Dak is easily confused presnap

kramskoi

Reaction score
It's obvious to me that D-Coordinator's have figured out that Dak is easily confused with showing one set and jumping into something different before the ball is hiked. Dak needs to know where he is going with the ball pre-snap or it throws his game off. What I don't understand, is how can Aaron Rodgers still get the ball to Adams 10 times a game? How can Burrows get the ball to Chase 10 times a game? But Dak can't get the ball to Cooper or Cee Dee more than 3 times each?? How does Willson get more targets than Cooper and Lamb? Dak will only throw the ball where the pre-snap tells him to go. Rodgers and Burrow have confidence that their #1 receivers will win the battle where Dak will only throw the ball to a wide open receiver.

Teams are making Dak audible out of his first play and switching coverages at the last minute and Dak is confused.
Kellen Moore. That's part of your answer...along with Prescott. These two are not on the same page at present and they've got 10 days or so to get things turned around. I'm not so convinced that they can do it in time. Habits are hard to break on short notice...but if they can't figure this out then the team will suffer in the playoffs. These slow-starts, coupled with questionable play-calling are a recipe for falling behind early...losing half the play book (either intentionally or unintentionally) and then going down in flames in the fourth quarter (trying to play catch up).

Given his distaste for running the football and his dubious utilization of key personnel, Dallas should move on from him after this season. Prescott needs an OC that will help him out, not pad a resume to score his next coaching gig.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
The replay of the defender and Dak staring at each other with the defender just waiting for Dak to just throw the ball his way before timing his jump to worst case bat it away or best case intercept/pick six. Why not tuck it under and run or throw off a different platform. Anything apart from just stare the guy down until throwing it directly towards him. I admit I laughed out loud! I mean *** :laugh:
This has been an issue that most havent noticed, or commented on.
Dak locking in on his first read still is not only an easy tell for the defense, but should be a part of his game that he should have learned by now of what not to do.

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
It comes down to reading and being able to analyze what the defense is doing on the fly. Yea, the defense shows you one look to start and if you show a tendency to be slow on reading the defense when time is of the essence then you see what you see with Dak.

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
Dak Prescott's Weaknesses as listed in his scouting report
  • Inconsistency mars almost every aspect of his game, especially mechanically
  • Rocks back with a slight hitch in his delivery when putting zip on the ball
  • Can wind up with longer release when going down the field
  • Tendency to release the ball a tad early, resulting in a sailing or fluttering pass
  • Needs to vary the pace of the ball to match the situation/route (no bullets on screens)
  • Location and accuracy are generally poor, makes receivers adjust to off-target balls and minimizes yards after catch
  • Makes very poor decisions at times, forces passes into coverage
  • Footwork can get sloppy, will fall off his base throwing to his left, loses accuracy/velocity
  • Doesn’t possess the heralded “power arm” that he was once rumored to have
  • Deep ball accuracy is lacking, touch passing needs a compass
  • Does not throw with anticipation, poor timing leads to late throws to all areas of the field
  • Can be confused and fooled by more intricate coverage schemes (ex. Alabama’s pattern reading)
  • Lacks accuracy and velocity when throwing on the move
  • Not a great athlete, heavy-footed and lacking lateral quickness and explosiveness as a runner

Take a gander at that third to last bullet point.

Hadenough

Reaction score
It's obvious to me that D-Coordinator's have figured out that Dak is easily confused with showing one set and jumping into something different before the ball is hiked. Dak needs to know where he is going with the ball pre-snap or it throws his game off. What I don't understand, is how can Aaron Rodgers still get the ball to Adams 10 times a game? How can Burrows get the ball to Chase 10 times a game? But Dak can't get the ball to Cooper or Cee Dee more than 3 times each?? How does Willson get more targets than Cooper and Lamb? Dak will only throw the ball where the pre-snap tells him to go. Rodgers and Burrow have confidence that their #1 receivers will win the battle where Dak will only throw the ball to a wide open receiver.

Teams are making Dak audible out of his first play and switching coverages at the last minute and Dak is confused.
Dak is a cheap version of Alex Smith talent wise. But getting paid like he is the best in the NFL.

starfan1

Reaction score
I was listening to the fan yesterday and I agree with their assessment that Dak and his receivers and even the line with their blocking assignments are slow to recognize coverages when they are disguised until last second

dak is very good at dealing with blitz and pre snap reads it’s when the disguise it he isn’t fast enough at recognition neither is the rest of the offense

this running game has to get going in playoffs we can’t he 1 dimensional

I’m extremely worried about our run defense as well. We may get a gauge this weekend if Philly plays to win and isn’t hit too hard with protocol issues

Dak_Attack_09

Reaction score

Spot on. He needs to know what area of the field to go if they send the blitz and where to go if they drop back.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
All those mighty wrs for NEs SB runs is what we need. Maybe Julio, AJ, TO, Andre J, Calvin J. Go 5 deep with that talent and it all cures itself. I'm sure of it
This makes no sense whatsoever. First of all patriots had great receivers. He knew how to get open not just run routes

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
But that wasn't the question. Clove asked how are we a better offense than the Packers. The answer is because we feasted on three teams in our own division, scoring more than 40 points on each of them, points which add up to yards. We also beat up on the Falcons, who we ran out of AT&T Stadium.

Second, name the five playoff teams this season we've already beaten?:huh:
I count two: the Patriots and the Eagles, and we still have our last game with the Eagles.
Who am I missing? :huh:
I wasn’t replying to clove. So

Rayman70

Reaction score
when we play complete games and focus, we are world beaters, but when we lose just a little focus it snowballs. Thats on the HC and Dak. Its their job to make sure that doesn't happen. The Cards game was a team loss. Dak was CLEARLY the catalyst.

75boyz

Reaction score
https://draftwire.usatoday.com/2015...w-about-2016-nfl-draft-prospect-dak-prescott/

Here is Dak’s scouting report. It’s pretty spot on and that’s just what we have.

Wow, not one single thing has changed or could be disputed from this report 6 years later. Good or Bad. He is what he is. Wonder how many will read it.

The strongly supportive #4 camp, and especially the select few with genuine integrity, (if there are any, lol) would be hard pressed to disprove any of this initial report dating 6 years back.

jmo

1972COWBOY

Reaction score
You Dak haters have to come to the realization that you too would be play the same if you had a nice comfy Sleep Number smart adjustable bed calling you. With sleep tracking technology, temperature sensing , and a bed that adjusts firmness on the whim, its not easy getting your mind off it.

With many different sleep number settings to remember, I think he may have been calling his sleep numbers in the count accidentally.

There is also rumor he was having difficulty using the remote the night before the game and if that's the case, I sympathize with him. Once, he gets this all sorted out, I bet he will be much better this Sunday. Just give him a chance.

So unless you have been there, don't throw the first stone.

Last edited:

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
I don't think Arizona is the defense you want to play the cat-and-mouse game with at the LOS every single play. They're shifting around for 15-20 seconds and not giving you their true look until the very last second. Meanwhile Dak is checking in and out of plays based on Arizona's movement. I think this is leading to a lot of miscommunication b/t Dak and OL/WRs/TEs at the LOS. I believe this is what Amari was referring to in his postgame remarks.