Cuts and Free Agent Rumors

Bowdown27

Reaction score
yentl911;4009260 said:
Would you guys pay NA 12 mil a year when we could possibly get two solid starters for similar money? I would not. Too much for just one guy.

I hope we get a safety like Landry along with another vet lineman - either O or D.

exactly

Primetime42

Reaction score
JustDezIt;4009262 said:
AdamSchefter Adam Schefter
Filed to ESPN: Broncos traded WR Jabar Gaffney to Washington for DE jeremy Jarmon.
WHAAAAAAAAAAT?!

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
davey999;4009266 said:
No I meant for new free agents... not to cut every guy over 30.

Seems pretty hypocritical.

You'd pay Newman $10 million at age 33 but not $12 million for Asomugha at age 30.

yentl911

Reaction score
stasheroo;4009265 said:
You're paying approximately $10 million this year for Newman.

Does that change your mind?

He isn't worth that money either. We need several players not just one or two. We have holes in both lines, middle linebacker, safety, and we could use an accurate kicker.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
stasheroo;4009275 said:
Seems pretty hypocritical.

You'd pay Newman $10 million at age 33 but not $12 million for Asomugha at age 30.

I would rather pay Newman address CB in next years draft than to pay Asomugha for a longer term contract.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
yentl911;4009278 said:
He isn't worth that money either. We need several players not just one or two. We have holes in both lines, middle linebacker, safety, and we could use an accurate kicker.

So you'd cut Newman?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Doomsday101;4009280 said:
I would rather pay Newman address CB in next years draft than to pay Asomugha for a longer term contract.

Not me, if I can get the league's 2nd best corner for slightly more than what I'm overpaying for Newman and have him for at least 3 years I'm jumping at it.

yentl911

Reaction score
stasheroo;4009281 said:
So you'd cut Newman?

Dude get a grip. You can't just cut Newman. He is our best cornerback but he is on the wrong side of thirty. We also would be hammered by his contract.

What I said was that NA was not worth that kind of money. We have more than one hole - not to mention much bigger holes - at other positions other than CB.

I would much rather have two solid players that fill holes - lineman and a safety.

yentl911

Reaction score
Doomsday101;4009280 said:

Ditto

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
yentl911;4009307 said:
Dude get a grip. You can't just cut Newman. He is our best cornerback but he is on the wrong side of thirty. We also would be hammered by his contract.

What I said was that NA was not worth that kind of money. We have more than one hole - not to mention much bigger holes - at other positions other than CB.

I would much rather have two solid players that fill holes - lineman and a safety.

Maybe you need to 'get a grip'.

It's a joke for Newman to count $10 million against this team's cap when a far superior player could be had for $2 million more.

You'r either keeping Newman or signing Asomugha, the other needs exist regardless.

$2 million cap wise is nothing and would never prevent a team from getting what they want.

Nirvana

Reaction score
stasheroo;4009322 said:

It's a joke for Newman to count $10 million against this team's cap when a far superior player could be had for $2 million more.

You'r either keeping Newman or signing Asomugha, the other needs exist regardless.

$2 million cap wise is nothing and would never prevent a team from getting what they want.

I said during the lockout that if there was no cap this year I could see us going after Nnamdi. No such scenario. Even with a creative cap friendly contract for this year's cap, it would still be a big hit in the following years. Too many teams bidding up his contract. It's not gonna fly unfortunately.

yentl911

Reaction score
stasheroo;4009322 said:

I am not a cap guru but you can't just cut TNew and wipe 9mil off the books. There will be ramifications. You will pay regardless of whether Newman is on the roster or not. We have bigger needs than CB.

Continue to dream but NA is not coming to Dallas. Sorry.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
yentl911;4009360 said:
I am not a cap guru but you can't just cut TNew and wipe 9mil off the books. There will be ramifications. You will pay regardless of whether Newman is on the roster or not. We have bigger needs than CB.

In all likelihood I agree with you.

The odds are slim.

But I think the team could do it if they wanted to do it.

With recent cuts, they figure to have a lot of cap space freed up in 2013 and a great deal of an Asomugha contract could be concentrated into that year.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Nirvana;4009354 said:
I said during the lockout that if there was no cap this year I could see us going after Nnamdi. No such scenario. Even with a creative cap friendly contract for this year's cap, it would still be a big hit in the following years. Too many teams bidding up his contract. It's not gonna fly unfortunately.

This team just opened up a huge amount of money for its' 2013 cap.

If Newman were to be released, you could put $20 million of an Asomugha contract in that year and not blink.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
stasheroo;4009322 said:

Still hard after Asomugha i see.

The argument is about future years. If you agree that paying a 33 year old that much is a mistake then why set it up to do it again in a couple of years.

I am fine with Asomugha as long as it does not compromise our ability to get quality S, DE and OG. I think the resources are better spent elsewhere even as little as a $2m cap charge.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Sorry for hijacking this thread from its' intended purpose. We should probably discuss this somewhere else.

MonsterD

Quota outta absentia
Reaction score
Daryn Colledge got a burrito endorsement deal

@DarynColledge73 Daryn Colledge
Breaking news: I have come to terms on a 1yr deal with @EVOLfoods. All the delicious burritos I can eat. It's gonna be a great year thanks.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
FuzzyLumpkins;4009377 said:
Still hard after Asomugha i see.

The argument is about future years. If you agree that paying a 33 year old that much is a mistake then why set it up to do it again in a couple of years.

I agree that paying the 33 year old Newman what he's making is a mistake. I see no dropoff in Asomugha's level of play.

I am fine with Asomugha as long as it does not compromise our ability to get quality S, DE and OG.

I agree, but I don't think it would.

I think the resources are better spent elsewhere even as little as a $2m cap charge.

I'd take Elam and Asomugha over Newman and Huff for example.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
yentl911;4009360 said:

You are correct, you are not a cap guru. Newman can be cut and the money saved would be enough to fit Asomugha's first year at 12 million a year average. The way contracts are set up the cap hit in the first year is a lot lower than the average. They also are backloaded with large base salaries.