Dak is not a Franchise QB

tyke1doe

Reaction score
No one said Dak is a franchise QB, heck it's only his 3rd yr RELAX guys. I'm not saying he's great yet and yes he made several mistakes but so did the rest of the Offense, so did the ridiculous coaching staff.
We always are quick to blame the entire thing on the QB, are you expecting a miracle for a new kid in yr 3?
If the strategy changes we'll see a different Dak, until then he'll remain mediocre. Strategy change would include how we go about getting players down to coaching. (cheap cheap cheap jerrys kids)
Translation: He's a Trent Dilfer who can be a better-than-average bus driver if he has Super Bowl-level talent surrounding him.
Great. That makes me feel better. :(

DandyDon52

Reaction score
When the guy can’t hit open receivers 5-10 yards downfield the plays aren’t the problem. I’m not throwing in the towel on Dak yet but I’m getting close, he was putrid on Sunday, plain and simple.
Dak isnt being taught anything useful, I mean who is gonna teach him? JG? his qb coach?
plus what I see is a disorganized mess, on offense, and you cant flourish in that. Does dak throw some bad passes,? yes, but it can be corrected
if they would just teach him some things.
as I said before dak is the best qb we have, and all the good ones were grabbed up by other teams.

Cmac

Reaction score
Same goes for Zeke . Other than his rookie year, not a franchise rb.
Zeke blamed for a stale offensive scheme....poor line play (due to injuries)….non-threatening QB.....8 man fronts?

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Currently, Dak's future is hanging in the balance, depending largely upon his performance this year. Nothing is written in stone right now. We'll learn more at the next draft. If a QB is selected early-on, we'll know if something's in the works in terms of grooming another QB. Right now, Dak is our QB, regardless of what this membership thinks or feels. The FO and their staff will weigh in on his future when the time comes. These are the cold, hard facts, folks.

Last edited:

aria

Reaction score
Dak isnt being taught anything useful, I mean who is gonna teach him? JG? his qb coach?
plus what I see is a disorganized mess, on offense, and you cant flourish in that. Does dak throw some bad passes,? yes, but it can be corrected
if they would just teach him some things.
as I said before dak is the best qb we have, and all the good ones were grabbed up by other teams.
He should have been taught to make 5-10 yard passes in middle school. I seriously doubt he’s missing those throws on a regular basis in practice otherwise he wouldn’t be the QB, lr maybe he would with this FO.

I’m not giving up on him yet but last Sunday about out me over the edge.

Hadenough

Reaction score
Currently, Dak's future is hanging in the balance, depending largely upon his performance this year. Nothing is written in stone right now. We'll learn more at the next draft. If a QB is selected early-on, we'll know if something's in the works in terms of grooming another QB. Right now, Dak is our QB, regardless of what this membership thinks or feels. The FO and their staff will weigh in on his future when the time comes. These are the cold, hard facts, folks.
Your exactly right! The front office is always two years behind the fan base.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Your exactly right! The front office is always two years behind the fan base.

I'm sure they felt they needed to give Dak enough time to prove himself before possibly replacing him. He'll get his chances to redeem himself this year, no doubt. How he manages to fare against a difficult schedule will surely provide a challenge for him to overcome. We'll see how it goes. There'll be pressure. He should get more support from his OL before all is said and done. How he responds after that will probably determine how he's judged.

Last edited:

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
He should have been taught to make 5-10 yard passes in middle school. I seriously doubt he’s missing those throws on a regular basis in practice otherwise he wouldn’t be the QB, lr maybe he would with this FO.

I’m not giving up on him yet but last Sunday about out me over the edge.
I like Dak, but Sunday did put me over the edge. He can be a regular season QB and the team can win some games, maybe make the playoffs, but I don’t see him being able to make a playoff run against the best teams to ever lead this team to a championship. I think good defenses are going to be able to keep him in check and he won’t be able to string together 3-4 wins in a row without a stinker of a performance showing up.

The team needs to invest in a high draft pick trying to find the next Aikman rather than the bargain bin searching for the next Romo.

We need a playoff caliber QB and not a regular season warrior, IMO.

Bohuntr97

Reaction score
This is true. But this is in games where there is a lot of pressure.

Honestly, I swear Dak handled pressure better the first year and a half of his career. That Atlanta game may have ruined him.

I thought he could overcome it. But he may be permanently broken. Having garbage coaches doesn’t help a young player on a psychological level either.

I hope not. Romo was once sacked 7 times in a game versus Clevelend and had several six sack games including in the playoff win over Detroit. I know Romo had a few years on Dak, but it can be done. Hopefully he will just erase that game from his memory and improve.

CPanther95

Reaction score
Bus driver.
Flat fixer.
Game manager.
Dak Prescott.

Getting a solid bus driver with a 4th/5th Rd. pick to backup Romo and/or transition to the next franchise QB while the defense is built and the team depth is improved would have been a major win.

But Jerry got a bus driver and then swappped the bus for Fred Flintstone's sedan.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
That's a terrible excuse. If it was Romo, it wouldn't matter who the receiver was, he would make it work

Two playoff wins with Romo. Having to find a quarterback who can make up for poor receivers, bad defense and bad coaching is tremendously difficult. And what happens if that quarterback gets hurt? (See Cowboys 2015).

I guess if you just like to win games, then fine, let's get the great quarterback and don't worry about the rest of the team. But if SBs are your goal, as it is mine, then you are better off finding quality players and building a total team. Eagles lost Wentz, but they had the line, receivers and defense to allow Foles, who has a very checkered history as a quarterback, to be a SB MVP and have the Eagles be world champs.

If it wasn't for Romo's heroics, I submit Jerry would have done earlier what he's doing now - build (before the injuries to Smith and now with Frederick out) a solid o-line, draft pass rushers and other defensive players and get a top running back. Those years are gone, the chances to win SBs are gone.

I just wouldn't build a team to depend on one player having to make up for deficiencies in nearly every other aspect of the team.

Yes, I agree Dak needs to be better, but having another Romo won't guarantee SB wins...

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
I hope not. Romo was once sacked 7 times in a game versus Clevelend and had several six sack games including in the playoff win over Detroit. I know Romo had a few years on Dak, but it can be done. Hopefully he will just erase that game from his memory and improve.

You have to learn how to handle the pressure. His first year, Dak didn't have that, I guess not with a 1,600 yard rusher to hand the ball off to, and a top offensive line. IMaybe it's going to take some time for him to be able to make the pressure throws.

I think too many, despite their comments, did get all caught up in Dak's great first year, and are frustrated he didn't get even better in year two. Just too impatient, for goodness sakes, not every quarterback develops into All Pro in two years, give the guy a chance.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score

What people forget is that when they say "look at Wentz, he was possibly the NFL MVP his second year until he got hurt", Dak was terrible his second year".

But you do realize Wentz was the number 2 pick in the draft. To get to that spot you either have to be a 2-14 or such team, or as the Eagles did, trade away a very high pick one year and multiple high draft picks in future years. This team had lots of needs in 2016, it wasn't a team that had a solid core of defensive and offensive players, needing mostly just a great quarterback to lead them. If Wentz had come here, you can't just assume he'd have turned out so well. Didn't have the coaching, for one, obviously.

And don't forget, Wentz was a FCS quarterback, with 20-20 hindsight, yes it was a great pick. But when you see championship winning quarterbacks like Vince Young turn out to be absolute flops, expecting Wentz to turn out so well was a huge risk. It worked out, but if he didn't, can you imagine the Eagles' fans reaction, if Wentz' first year was how he played in year two?

If the Cowboys go, say, 6-10 this year, won't have the no. 2 pick, have to trade up for a top spot, and you still have needs at receiver, safety and defensive tackle. Sure you might get another Wentz, but if he gets sacked 70 times a year like David Carr did because you didn't get needed o-line guys or the defensive players to keep your rookie quarterback to not have to put up 40 pts a game and go 75 yards every drive, he's not going to be very good, likely.

Too late now for 20-20 hindsight, we'll have to weather this year with Dak, so let's just watch and see what develops...

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
What people forget is that when they say "look at Wentz, he was possibly the NFL MVP his second year until he got hurt", Dak was terrible his second year".

But you do realize Wentz was the number 2 pick in the draft. To get to that spot you either have to be a 2-14 or such team, or as the Eagles did, trade away a very high pick one year and multiple high draft picks in future years. This team had lots of needs in 2016, it wasn't a team that had a solid core of defensive and offensive players, needing mostly just a great quarterback to lead them. If Wentz had come here, you can't just assume he'd have turned out so well. Didn't have the coaching, for one, obviously.

And don't forget, Wentz was a FCS quarterback, with 20-20 hindsight, yes it was a great pick. But when you see championship winning quarterbacks like Vince Young turn out to be absolute flops, expecting Wentz to turn out so well was a huge risk. It worked out, but if he didn't, can you imagine the Eagles' fans reaction, if Wentz' first year was how he played in year two?

If the Cowboys go, say, 6-10 this year, won't have the no. 2 pick, have to trade up for a top spot, and you still have needs at receiver, safety and defensive tackle. Sure you might get another Wentz, but if he gets sacked 70 times a year like David Carr did because you didn't get needed o-line guys or the defensive players to keep your rookie quarterback to not have to put up 40 pts a game and go 75 yards every drive, he's not going to be very good, likely.

Too late now for 20-20 hindsight, we'll have to weather this year with Dak, so let's just watch and see what develops...

Great post. There's no doubt but what we'd be more than hard pressed to draft a QB as high as the Eagles did when they acquired Wentz. The price to pay would put a serious curse on us to function, much less to come close to qualifying for the playoffs. Needs other than QB would surely suffer.

To top it off, a 2-14 season would be tantamount to torture to bear, much less enjoy. There's no question but what there's a huge element of luck involved to strike it rich in the draft. Here's hoping we get lucky in the next offseason and draft to help us escape the throes of mediocrity.

Last edited:

Hennessy_King

Reaction score

LOL Wentz's team doesn't even need him to win a SB how good is he really? You want to talk about bus driving that's carson wentz. Wentz had a bad first year. It's his bad talent around him. They signed a bunch of FA to surround him with better talent than Dak has and he's all of a sudden a HOF QB. Crazy

Brax

Reaction score
Year 3 and nothing has changed. You can blame this on the coaches too but when the player also lacks talent the coaching can only do so much.

This front office just has no idea what they are doing. They sold the fan base the notion that Dak is a franchise QB after his rookie year.

Snake oil salesmanship.
Saved some good $$$ on Dak, Dak doesn't pass the eye test, I have seen every great DC QB play, Meredith, Morton, Staubach, White, Aikman, Romo, sorry but Dak just isn't close at this point you can't call him good. This has to be put on the coach's and the FO. If most fans can see his inaccuracy problems, his hesitation and poor footwork going back to year one then professional coaches and player personal managers should see it, maybe the real reason Wade Wilson was fired is because he told it like it was Dak's a great guy just not a NFL QB. All the great QB's have bad day's but I can not remember any of the above having 8 or 9 like this. He was working to improve timing, accuracy, reads all off season, if this is the result the DC are in big big trouble. Year one most excussed these problems as winning will do that, year two he got worse, year 3 didn't start too good and he looks realy poor, just think RG 3. Not to worry JJ says Dak is a super star. Trust Jerry he knows football.

CPanther95

Reaction score
Great post. There's no doubt but what we'd be more than hard pressed to draft a QB as high as the Eagles did when they acquired Wentz. The price to pay would put a serious curse on us to function, much less to come close to qualifying for the playoffs. Needs other than QB would surely suffer.

To top it off, a 2-14 season would be tantamount to torture to bear, much less enjoy. There's no question but what there's a huge element of luck involved to strike it rich in the draft. Here's hoping we get lucky in the next offseason and draft to help us escape the throes of mediocrity.

Wentz would have cost Zeke, Collins, Tapper and Taco.