Dak is not a Franchise QB

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
I was waiting for fans to start saying this.

Just proves how bad Jason Garrett is. He's already got people saying Ezekiel Elliot isn't a franchise RB.

He ruined Dez, Dak is looking awful, then eventually we all say Elliot is horrible as well.

It's not the players though. That's the thing.

Garrett relies on a non-coaching approach. He doesn't know the finer details of pro football. Instead, he likes to make rhetorical speeches that incite the crowd and get them motivated. But that schtick can only last for so long. Soon enough the world will know you have no clue on coaching. Its starting to show. He is ruining this team from within. Whats more frightening is that the FO thinks he's their answer to their prayers. They are foolish to believe it.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
By definition a franchise QB raises the level of a franchise from its current level to the next level and inspires teammates to the next level. In 2016 after a 4-12 2015 season, a rookie QB guided the team to a 13-3 record. He has been voted team captain each year after his rookie year. Record is 22-11 as a starter.

I saw a franchise QB without a go to WR, TE, and solid C go 1-15 his rookie year (0-8 as a starter) and the one win was with another QB as a starter. The next year they finished 7-9 with the franchise QB 7-7 as a starter. First 2 years as a starter the QB was 7-15. So I guess Troy Aikman was not a franchise QB? Yes. He was because the 1989 season of 0-8 as a starter improved to 7-7 as a starter and he was named team captain. The rest is Dynasty of the 90's history.

What the Cowboys do not have is a franchise Head Coach. That is the difference between Troy and Dak at this point.

Jimmy Johnson demoted David Shula when the Cowboys were at 3-7. They then went on a 4 game winning streak and the triplets were born vs. the LA Rams that 1990 season. What is Jason Garrett going to do with Linehan?

Thus the big ugly elephant in the room. Its the head coach. There is mounting evidence that shows Garrett can coach.

This team sorely needs a new head coach. At least someone that can call plays and knows something about football. Which is probably 100% of the other coaches out there.

uvaballa

Reaction score
Teams rarely win with great defenses and poor QB play. And when they do, those defenses are generational defenses and among the greatest ever.

The tape doesn’t lie and hasn’t for the last two years. Dak can’t throw point blank.
Great defenses win all the time. Maybe not the SB every year but the teams with better defenses tend to be in the playoffs.

If Dak can’t throw why don’t the Cowboys use him more in the run game? Maybe the coaches think he can or he’s doing it in practice. Maybe they should run a game plan that fits the players strengths.

khiladi

Reaction score
Lol, OMG, do you think Romo walks on water as well? Could he ever do anything wrong? So when they win, it was because Romo was checking out of JG’s plays and he was really the one orchestrating the offense and play calling but when they lost it was because of JG’s play calling.

Lol, I thought I’ve heard/seen it all but this is starting to get good. And by good I mean some of the most ridiculous Romo love I’ve ever seen on this site which is hard to beat.

The comical thing about people like you is they simply argue in absolutes. Nobody says Romo was flawless, but it’s patently clear that Garrett was an incompetent play-caller. I mean you haven’t refuted the fact that Dallas was last in play action passes and when all was said and done by 2012, Dallas was operating out of shotgun 85% of the time and that the media was talking about whether Dallas needs to run more hurry-up because that’s the only offense that was successful.

There is a reason Jerry began the journey of stripping away play calling from Garrett the next year, while saying major changes would take place which included even bouncing Garrett’s brother who was ‘promoted’ to passing game coordinator like the year before, while he kept trying to push his pet project Ogletree into the starting lineup.

khiladi

Reaction score
Great defenses win all the time. Maybe not the SB every year but the teams with better defenses tend to be in the playoffs.

If Dak can’t throw why don’t the Cowboys use him more in the run game? Maybe the coaches think he can or he’s doing it in practice. Maybe they should run a game plan that fits the players strengths.

Teams with elite QBs tend to make the playoffs all the time. Not sure about teams with great defenses...

Dallas can’t use him more in the run game, because teams key in on him. Last year, every DC basically said that they try and keep Dak in the pocket. Running QBs rarely, if ever succeed, in the NFL and they definitely don’t when they can’t throw the ball.

khiladi

Reaction score
Here is just one article about Garrett as Oc before Jerry started pulling the leash. Anybody watching the games other than Garrett homers were pointing out these flaws, among them Dallas continually operating out of third and distance, meaning incredible pressure for Romo. And when they are in third and long, DC brought the house and blitzed which got Romo killed.

Dallas only successful offense was hurry-up.

And the pass:rush split with Garrett was like 80/20...

Plus our OL and RG was only revamped with Callahan who is the guy that Jerry basically was set on giving a chance as OC after 2012. And even then Garrett kept interfering so in order to pacify Garrett and not change the offense, Jerry brought in Linehan for Romo and why Jerry specifically mentioned him running the ball..

https://www.foxsports.com/arizona/story/garrett-appears-almost-out-of-ideas-110612

mattjames2010

Reaction score
That’s easy... Garrett’s pass happy offense could never account for free blitz..

Garrett offense was dead last in play-actin usage as well, meaning they couldn’t devise a passing game built off the threat of a run. He was a disaster...

Dallas most successful offense by 2013 was ‘hurry up’ and there were talks in Dallas about whether they should go hurry-up, no huddle more, meaning they were only successful when the scrub’s play calling was scrapped and they relied on Romo free-styling to end games.

Dallas by the time Jerry finally decided to start relegating Jason to walk around HC happened when Dallas started operating out of shotgun like 85% of the time.

Was this also the game we lost both Bryant and Austin and were working with scrubs?

khiladi

Reaction score
So like Dallas in 2016.

Cute.. like RG3 as well.

And Zeke isn’t gaining over a thousand of his yards on first down anymore and now Dak has to throw the ball from Down and distance and inaccuracy and pick 6s here we come.. hell he almost had one this week again if it weren’t for the fact Zeke knocked the ball away from the LB..

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
Dak is not a Franchise QB

giphy.gif

cern

Reaction score
aaron Rodgers wins games with one leg. did it to us. did it to bears the other night. that is an elite qb. dak just isn't in that league. many of us, myself included, got wrapped up in the dak euphoria after his rookie year. but one is simply in denial if they can't see what's happened to his performances as defenses adjusted to his strengths. the look on his face says it all. scared and confused.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
aaron Rodgers wins games with one leg. did it to us. did it to bears the other night. that is an elite qb. dak just isn't in that league. many of us, myself included, got wrapped up in the dak euphoria after his rookie year. but one is simply in denial if they can't see what's happened to his performances as defenses adjusted to his strengths. the look on his face says it all. scared and confused.
I wish we would have drafted him. We would have 6 or 7 by now. Hell of a QB right there. For whatever reason the team likes to scrimp on obtaining QBs.

uvaballa

Reaction score
Teams with elite QBs tend to make the playoffs all the time. Not sure about teams with great defenses...

Dallas can’t use him more in the run game, because teams key in on him. Last year, every DC basically said that they try and keep Dak in the pocket. Running QBs rarely, if ever succeed, in the NFL and they definitely don’t when they can’t throw the ball.
Was Romo elite?

I’ve seen defenses like Giants, Seahawks, Broncos beat guys like Brady and Rodgers (2 best QBs)in the playoffs. Not sure why you think top defenses don’t shut down QBs.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
well you going to throw out the glitch tag on him.. he sure looks like he's shell shocked and can't see the field when pressured. well hell lately he can't see the field without pressure. Maybe some mcgoo glasses for him?

uvaballa

Reaction score
How many rings Rodgers have? Why would a QB like Eli have more? Foles even tied Rodgers now.

khiladi

Reaction score
Was Romo elite?

I’ve seen defenses like Giants, Seahawks, Broncos beat guys like Brady and Rodgers (2 best QBs)in the playoffs. Not sure why you think top defenses don’t shut down QBs.

Yeah.. which is why I mentioned that when they do, they are arguably among the top defenses of all time.. the Seahawks defense in their prime is arguably the best defense of this modern era, but the Broncos defense that year was playing just as elite, and probably better up front.. and it rarely happens...

Was Romo ‘elite’.. Brady wouldn’t have been elite on this team with Jason Garrett as OC, with this amount of pressure up front..

cern

Reaction score
well you going to throw out the glitch tag on him.. he sure looks like he's shell shocked and can't see the field when pressured. well hell lately he can't see the field without pressure. Maybe some mcgoo glasses for him?
he seems to be glitch affected. and as time has proven, there is no cure. and so the hunt begins for the next qb of the cowboys.

Coy

Reaction score
Barely won a playoff game. I'm saying having a franchise QB doesn't guarantee you anything. I'd rather spend money on a top D. Yes it may have been more exciting but losing is losing. Last two years the Cowboys haven't had a losing record so to me things haven't really been worse, more of the same.

Different QB but basically the same results. Maybe that means it's something else that's the main problem. This is what I've been trying to convey.

I think we at least agree that Garrett is THE problem, of course Jerry hired him, so he is part of the problem obviously.

But seeing this offense for the past 10 games, (not only this one game) is hard to watch and the results show it:

- Failed to score more than 9 points in 5 of their past 9 games
- Dak has thrown for less than 200 yards in 7 of his last 9 games, a very difficult feat in this day in age I might add
- Carolina stacked the box in 53% of the snaps (NFL average is 38%), that says a lot of what they think about Dak, their strategy obviously worked.

Then again, I do agree that is all about results, winning divisions and playoff games, if we have a winning season, you sir, will be correct, I hope you are.
But there shouldn't be a debate that if we had a better QB we would be having much better results.

uvaballa

Reaction score
Yeah.. which is why I mentioned that when they do, they are arguably among the top defenses of all time.. the Seahawks defense in their prime is arguably the best defense of this modern era, but the Broncos defense that year was playing just as elite, and probably better up front.. and it rarely happens...
Giants was one of the best all time?

Please name your elite QBs in the league now.