Dak is not the answer

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
I thought Bell LT played better than I expected. Whats happening is defense are forcing Dak to stay in pocket and make throws and he is failing that test. Its a QB league.

It's on the coaching staff to put Dak and Company in position to succeed. Dak has beaten teams from the pocket before. It's not like the Cowboys called rollout passes all game long throughout 2016; when he was Offensive Rookie of the Year.

There's things Garrett and Linehan can do schematically to help Prescott. Russell Wilson is still a better QB on the move than he is in the pocket, but Russell Wilson isn't stuck with a stubborn and/or inept staff.

Aikmaniac

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I thought Bell LT played better than I expected. Whats happening is defense are forcing Dak to stay in pocket and make throws and he is failing that test. Its a QB league.

Sure, but he's young and in his second year. He will get better in the pocket. I haven't seen the all-22 footage, but are the WRs even getting open? Collinsworth mentioned how ungodly the Philly secondary is and every throw I saw needed to be perfect to be completed.

Like I mentioned, Dak was understandably nervous about his blindside this week. He'll get over that when he trusts the LT again. When Tyron's back, Dak will be better.

Aikmaniac

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
It's on the coaching staff to put Dak and Company in position to succeed. Dak has beaten teams from the pocket before. It's not like the Cowboys called rollout passes all game long throughout 2016; when he was Offensive Rookie of the Year.

There's things Garrett and Linehan can do schematically to help Prescott. Russell Wilson is still a better QB on the move than he is in the pocket, but Russell Wilson isn't stuck with a stubborn and/or inept staff.

And what has Russell Wilson had his entire career that Tony never had and Dak doesn't presently have? Defense.

PBCCowboy

Reaction score
They picked Zeke 4th overall.
Dak was picked 135th.
Do I have to elaborate?

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I think people are just asking for a QB that can be remotely accurate and not look like noodle arm Tebow out there. Asking him to set his feet isn't really much of a high bar, now is it?

So he's a Tim Tebow noodle arm? Are you going to judge him based on a bad two game stretch or no? What am I doing? I already know the answer. I hope you guys get your wish. Cowboy fans like you deserve whatever misfortunes we get as fans.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
Sure, but he's young and in his second year. He will get better in the pocket. I haven't seen the all-22 footage, but are the WRs even getting open? Collinsworth mentioned how ungodly the Philly secondary is and every throw I saw needed to be perfect to be completed.

Like I mentioned, Dak was understandably nervous about his blindside this week. He'll get over that when he trusts the LT again. When Tyron's back, Dak will be better.

It was all the coaches last night. The offensive gameplan was the scared one, not Dak. It was all "let's help Byron Bell with max protection and try these short little routes so Dak gets the ball out of his hands before he's sacked ten times".

One thing I did not see last night? How about some screen passes? That's how offenses slow a pass rush and make the defense think twice about peeling back their ears on every single snap. Basic stuff this Cowboys staff just doesn't do.

Aven8

Reaction score
Again, you have seriously low expectations for a QB. We have built in rollouts, play actions, read option plays. We even do more screens, and short routes that sadly end up a few yards short of the first down marker.

Dak did just fine in this system last year - it has been catered to him. Anyone saying otherwise is doing their best to take blame off of one guy and placing it on everyone else.

Again, I mentioned what Warner said about the WR's but you assume this is all on Dak? Lol. Open your eyes Matt! The WR's suck. Nothing has been catered to him outside of the zone read. The short passes last night were all schemed because Tyron was out. But keep your agenda going bud.....

mattjames2010

Reaction score
You’re right. Good Players never have rough patches in their careers........

How silly of me.

No one said young players don't have bad games. You aren't listening.

There are fundamental things you look to at every position that you hope a player progresses on - when you see them regress, that is a problem. Dak's footwork has regressed, and I'd even say his calls at the line have gotten worse.

You want to know one of the main reasons Bortles had such a dropoff from 2015 to 2016? It had to do with his regression with his throwing mechanics. They seemed to have had it figured out in 2015, but in 2016 he fell back into his old habit.

With Dak, while he footwork was still bad last year, it looks even worse now. This isn't Dak making a bad read due to a defense confusing him, it's fundamentals he's screwing up. You can teach Dak whatever you want about reading defenses, if he can't get the basics of quarterbacking down, he's not making it in the league.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Again, I mentioned what Warner said about the WR's but you assume this is all on Dak? Lol. Open your eyes Matt! The WR's suck. Nothing has been catered to him outside of the zone read. The short passes last night were all schemed because Tyron was out. But keep your agenda going bud.....

I don't care what Warner had to say - first off, you're not his mouth. And I don't need Warner's spin to see Dak was incredibly inaccurate yesterday. Throwing 20 feet above Beasley is not on Beasley, throwing into double coverage away from Dez is not on Dez.

You can run crisp routes, it doesn't matter if the QB can't hit you.

Aven8

Reaction score
I don't care what Warner had to say - first off, you're not his mouth. And I don't need Warner's spin to see Dak was incredibly inaccurate yesterday. Throwing 20 feet above Beasley is not on Beasley, throwing into double coverage away from Dez is not on Dez.

You can run crisp routes, it doesn't matter if the QB can't hit you.

Oh he was awful yesterday, no doubt. But this is a team game. And our WR's suck. Starting with the 15 million dollar man. I used Warner to back up my argument that they run bad routes and suck and he confirmed it with film.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
No one said young players don't have bad games. You aren't listening.

There are fundamental things you look to at every position that you hope a player progresses on - when you see them regress, that is a problem. Dak's footwork has regressed, and I'd even say his calls at the line have gotten worse.

You want to know one of the main reasons Bortles had such a dropoff from 2015 to 2016? It had to do with his regression with his throwing mechanics. They seemed to have had it figured out in 2015, but in 2016 he fell back into his old habit.

With Dak, while he footwork was still bad last year, it looks even worse now. This isn't Dak making a bad read due to a defense confusing him, it's fundamentals he's screwing up. You can teach Dak whatever you want about reading defenses, if he can't get the basics of quarterbacking down, he's not making it in the league.

We have not seen this "regression" from Dak until his protection went away. Let's not even consider the mess at left tackle right now; the entire line play has not been up to par this year.

If Prescott is still playing like this after there isn't a jailbreak on every pass play, then I will start worrying. One or two bad games with a team collapsing around him doesn't mean Dak suddenly forgot how to play quarterback.

DFWJC

Reaction score
It was all the coaches last night. The offensive gameplan was the scared one, not Dak. It was all "let's help Byron Bell with max protection and try these short little routes so Dak gets the ball out of his hands before he's sacked ten times".

One thing I did not see last night? How about some screen passes? That's how offenses slow a pass rush and make the defense think twice about peeling back their ears on every single snap. Basic stuff this Cowboys staff just doesn't do.
You don't think the superior team on the field last night was Philly?
They seemed to have better players in almost every position group.
Sure, coaching always helps a lot, but without Zeke, Smith, and Lee...they hands down have a better team. imo

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score
Maybe it isn't Dak, just like maybe it wasn't Romo.

Can't win with Romo. Can't win with Dak. What QB can Dallas win with?

Dallas can't win with Dak but every year lesser QBs can somehow lead their teams to better records?

Minnesota: 8-2 with backup Case Keenum
Jacksonville: 7-3 with Bortles who's numbers aren't as good as Dak's
Rams: 7-3 with Goff who's numbers are currently a little better than Dak's
Tennessee: 6-4 with Mariotta who has horrible numbers

Why can't Dallas win with Dak when comparable or worse QBs are able to win?

Maybe it isn't the QB.
Its the qb AND the coach

mattjames2010

Reaction score
We have not seen this "regression" from Dak until his protection went away. Let's not even consider the mess at left tackle right now; the entire line play has not been up to par this year.

If Prescott is still playing like this after there isn't a jailbreak on every pass play, then I will start worrying. One or two bad games with a team collapsing around him doesn't mean Dak suddenly forgot how to play quarterback.

What were his pressures last night? He wasn't under duress the entire game. Protection was alright, protection most QBs in the league deal with on a weekly basis honestly.

This is a lot of spinning.