Cowboys To Sign RB Lache Seastrunk?

EMMITTnROY

Reaction score
None of these no name RBs are gonna make a bit of difference other than being training camp bodies and potential practice squad players.

Our RBs are either already on the team or will come via a trade where we give up something of value.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And say whatever you want about Chris Johnson. Then look at his numbers - games played, yards gained, all of them.

Then compare them with McFadden's and ask yourself why one guy is in camp and the other one isn't?

If someone can find a viable answer, please let me know.

This league isn't about what you have done, it's what you are capable of doing.

It's pretty clear which way the Cowboys are thinking.

John813

Reaction score
Doubt they bother with a guy like Chris Johnson till the first week of the NFL season is over.

Bet they don't want to pay him what he wants/guaranteed money

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
Has talent, does not have a brain otherwise he could be a starting calibre running back.

KDM256

Reaction score
Remember him coming out of high school with Michael Dyer and Marcus Lattimore as the top 3 backs in the nation. If he couldn't land a spot on Carolina roster with all the injuries they had at the running back position last year, I doubt if anything will come out of this other than giving a hometown kid another shot of fulfilling his dreams.

Dunbar>>>Seastrunk and its not even close IMO

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Camp body, nothing more. Seastrunk's skill set mirrors Lance Dunbar's. He also has a fumble rate of once every 70 touches from his college days.

Bring in his lack of receiving and special teams experience, he might bring even less to the table than Dunbar.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This league isn't about what you have done, it's what you are capable of doing.

It's pretty clear which way the Cowboys are thinking.

So Chris Johnson is capable of running for over 2,000 yards in a season while McFadden is barely able to reach 1,000.

Johnson is able to remain healthy, missing one game in 7 years, while McFadden has completed one full season in those same 7 years.

Johnson has rushed for 8,628 with 4,247 for McFadden.

51 rushing TD's to 25 rushing TD's.

After 7 years of evidence, everyone can clearly see what both backs are "capable of doing", and it's no contest.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Around this time last year Dallas did the same thing:

May 19 - RB Ryan Williams Signed
May 19 - RB Glasco Martin Cut

They cut one of their UDFA's and signed a young street vet. That was with Murray on the roster.

This is just Dallas seeing an opportunity to churn the bottom of their 90 man camp roster, that is all.

It has nothing to do with what they think of their top 3 RB's and everything to do with looking at a young street free agent who they probably liked a little in last year's draft. The people who are asking why Seastrunk and not Chris Johnson are not on the right track at all. CJ would be a completely different type of transaction and would cost significant dollars.

Seastrunk costs basically nothing and probably won't even make the first cuts in camp.

LittleD

Reaction score
And say whatever you want about Chris Johnson. Then look at his numbers - games played, yards gained, all of them.

Then compare them with McFadden's and ask yourself why one guy is in camp and the other one isn't?

You can guess why the Cowboys don't seem to have any interest at all in Chris Johnson. He probably is not interested
in a vet minimum deal and that is all the Cowboys are shopping for right now. If someone comes loose in TC, then
maybe they go get a youngster or someone cheap but they are not going to bring any expensive vets to the team this
year imho. They are spending on the OL and Jerry thinks that any RB can run behind his new creation.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
He's supposed to be quick, fast and shifty -- wondering if we might have gotten him for a look at kick return duty.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Cut em' out
(Bring 'em in!)
Bring 'em in
(Cut em' out!)
Cut em' out
Ride 'em in,
Rosterwide!

Churnin' churnin',churnin'
Churnin' churnin' churnin' HAH!
~whip crack~

Rosterwiiiiiide
HAH!
~whip crack~

Rosterwide!
HAH!

Yeah, well, whatever. My birth year jersey number is 65 after all. :p

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It has nothing to do with what they think of their top 3 RB's and everything to do with looking at a young street free agent who they probably liked a little in last year's draft. The people who are asking why Seastrunk and not Chris Johnson are not on the right track at all. CJ would be a completely different type of transaction and would cost significant dollars.

Johnson would also be a completely different type of answer as well. A far superior and proven option than any of the team's current question marks.

Unlike anything we currently have, Johnson is a proven commodity. And for the naysayers, none of you know what kind of money Johnson is looking for. Considering that free agency is dried up and the draft is over, he's not in a position to demand anything, so he wouldn't.

He's actively campaigning the Cowboys to contact him, that's not the talk of anyone with big demands, that's talk from a guy looking for a chance. A chance to stay in the league and a chance to sign with a top offense and arguably the best offensive line in the league.

We picked up McFadden at the start of free agency for very little guaranteed money, Johnson would be no different. Other than being capable.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Around this time last year Dallas did the same thing:

May 19 - RB Ryan Williams Signed
May 19 - RB Glasco Martin Cut

They cut one of their UDFA's and signed a young street vet. That was with Murray on the roster.

This is just Dallas seeing an opportunity to churn the bottom of their 90 man camp roster, that is all.

Seastrunk costs basically nothing and probably won't even make the first cuts in camp.

I agree with that. Dallas isn't looking for someone it expects to be real competition for a roster spot at this time. It's bringing in RBs that it expects to just be a camp body but might turn out to be more. I doubt Seastrunk is the last churn at this position unless he shows the talent to be more than just a body.

Dallas won't try to replace any of its top four until it figures out it needs to during camp.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You can guess why the Cowboys don't seem to have any interest at all in Chris Johnson. He probably is not interested
in a vet minimum deal and that is all the Cowboys are shopping for right now. If someone comes loose in TC, then
maybe they go get a youngster or someone cheap but they are not going to bring any expensive vets to the team this
year imho. They are spending on the OL and Jerry thinks that any RB can run behind his new creation.

If they truly think that way, their arrogance is going to seriously cost them and the team.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
He's actively campaigning the Cowboys to contact him, that's not the talk of anyone with big demands, that's talk from a guy looking for a chance. A chance to stay in the league and a chance to sign with a top offense and arguably the best offensive line in the league.

I'm not looking to get into a huge debate with you or anything, because I understand what you're saying...

But if he is so good, why is he having to campaign to get picked up? Lord knows NFL teams are constantly trying to beat teams to the punch and out maneuver each other. Seems like somebody, somewhere would want him on their team.

rynochop

Reaction score

Money?

Reaction score

Chris Johnson wants big guaranteed money; McFadden wanted a chance to prove himself without big guaranteed money

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm not looking to get into a huge debate with you or anything, because I understand what you're saying...

But if he is so good, why is he having to campaign to get picked up? Lord knows NFL teams are constantly trying to beat teams to the punch and out maneuver each other. Seems like somebody, somewhere would want him on their team.

That you Mickey? ;)

Well, it's not like the guy has no issues. If he didn't, you're right, he wouldn't be available. But the fact is that his body of work obliterates anybody on our current roster we're hoping steps up as an answer.

He's 29 years old and likely on his last legs as a running back. He surely wouldn't be any sort of long-term solution, but he could be an option to get us through to next year's draft and our long term answer.

Johnson has always been a home run back who can take it to the house with good blocking. He's not great in the passing game, and he's never been a good short yardage guy. But the fact is that he has proven himself to be very effective when his offensive line does its' job. I would bring him in for a workout and see if his speed is still there. If it's not, he's done and I keep looking.

But all relevant numbers point to him being a better option than McFadden, and a more proven one than Randle.