Dak Won't be able to get Cooper the ball

Kevinicus

Reaction score
The deep ball down the sideline was half Gallup's fault, half Dak's. After the game, Dak said he wished he'd put more on the throw because Gallup would have scored. It was underthrown, but Gallup still dropped the underthrow.

Dak's mistake was the difference between a 40-yard gain and a TD. Gallup's mistake was the difference between a 40-yard gain and punting on the next play.

That's no drop, it hit the defender.

lqmac1

Reaction score
and yet Dak could have sealed the end of the game with that pass to Gallup at the end of the game but threw it short. Cooper's route running and YAC are winning right now. Dak is playing fine but I feel this is as good as it gets with Dak. Those passes, Dak had time to throw. He still struggles making quick decisions.
We can win with Dak in the right offensive scheme. When you’re getting sacked 4-5 times a game, it’s human nature to release the ball a little earlier. He’ll be just fine once we get Tyron and Fred back

Nexx

Reaction score
dak can get cooper the ball, on short patterns. Dak's deep ball is broken.

TheHerd

Reaction score
How short could that ball to Gallup have been. It was in both hands.

It was very short, like maybe 7 yards. Gallup made a supreme effort to come back and the ball still hit the defender first.

Dak had a few bad throws. Out of 30. Pointing out the bad ones shouldn't diminish an overall great game. I'd have loved Dak to have hit Gallup on the bomb for many reasons. But they throw was not good.

But Dak's play to that point gave us a big cushion so it wasn't a make or break play. I'm glad he took the shot.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Did you see how Gallup had to pull back? Go back and watch. He had his guy beat. If Dak delivers that in stride, it's a TD.

If you watch any NFL game, there are throws that are far from perfect by all QBs.

You can take the concept to any area of the game.

I spend a lot of time studying he OL an DL. On many many plays, just one slightly different better block by 1 blocker would result in a huge gain. Sometimes it just one step different by the RB that would have been the difference a in few yards vs a huge gain.

Fans judge QB as if there was zero pass rush. Fans just focus on where the ball arrived relative to the receiver without acknowledging what happened in the pocket.

Many of those youtube wanna-be analysts love to point out that a pass was off target or that Dak didn't throw to an open receiver but they rarely look at what is happening in the pocket when the QB throws the ball. I know some of those guys have the All-22, but they'll intentionally don't use it on many plays because it shows both the QB and the receiver in the same frame and goes against their narrative.

People forget how many off-target throws Romo made. Crossing routes were a bit of an issue for him as he had a significant number of passes that were behind the receiver. One that was behind Witten and was kicked up in the air as Witten's foot came back while running sticks in my mind. It resulted in an INT and a pic-six.

Dak completed 70% the passes in the game and it was not because they were dink-and-dunk passes.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Amari Cooper has certainly justified his 1st round expenditure, in my humble opinion.

I've got a feeling that each of the other teams in the NFL might feel exactly the same.
Seeing how he pulled away from the Washington defenders, he'll do just fine!:thumbup:

Last edited:

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
Most teams won't play until Sunday, but Amari may already be a lock for offensive player of the week.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yup, and as a huge Star Trek fan I always read that word in Patrick Stewart's voice lol

I didn't watch much Star Trek but I did find the Borg interesting and the "Resistance is Futile" quote stayed with me.

If you hear it in Patrick Stewart's voice you may be referring to something else because what I remember is the computer type voice of the Borg.

GMO415

Reaction score
Where's all the bus driver people?

Dak threw Cooper open on both TDs..... something that a lot of fans say he couldn't do.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
They are NFL WRs. I've seen middle school kids make that catch.

NFL Rule of Thumb: If the ball hits the WR in both hands, it should be a catch.

In regards to the goalline play, if you've ever tried throwing a football while moving backwards, it's really hard to judge distance. You basically have to tell yourself that you're going "aim" to throw it well past the receiver because the normal hand-eye coordination that you have for throwing a pass just doesn't account for the backwards motion. It's the same but opposite when the QB is running forward in that he has to "aim" short.

It's probably not a great idea to spend a lot of time practicing throwing while moving backwards because enough times doing that will result in normal throws going past the target.

Romo once talked about the concept in an interview. He basically said you just have to remind yourself to throw it longer/shorter due to backward/forward movement but that it's not really something you can practice and it's really just a guess.

I have no idea what happened when Dak slipped while throwing. I think he rushed that throw. That really shouldn't happen on turf indoors.
As for the goal line play, yeah, there are a lot of other QBs who might have missed that, but there are others would wouldn't have. Overall, it's understandable.

Watch that sideline pass again, (exactly 4:00 left in the game) but this time, notice how the ball is deflected of Dunbar's arm, which is why a sliding to a stop Gallup couldn't catch it.'''Bad throw.

The "slip" looked like one of his patented hop throws, and his own torque caused him to lose his footing.

guag

Tertiary Adjunct of Unimatrix 01
Reaction score
I didn't watch much Star Trek but I did find the Borg interesting and the "Resistance is Futile" quote stayed with me.

If you hear it in Patrick Stewart's voice you may be referring to something else because what I remember is the computer type voice of the Borg.
You're right, it's mostly said in that weird distorted computer voice, but he does say it himself quite a few times during the course of the series (I think I'm thinking of the Best of Both Worlds episodes where Picard is assimilated by the Borg, which is where the photo is from)

EDIT: Here's him saying it in that classic 2 part episode:

Actually I remember hearing that the reason the Borg pronounce "futile" in a British accent is because Patrick Stewart was one of the first to say it on screen, but I could have my facts wrong on that one.

Ok, nerd mode off now. :)

Last edited:

AlienBoy

Reaction score
To be fair, the 90 yard TD and 40 yard TD yesterday, skewed those stats heavily. While I agree Cooper was a great acquisition, and Dak actually seems like a better QB with him, Coop made both of those plays happen.
Didn’t Montana and Rice make a career out of that? Maybe we need to re-evaluate Montana. It was all Jerry Rice. AND NO! I’m not comparing Dak to Montana. ;)
basher-saints.gif

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Didn’t Montana and Rice make a career out of that? Maybe we need to re-evaluate Montana. It was all Jerry Rice. AND NO! I’m not comparing Dak to Montana. ;)
basher-saints.gif
Montana helped make the careers of many receivers....and if we were talking about 3 games between the 2 of them.......well, we wouldn't even be talking about them.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
You're right, it's mostly said in that weird distorted computer voice, but he does say it himself quite a few times during the course of the series (I think I'm thinking of the Best of Both Worlds episodes where Picard is assimilated by the Borg, which is where the photo is from)

EDIT: Here's him saying it in that classic 2 part episode:

Actually I remember hearing that the reason the Borg pronounce "futile" in a British accent is because Patrick Stewart was one of the first to say it on screen, but I could have my facts wrong on that one.

Ok, nerd mode off now. :)

No, I'm pretty certain they always pronounced it with a long "i"....and Picard said that phrase a few times in quoting the Borg, when they weren't around, IIRC.

AlienBoy

Reaction score
Because of extreme effort by Gallup to stop and come back through the defender. That was a bad throw, brother....but not as bad as the easy TD he shorted...or the McNabb like skipper, when he lost his footing for no reason.

Other than those, he played a decent game though.
I think he stepped on a loogie!
basher-saints.gif

guag

Tertiary Adjunct of Unimatrix 01
Reaction score
No, I'm pretty certain they always pronounced it with a long "i"....and Picard said that phrase a few times in quoting the Borg, when they weren't around, IIRC.
I think you're right, the Borg did say the phrase before Picard did. I guess I always assumed that since they say "futile" the "British" way that maybe Pat Stewart was one of the first to say it during production or something, and maybe that's why the Borg ended up pronouncing it that way. Or I just think way too much about this stuff. :laugh:

Nice to see some other TNG fans on here BTW