Signed by Cowboys Cowboys signing Linval Joseph

RonWashington

Reaction score
You draft a DT then go out and get two vets during camp . Not exactly a ringing endorsement for Mazi . Phillips & Joseph are good vets to start the season with OSA & Rogers . Rogers has to make the cut .

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Fehoko is back to DE
Right, but he wasn't before Dallas started making these signings. Zimmer recognized that both him and Golston are not DTs in his system and went and got some DTs.

ShiningStar

Reaction score
Zimmer just wants tree stumps that will keep the linebackers clean to run to the ball on early downs. Joseph and Phillips are a lot of mass to move.

ok, to be fair, your point was more clean. I agree, just thought it needed to be acknowledged on your take. Thank you.

GoCowboysGo

Reaction score
Not sure Joseph is the answer, if he can get ~30 snaps a game, that would be a major victory. I’m afraid it’s too little, too late. Hoping I’m wrong.

RonWashington

Reaction score
Joseph Phillips OSA & Rogers let Mazi obviously take snaps off hopefully keep him fresh and in the middle of the action when he does play.

quickccc

Reaction score
Linval joined the Bills last year in week 9. He played about 35% of snaps as a backup each game from that point on.

6'4" and 329 LB. Turns 36 in October. Was stud but he's old, as most here know.

Ironically it was his run defense last year that led to particularly low PFF scores. Was decent in 2022, and had some great seasons earlier in his career.
Sure It's age and injuries now with Joseph ... but what if he can become what we saw in once very injury prone Malk Hooker who once could not stay healthy and in one piece to save his life .....?

quickccc

Reaction score
seems like we are not gonna stand around and cross our fingers on Mazi Smith ...

adding vet bodies and moving on to Plan B...

gimmesix

Reaction score
Not sure Joseph is the answer, if he can get ~30 snaps a game, that would be a major victory. I’m afraid it’s too little, too late. Hoping I’m wrong.
I don't think he's supposed to be the answer, just part of the equation. The team is still hoping Mazi is the bigger part of the equation, but it takes more than one massive body to hold ground against other massive bodies. I think we likely see a rotation of Mazi, Phillips and Joseph on first down, with Odighizuwa coming in next to Mazi and, at times, Phillips if we successfully hold the offense to short yardage. I don't expect to see any of the big men in the game when it's clearly a passing down. I think the DTs then will be Osa and Kneeland/Lawrence with Parsons and Lawson at DE.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Joseph Phillips OSA & Rogers let Mazi obviously take snaps off hopefully keep him fresh and in the middle of the action when he does play.
I think Rogers ends up on the practice squad.

gimmesix

Reaction score
ok, to be fair, your point was more clean. I agree, just thought it needed to be acknowledged on your take. Thank you.
I was just trying to emphasize the purpose. Zimmer wants his linebackers hitting the gaps, but they can't do it if offensive linemen are all over them. He knew when he came here that he needed more beef than just Mazi, who hasn't proven if he's Grade A or Grade F. That's not a knock on Odighizuwa. He's a 285-pound DT that doesn't need to be used as a blocker magnet.

When our only real DT addition before camp was a seventh-round pick, it was fairly obvious we needed to do more for Zimmer's scheme to work. Glad Zimmer felt that way too.

gimmesix

Reaction score
I hope they don’t lose him
He was a seventh-round pick. I don't think it's likely. Teams have their own guys they want to keep and he doesn't play a position where you get much notice.

cowboyec

Reaction score
YES.
i hope they line up...wk 1....joseph and phillips...side by side baby.