Dak is not a Franchise QB

kskboys

Reaction score
Most other teams get proven top talent not send said talent to the curb replacing talent with less proven players.
That's not what was said.

All QB's need the O based on their talents. So, all good teams change their personnel to fit their QB. We, OTOH, get a slant running WR for a QB who doesn't throw slants well. Romo and RoyW.

And now, I don't know what we're doing.

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
That's not what was said.

All QB's need the O based on their talents. So, all good teams change their personnel to fit their QB. We, OTOH, get a slant running WR for a QB who doesn't throw slants well. Romo and RoyW.

And now, I don't know what we're doing.
Hey ksk, let me know if you figure it out. Disarray is the best description I can come up with for whatever that was on Sunday.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
Wentz would have cost Zeke, Collins, Tapper and Taco.
I don't think we would have had to give up as much as the Eagles. We had the 4th pick. Even if we had, you want a franchise Qb you can't be cheap. Wasting years to find one from the bottom of the draft is a crapshoot. From the looks of it we're going to be bad even with those players.

kskboys

Reaction score
Hey ksk, let me know if you figure it out. Disarray is the best description I can come up with for whatever that was on Sunday.
I prefer clusterfudge!!!!!!!!

No matter who is to blame, Sunday was a mess. If Dak is truly as bad as some are claiming(Screaming), then why wasn't the O tailored to put him in a better position to succeed?

People seem to have forgotten that we've had several QB's in who looked terrible here and decent elsewhere. Weeden comes to mind. Even Sanchez has had some good games elsewhere.

Is it Dak, or is it the scheme? Honestly, there's plenty of info that points either way. Maybe it's quite simply some of both?

So, might as well just sit back and see. 1 game w/ an ill prepared team just isn't going to tell us much. How we come out of it should tell us a ton.

kskboys

Reaction score
I don't think we would have had to give up as much as the Eagles. We had the 4th pick. Even if we had, you want a franchise Qb you can't be cheap. Wasting years to find one from the bottom of the draft is a crapshoot. From the looks of it we're going to be bad even with those players.
Wentz was not a sure thing. Trading up for him would have been extremely risky.

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I prefer clusterfudge!!!!!!!!

No matter who is to blame, Sunday was a mess. If Dak is truly as bad as some are claiming(Screaming), then why wasn't the O tailored to put him in a better position to succeed?

People seem to have forgotten that we've had several QB's in who looked terrible here and decent elsewhere. Weeden comes to mind. Even Sanchez has had some good games elsewhere.

Is it Dak, or is it the scheme? Honestly, there's plenty of info that points either way. Maybe it's quite simply some of both?

So, might as well just sit back and see. 1 game w/ an ill prepared team just isn't going to tell us much. How we come out of it should tell us a ton.
I don't know if Dak is as bad as he looked Sunday, but the output from him over the past 9 games (I started a thread about that) is alarming, regardless. Weeden and Sanchez having a good game here or there on other teams isn't really an indictment of the coaching staff here I feel. Dak has had some good games here too. He had a whole season where he played pretty well, in fact. I mean, I don't think the coaches are so inept that they would just stop doing what was working for him in his rookie year just for kicks, ya know?

The easiest, and most likely scenario, is that Dak benefited a LOT from Romo helping him in film study and during the game, the O-line isn't as great as it would his rookie year (but still isn't bad), and hopefully not, but just as likely is that Dak has regressed to his mean after outkicking his coverage in 2016.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
Taking EZ? Almost no risk at all. Depending on Romo? Huge risk due to injuries.
Yea I was ecstatic when they took Zeke when I knew they weren't going to get a QB. But I think they had blinders on where Romo's health was concern.

kskboys

Reaction score
I don't know if Dak is as bad as he looked Sunday, but the output from him over the past 9 games (I started a thread about that) is alarming, regardless. Weeden and Sanchez having a good game here or there on other teams isn't really an indictment of the coaching staff here I feel. Dak has had some good games here too. He had a whole season where he played pretty well, in fact. I mean, I don't think the coaches are so inept that they would just stop doing what was working for him in his rookie year just for kicks, ya know?

The easiest, and most likely scenario, is that Dak benefited a LOT from Romo helping him in film study and during the game, the O-line isn't as great as it would his rookie year (but still isn't bad), and hopefully not, but just as likely is that Dak has regressed to his mean after outkicking his coverage in 2016.
It's not their good games, it's how they looked so much more competent elsewhere. And I have to disagree, it's a huge indictment. Cassell looks better playing elsewhere also. It's not just one example, which could easily be an aberration, it's many.

Yes, it wouldn't be the first time we went away from what was working. It was actually made a big deal out of, that they were making it more complicated after Dak's rook season and putting more on his plate. So, yes, they went away from what was working. And yes, they under utilized the run game once again.

CPanther95

Reaction score

The higher #4 pick was why you wouldn't also have give up the 2018 #2 (Williams).

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Plenty of blame to go around after Sunday. It's not like we got blown out, but it still stung a little.

kskboys

Reaction score

Oh, and it wasn't Romo helping Dak. It was Sanchez. A big deal was made out of it at the time.

Reactions: G2

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
It's not their good games, it's how they looked so much more competent elsewhere. And I have to disagree, it's a huge indictment. Cassell looks better playing elsewhere also. It's not just one example, which could easily be an aberration, it's many.

Yes, it wouldn't be the first time we went away from what was working. It was actually made a big deal out of, that they were making it more complicated after Dak's rook season and putting more on his plate. So, yes, they went away from what was working. And yes, they under utilized the run game once again.
Was the running game underutilized because the Panthers were loading up to shut it down and they needed Dak to make some throws to back them off? Was it a gameflow issue? Seemed like penalties and bad plays resulted in a lot of long yardage 2nd and 3rd downs which put more pressure on the passing game. I haven't watched it again so I'm just shooting from the hip there but that is certainly how it felt. FWIW the Giants have already said their gameplan will be to shut down the run and make Dak beat them throwing it so it could be a replay of Carolina if they can't counter that. I'd certainly like to see Zeke utilized more on screens and short routes to get the defense to at least take their foot off the hammer when it comes to getting in the backfield.

As for the other QB's, if they were consistently better on those other teams I would be more prone to agree with you. None of them have had any sustained success anywhere they've been. A couple games where they looked serviceable doesn't really sway my argument there.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
They should have brought Sanchez back then, because apparently he helped a lot.
That's what was suggested last year. Why get rid of the dude in the first place? He was a cheap veteran QB with a great rapport with the starting QB. Sure, he wasn't a great player but neither are the QBs currently stinking up the back up position, who have absolutely no value whatsoever.

kskboys

Reaction score
That's what was suggested last year. Why get rid of the dude in the first place? He was a cheap veteran QB with a great rapport with the starting QB. Sure, he wasn't a great player but neither are the QBs currently stinking up the back up position, who have absolutely no value whatsoever.
Rush makes Sanchez look like John Elway.