Creating a case for TE at 26 - Kincaid

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
I'll preface this by saying I'm not a big fan of taking a TE at 26. The positional value is a little iffy for me and I'm on the fence if there is a TE in this class worth the selection.That being said, after watching a Kincaid a few times dude arguably has the best hands / ball skills in this class. He runs quality routes, catches everything (bad balls included) and wins jump balls in the end-zone like #1 WRs do. You have to look at him as a mismatch TE weapon (Goeder, Engram) instead of the traditional inline.

- If he tests out like an athletic freak at his pro day
- If the WR board is wiped (Johnston, Addison, Flowers, JSN all gone)
- If our Offense can use him correctly and get him on the field (don't give me the BS excuse he can't block and make him TE3 year 1)
- If we sign / trade for a solid vet WR (OBJ / Hops / Cooks / etc...)

Obviously a lot of IFs but in this scenario I could get excited about a draft like (used PFF mock sim):

- Dalton Kincaid / TE
- Eli Ricks / CB
- Tyler Scott / WR

2023 O:

WR1: Lamb
WR2: OBJ (if healthy)
WR3: MG / Scott
WR4: MG / Scott
WR5: Tolbert

TE / Flex: Kincaid
Give me Lachlan in the 5th over any of the top TEs

I think Ferguson is going to be even better than schultz

Beaker42

Reaction score
Yea, I mean I don’t think this dude as Kelce but I’ve seen Ertz as a comp. We need guys that can create mismatches and finish. Aka not drop balls in the endzone and tip passes to opposing DBs.

I think he can be that dude. Again, I’d want to see a lot of other stuff happen and see us shore up WR2 before the draft but there def is a scenario where I could like this pick.
Kincaid runs right by LB's and safeties. I love him but I want to see who else is sitting there when we go on the clock.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Or, we could be a retro Detroit, and spend all our 1st round picks on receivers.
Cooper, Lamb. Got 2 in recent history already.
Wanna go for a 3rd?
Saying we've got Ferguson/HenShot and then trying to base your draft of improving other weaknesses isnt the way to draft. Personally, I agree that having talented WR's isnt the problem (lets be honest Coops last year with Dak wasnt exactly spectacular) and IF we add receiving help for Dak I'd just think he's better suited (with his arm and progressions and especially as we're supposedly going to a more WCO approach) to concentrate on the short/(get open)/excellent hands of Kincaid rather than one of the WR's who at 26 look as if they wont necessarily suit Dak's game.
Im not advocating picking a TE in the 1st, but of all the receiving that are expected around 26 most all talking head draft guru's are saying Kincaid is the fit.....personally think we'll go CB in the 1st.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Kincaid runs right by LB's and safeties. I love him but I want to see who else is sitting there when we go on the clock.
Agree. He’s not my top choice at 26…far from it.

I just created a scenario where I could actually get on board.

Malhavoc

Reaction score
The team wants weapons. They won’t pay for it in FA and probably won’t trade for it. They’re going to get someone in the draft. Heck why not Kincaid. The more I’ve watched him over the last couple weeks, I’m convinced he’s 1 of the top 20 players in this draft.

Rayman70

Reaction score
hate the idea at 26 when we have much bigger needs. This draft is 6 rds deep at TE.They are all very talented.

kskboys

Reaction score
No. No frickin' way.

Taking a TE in the 1st sets us back on the road to super bowl contention. We'd be better off taking a RB, and I'm not for that either!!!!!

Rayman70

Reaction score
No. No frickin' way.

Taking a TE in the 1st sets us back on the road to super bowl contention. We'd be better off taking a RB, and I'm not for that either!!!!!
thats my thinking as well.

kskboys

Reaction score
thats my thinking as well.
We were finally able to stop the run in the playoffs due to old man Hankins, and now we think we need more TE's? That doesn't even make any sort of sense whatsoever.

Trade back, and take Mazi w/ an early/mid 2nd. That would be the best move.

Keeenu Benton in the 3rd would be a nice pick.

Although not a nose, I would love it if we threw a pick at Calijah Kancey in the 4th/5th. Fireplug build(5-11), but freaky 4.7 forty at 280. Could be a revelation.

Malhavoc

Reaction score
We were finally able to stop the run in the playoffs due to old man Hankins, and now we think we need more TE's? That doesn't even make any sort of sense whatsoever.

Trade back, and take Mazi w/ an early/mid 2nd. That would be the best move.

Keeenu Benton in the 3rd would be a nice pick.

Although not a nose, I would love it if we threw a pick at Calijah Kancey in the 4th/5th. Fireplug build(5-11), but freaky 4.7 forty at 280. Could be a revelation.
You do know that Kancey is probably going to be a 1st rounder ?

cnuball21

Reaction score
The team wants weapons. They won’t pay for it in FA and probably won’t trade for it. They’re going to get someone in the draft. Heck why not Kincaid. The more I’ve watched him over the last couple weeks, I’m convinced he’s 1 of the top 20 players in this draft.
When you think of him as a “weapon” it makes more sense than just a TE. He’s one of the best weapons in the draft.

I’d rather go WR, CB, Edge or OT but if the board is wiped and we make a few good moves in FA I could get behind it.

Malhavoc

Reaction score
When you think of him as a “weapon” it makes more sense than just a TE. He’s one of the best weapons in the draft.

I’d rather go WR, CB, Edge or OT but if the board is wiped and we make a few good moves in FA I could get behind it.
How many of those guys do you think carry a higher grade than Kinkaid ? Jones, maybe Schmitz who like a whole lot, Gonzalez, Porter, Witherspoon, Banks, Nolan Smith, maybe Van Ness, Johnson, JSN, Addison. IMO the corners and wr’s are going to fly off the board. Maybe Schmitz, Van Ness, or Smith make it through. Maybe in this scenario they go with Van Ness because of his traits and upside. But I think Kincaid would be the guy.

cnuball21

Reaction score
How many of those guys do you think carry a higher grade than Kinkaid ? Jones, maybe Schmitz who like a whole lot, Gonzalez, Porter, Witherspoon, Banks, Nolan Smith, maybe Van Ness, Johnson, JSN, Addison. IMO the corners and wr’s are going to fly off the board. Maybe Schmitz, Van Ness, or Smith make it through. Maybe in this scenario they go with Van Ness because of his traits and upside. But I think Kincaid would be the guy.
As of Kincaid is a consensus top 20 prospect.

I don’t know about the Cowboys board but I could probably come up with 12is guys I’d take over him.