Dak Prescott Sets NFL Passing-Rushing TD Record Cam Newton and Mike Vick Never Could

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
It's indicative of an apparent ability Dak has...if we're interpreting stats being reflective of his abilities.

His mobility and running ability is nothing to shake a stick at.

That's the point.

I don't have a problem with that. The only issue I have is saying that it is something this quarterback or that quarterback hasn't done as if that sets a bar. What sets the bar is how the game is played today. If a player achieves something that none of his peers are achieving, then it is reflective of his abilities compared to those peers.

For example, Roger "the Dodger" Staubach earned a lot of praise during his day for his scrambling ability. However, he only had 20 rushing TDs in 11 seasons. (Dak has 18 in three years.) Staubach also only completed 57 percent of his passes for his career with 153 TDs and 109 ints. for an 83.4 rating. He'd get drummed out of the league today if he had those passing numbers, but we know that he wouldn't have those passing numbers in today's game.

Instead, Staubach's standard was his peers. Players like Terry Bradshaw who had a 70.9 career rating. (51.9 percent completion rate, 212 TDs, 210 ints., 32 rushing TDs in 14 years) in an age where there was less emphasis on passing numbers.

Newton is a fair comparison to Dak since they are contemporaries. He has 24 TD passes and 4 rushing TDs this year. He had 22 and 6 last year and he had 19 and 5 in 2016. Dak has 22 and 6 this year, 22 and 6 last year and 23 and 6 the year before. If you factor in completion percentage and interceptions, Prescott should be considered a better QB right now than Cam, for what that is worth.

Last edited:

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
https://www.profootballfocus.com/ne...ighest-graded-quarterbacks-in-the-nfl-in-2018

18. DAK PRESCOTT, DALLAS COWBOYS
Overall Grade: 74.6

The arrival of Amari Cooper helped Prescott a lot, but it still didn’t elevate his play enough to drive him up significantly in overall grade. He recorded 10 big-time throws without Cooper in Weeks 1-8 (seven games) and another 10 with him in Weeks 9-17 (nine games).

How do you measure intangibles and leadership? They dont have a QB rating for that.

I think with a marginal Oline, average throwing stats are what you would expect for a 3rd year QB. Using his legs he is top 5. Clutch he has to be top 5. Leadership and winning he has to be top 5.

So those that look ONLY at throwing statistics for a young QB in a run first offense with a poor blocking line are really missing the boat on Dak.

If you want to look at wins he is #2 in the NFL only to Tom Brady in wins since 2016.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
why is the cut off 20 and 5? wouldn't 27 passing td's and 1 rush td be even better?

40 would be even better but what Prescott did set the record. What if's, what if's what if's and wouldn't this, wouldn't that be better doesn't matter because Prescott has the record.with what he has done.

mardwin

Reaction score
How do you measure intangibles and leadership? They dont have a QB rating for that.

I think with a marginal Oline, average throwing stats are what you would expect for a 3rd year QB. Using his legs he is top 5. Clutch he has to be top 5. Leadership and winning he has to be top 5.

So those that look ONLY at throwing statistics for a young QB in a run first offense with a poor blocking line are really missing the boat on Dak.

If you want to look at wins he is #2 in the NFL only to Tom Brady in wins since 2016.

All QBs are considered leaders in their own rights, doubt anyone would consider that as a primary differentiator. Would you say Dak is a better leader than Aaron Rodgers, hence a better QB? Aaron is known for being a diva but nobody is debating he's not a top3 QB in this league.

To say Dak plays behind a marginal o-line is very inaccurate. Dak is the primary reason the Cowboys lead the league in sacks allowed, he has poor pocket awareness, holds on to the ball for too long and tends to leave the pocket prematurely (doesn't step up).

27-20 was Mark Sanchez record in his first 3 years but everyone knew the Jets were winning in spite of him and not because of him. The Cowboys relay more in Zeke running the football than Dak is making plays, he's not consistent enough as a passer to be the reason they are winning like the guy (Tom Brady) you just compared him to in wins and losses.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Which proves my point, further artificially limiting it to the first three seasons makes this an even stupider fake record.

Incidentally, even with the first three season limitation, Newton missed this "record" by exactly one touchdown. At the same time, Dak got to the record by stat padding in a meaningless game he should have been sitting down in. It's a thin line... on the way to owning imaginary records.

It's obvious you're just a Prescott hater and are drawing straws TRYING to discredit what Prescott has done. You only say it's a fake record because none of the QB's the Prescott haters always TRY to compare him to don't hold that record.

Sydla

Reaction score
https://www.profootballfocus.com/ne...ighest-graded-quarterbacks-in-the-nfl-in-2018

The arrival of Amari Cooper helped Prescott a lot, but it still didn’t elevate his play enough to drive him up significantly in overall grade. He recorded 10 big-time throws without Cooper in Weeks 1-8 (seven games) and another 10 with him in Weeks 9-17 (nine games).

LOL.

I love PFFs terminology they use. "Big time" throws? What's that?

What terminology do they have for RBs? Number of "sick" runs?

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score

Lol, what a hypocrite, smh.

Someone posts stats that put Dak in a positive light and you come trolling out “ooooh, d0nt llet theZe stATs ruin da hAterz naruhtive!!”

Then someone posts stats you don’t like and you got ready-made excuses lined up “but he’s in his 3rd year, marginal o-line, these stats don’t capture Dak’s heart and leadership!”

aikemirv

Reaction score
"First three seasons."

Disingenuously?

The consecutive part has to do with consistency....

First 3 seasons Dak - 67 and 18 / Cam 64 and 28 - hmmm

The fact of this stat is that, as I mentioned when somebody else posted it , is that 20 passing td's is not an accomplishment of note

Sydla

Reaction score
I'll be honest.

I never thought Newton or Vick were really good NFL QBs anyway. They were great athletes and highlight reel type players but I never considered them great QBs in the mold of guys like Rodgers or Brady.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Dallas Cowboys quarterback Dak Prescott went into the NFL record books today, having at least 20 touchdown passes and five rushing touchdowns in each of his first three seasons.

What makes the stat even more impressive is that no other quarterback in the history of the league has done this in consecutive seasons. Amazingly, Prescott has done it in all three of his NFL seasons.

https://www.fanduel.com/theduel/pos...d-record-cam-newton-and-mike-vick-never-could
Also Dak has started every game in his first 3 years. I think that’s some kind of record at least for the Cowboys.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

Haters gonna hate. Let me ask you this, how many wins and losses since Cooper arrived?

silvrNblue

Reaction score
Dallas Cowboys quarterback Dak Prescott went into the NFL record books today, having at least 20 touchdown passes and five rushing touchdowns in each of his first three seasons.

What makes the stat even more impressive is that no other quarterback in the history of the league has done this in consecutive seasons. Amazingly, Prescott has done it in all three of his NFL seasons.

https://www.fanduel.com/theduel/pos...d-record-cam-newton-and-mike-vick-never-could
yeah but he sucks, so let him play backup at a cheap price....right? ROFL I wonder, where o where are all those daksabum club members?