammock: Jerry with a Palm Pilot and a Red Stripe :hammock:Bill cell phone and a bud :hammock: Stephen fax and a Corona The perfect begining to FA

You got it........:D

Eskimo

Reaction score
chinch said:
we can't be wasting 2nd round picks on OL men

They wouldn't be wasted if we actually drafted decent players. Parcells and Ireland need to be on the ball this year when it comes to OL and LB in the draft. The continued lack of success in the second round is infuriating.

neosapien23

Reaction score
Eskimo said:
They wouldn't be wasted if we actually drafted decent players. Parcells and Ireland need to be on the ball this year when it comes to OL and LB in the draft. The continued lack of success in the second round is infuriating.

:hammer:

Yep, glad someone else agrees with me.

Ken

Reaction score
For the doubters...

Just remember that this guy, not even two years ago, helped pave the way for Cmart's rushing title.

Last year was injury riddled for the Jets. Fabini certainly wasn't the cause. He also had good practice blocking for Bledsoe when he had to protect Vinny T. last year!

Great signing.

KingTuna

Reaction score
Teague31 said:
Sorry is this is a repost. from espn.com

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2372555

Cowboys ink Fabini to address O-line woes
The Cowboys made a second move to improve their offensive line by reaching a three-year, $6 million deal with former Jets left tackle Jason Fabini. Clauses in the contract could grow the deal to $7.5 million over the three years.

Fabini will be moved to right tackle with the Cowboys and fix one of the team's biggest problems last season. The Cowboys had right tackle problems starting in beginning of training camp. They ended up trying Torrin Tucker in the pre-season at right tackle and then went with rookie Rob Petitti for the regular season.

Fabini, a salary cap cut for the Jets, visited the Patriots and was in heavy negotiations with the Bucs but decided to go to the Cowboys. Earlier this week, Dallas added Kyle Kozier, who is expected to help out at guard, to a five-year, $15 million deal.

EXCELLENT!!! NOw the O-line is looking GOOD!!!

mullet

Reaction score
I can't believe how low the dollars are. He is far from being a star, but he should be serviceable.

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
Cowboy from New York said:
Sure is a lot getting done for nobody being at the Ranch.

That was what I was thinking, too... with Jerry and Bill out of town, exactly who's signing these guys??

I mean, obviously the contracts could have been agreed to and drawn up in advance, but generally one of the brass is on hand when the player comes to town, to wine and dine them and actually be there for the signing...

Anyway, I'm very happy with the signing of Fabini... oh, I'm not expecting a Pro Bowler, but he has a lot of experience as a starter, and as somebody else noted in this thread, he was one of the blockers who helped Curtis Martin run up his stats... but most of all, I LOVE the price tag... the guy's a bargain...

Finally, not to start up a fight or anything, but I noticed upon checking out this board and others that the Chicken Littles who were running around panicking don't seem to be sounding off too much today... this just shows that the advice some of us gave them, to chill out and show some patience, was sound advice...

They're not done yet, gang...

silverbear

Reaction score
texastwister said:
I asked that question before with the new TE. Why would he come to visit with noone at the Ranch?

TT, I suspect that the Boys have had deals in place with them for a few days now, having negotiated with their agents by phone and fax... having the come to town to sign the contracts would, in that case, be little more than a formality...

Dale

Forum Architect
Reaction score
silverbear said:
That was what I was thinking, too... with Jerry and Bill out of town, exactly who's signing these guys??

I mean, obviously the contracts could have been agreed to and drawn up in advance, but generally one of the brass is on hand when the player comes to town, to wine and dine them and actually be there for the signing...

Anyway, I'm very happy with the signing of Fabini... oh, I'm not expecting a Pro Bowler, but he has a lot of experience as a starter, and as somebody else noted in this thread, he was one of the blockers who helped Curtis Martin run up his stats... but most of all, I LOVE the price tag... the guy's a bargain...

Finally, not to start up a fight or anything, but I noticed upon checking out this board and others that the Chicken Littles who were running around panicking don't seem to be sounding off too much today... this just shows that the advice some of us gave them, to chill out and show some patience, was sound advice...

They're not done yet, gang...

I'll tell ya, that Jeff Ireland is one sneaky bastid. :)

silverbear

Reaction score
InmanRoshi said:
I'm very happy. Fabini might not be a world beater, but he's not a turnstyle either. At least it shows that the Cowboys identified the problem and pragmatically went to solve it instead of using wishfull thinking, like they have in the past with Pete Hunter and Torrin Tucker.

One less position in the draft to have to reach for.

Kyle Kosier, Jason Fabini and a likely high draft pick on the OL... I feel MUCH better about the line, now... we're not looking at the best line in the league, but we are looking at one in the upper echelons (as always, barring injury)...

Kosier and Fabini are solid journeymen...